• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there an Easier Pulling/Starting Mountain Sled

M
Oct 23, 2013
i have a 2017 m8000 this has helped me a lot.
cold only i pull the rope out slowly 4 times
then when i want to get it to start i pull the rope out
about 1.5 ft then give a hard pull, pulling right from
where the handle is,is way tough, if you can get your timing right
2 people can pull the rope one on each side just put a short rope
through the handle so each have a grip

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I don't think you understand 2 stroke engines very well if you think your suggestion is helpful. There isn't any oiling going on, there isn't anything to "loosen up". The best thing for the cold engine it to get it started and get it warm asap. Pulling it over dry and cold isn't very good for it.

Fortunately I don't live where it gets -30 or -40 pretty much ever anymore. I used too, still wouldn't do what you suggest on ANY engine. Cold starts are the hardest on them. Besides you are still advocating pulling it over more than necessary as an easier way to start it? The fewer times you pull the rope the easier the start is right? Ignition on or off is the same amount of force required so the fewer pulls the better.

I'm not sure you understand 2 stroke engines very well...or physics.
There is residual premix (rod bearings, pistons, and cylinders) and raw oil (crank bearings) left on every surface inside the engine. It is by no means dry. Depending on how long it sits, the fuel evaporates and leaves the oil behind. The oil alone does not flow as well as the gas/oil mixture in a warm or running engine. The cold oil resists flow and "sticks" the parts together. Due to this, and denser cold air that is trying to be compressed in the morning, it takes more force to pull over a cold engine and get it up to the same rotating speed as it does a warm engine. No one will dispute that.

Work=Force*Distance. If you pull the engine over slow with a smaller force multiple times it could add up to more work than applying a larger force a fewer amount of times. However, increased force on components, whether in the engine or in your body, increases stresses on the components. Decreasing stress on the sled components and the person trying to start the cold sled is what this thread is about.

I don't kill my ignition, but I do pull really cold engines over about 3 times slow before I give a big rip on the starter rope.

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
Power valves

When I was preseasoning my sleds , both a 16 CTEC 600 and a 18 Ctec 800 I noticed that when the engine shuts off, it does indeed open the power valves.
Thought I was seeing things at first, but they both do it.
So that could actually make them easier in some way easier to pull over.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
That's good to hear. I have the new Cobra cord and the new Arctic cat oil to try. I sure hope it helps.

I know others have said it could be better with those items.
I used both last year and can’t really say it was much different on my 14.
Maybe slightly easier with the oil, maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P
Feb 17, 2009
chiloquin oregon
My 2010 m8 is a bear to start. I put a old style 60w lite bulb in the engine comp. over night and start it before I leave home. I get to the snow and it starts easy. My new High Country 8000 pulls hard but has electric start.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
My 2010 m8 is a bear to start. I put a old style 60w lite bulb in the engine comp. over night and start it before I leave home. I get to the snow and it starts easy. My new High Country 8000 pulls hard but has electric start.

I have to do something similar with my wifes XF1100. I hates to start on a sub 10 degree day. I have a switched outlet at our camp and i put i hair drier in the engine compartment the night before, about 20 minutes before we start getting ready i flip the switch.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I'm not sure you understand 2 stroke engines very well...or physics.
There is residual premix (rod bearings, pistons, and cylinders) and raw oil (crank bearings) left on every surface inside the engine. It is by no means dry. Depending on how long it sits, the fuel evaporates and leaves the oil behind. The oil alone does not flow as well as the gas/oil mixture in a warm or running engine. The cold oil resists flow and "sticks" the parts together. Due to this, and denser cold air that is trying to be compressed in the morning, it takes more force to pull over a cold engine and get it up to the same rotating speed as it does a warm engine. No one will dispute that.

Work=Force*Distance. If you pull the engine over slow with a smaller force multiple times it could add up to more work than applying a larger force a fewer amount of times. However, increased force on components, whether in the engine or in your body, increases stresses on the components. Decreasing stress on the sled components and the person trying to start the cold sled is what this thread is about.

I don't kill my ignition, but I do pull really cold engines over about 3 times slow before I give a big rip on the starter rope.

The oil sticks the parts together.... LOL. Sure it does. You do know the the crank bearings are big ball bearings right? Cold air is harder to compress? That is REALLY reaching now!

You are certainly right though, more pulls are better than fewer. That is a pretty entertaining post. Not much for facts but pretty funny for sure.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
The oil sticks the parts together.... LOL. Sure it does. You do know the the crank bearings are big ball bearings right? Cold air is harder to compress? That is REALLY reaching now!

You are certainly right though, more pulls are better than fewer. That is a pretty entertaining post. Not much for facts but pretty funny for sure.

Ever try to start your pickup when its 10 below with 15-40 oil in it? Doesn't crank nearly as easy as it does when it's 75 degrees out does it. Imagine try to start that same pickup with a pull rope, maybe you'll get the picture.:face-icon-small-dis

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Ever try to start your pickup when its 10 below with 15-40 oil in it? Doesn't crank nearly as easy as it does when it's 75 degrees out does it. Imagine try to start that same pickup with a pull rope, maybe you'll get the picture.:face-icon-small-dis

Funny, cranking my pick-up over always takes the same effort regardless of the weather. The key doesn't seem to be any harder to turn in the cold. I also park it in my heated garage so even though it is 0 this morning I bet it starts right up. They also recommend 5w-20 for my truck because diesel pick-ups are a waste of money.

Still only makes sense to start it as quickly as it will start. Extra pulls are extra effort. Hillarious what people can talk themselves into...

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
pulling over slowly a few times to make sure things are freed up, before giving full strong starting pulls, is actually a thing with sleds. it is even in the cat cold start procedure in the manuals.

Ski

C
Dec 27, 2012
2 man pull

The best I found without es is a rope through the handle and 2 man
pull for cold start-after it warms up my 2017 m8 snopro
is very easy to start with one hand and me on the sled.

Premium Features