• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project SS: Skinny Sled

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Video yes........7468 times yes!

As soon as you revealed anything the big 3 really wanted they will just legally steal it with lawyers anyhow. :)

Might as well show us everything.
My curious fabricating mind wants to see every detail!!!!!!

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Very nice build...wish I had the talent and resources to do something like this! I love the design and has nice small touches like the skidoo logo on the seat and polaris flap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
very cool to see some one else going skinny! building 2 right now out of some old phazers one will be a r and d to see if I like it enough to throw some real power at one. the other will be a sand sled for the dunes! im sitting at a 23 inch ski stance right now buts it can go in or out by two inches

T
Oct 17, 2010
Midway, UT
Most sleds are fat because the secondary clutch is placed on the outside of the bulk head. Then the primary clutch has to line up with the secondary, and makes it even wider. In order to make it as skinny as possible, I moved the secondary clutch up and over the bulkhead allowing me to center the engine.

a>

TKI belt drive
a>

had to shorten the jackshaft
a>

Not much room for the pipe, so I had to make a custom one. The exhaust wrap worked great at keeping the heat in the pipe. There is absolutly no room on either side of the engine so I had to snake it around and up over the primary clutch to keep the same volume.
a>

One of the hardest parts was deciding where the heck I was going to put the muffler/can. Ended up making it the same shape as the belly pan and placing it there. Was kind of surprised at how quiet it was first time i started it up. This pic is looking down into the belly pan. Sorry the pics arn't that good, only had my i phone.
a>

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
Did not see if it met your expectations for handeling? Did it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Pipe shape looks like it came off a 2 stroke dirt bike. Nice work! Pull rope looks like it might be a little tough to get too if you are in a tight spot on the other side of the sled. Any belt heat issues with having the belt so short and the exhaust right there?

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I like your your sled actually looks good and not like some homely garage built project. Most home built custom sleds look terrible. Your's looks modern and futuristic!

The skinny concept is interesting. I recall reading about Arctic Cat's skinny mini project back when the Firecat came out. How does it ride and handle? I remember how tippy the my old Polaris Galaxy 440 was. I think it had a 28" or 30" ski stance.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
This was my plan, but since you did it I'm going to have to step up the game. Well done.

My biggest thing is that the 800 is a bit bigger and minimum power requirements for me.

If you have more plans, I got some ideas for you on the dl

T
Oct 17, 2010
Midway, UT
I would be interested In bringing my skinny sled to one of the intermountain snowmobile shows so people can see it up close instead of just pics. I know they use to have a mod show but I don't think they do it anymore. Anyone have any connections to the show? I would love to get some of these member builds in, I think they would be a popular addition to the show!

Premium Features