• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Mountain Performance Inc, Stage 1 & 2 Supercharger

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Another thing I would do. . I know that you can buy a small pelican box for like a mp3 player or a Ipod/iphone for a decent price. it would be a great way to keep the Gems controller free from moisture, as well as protect it. Would be a slick little unit. I know the gem controller is suppose to be waterproof but I have seen alot with ziplock bags over them so It tells me it is a worry of some people. The pelican box would be clean, compared to a ziploc.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
To a certain degree I am very envious of you. You have a summer project that you are undertaking and it is something you have not done before. It makes summer go by much faster and for me at least, there is a real sense of accomplishment when a project like that is finished. The downside is that you have to wait for snow to see how your project turned out. I put an MCX 180 on my Nytro over Memorial Day weekend and got to put about 20 miles on it after the install. What a blast, can't wait for powder. Read and reread all of the instructions and things will go great and if there are any questions, the great folks on this forum are more than willing to help. In general, snowmobilers are a generous group that are more than willing to help and share their knowledge. GOOD LUCK and enjoy your simmer project.
icon7.gif

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks great, I love aftermarket bolt ons. Projects like this are fun. I would consider myself pretty darn mechanical, and that amount of pieces are intimidating. I am sure that with the use of the manual and you will be set to go. Advice from me(knowing nothing personally about installing MPI products). A couple points to follow closely..

Thanks for the tips.
Sounds like some very good advice to me!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This afternoon I was taking in my RZRs for their yearly service just before the SnoWest party this weekend. While I was there I was talking to the tech that has done all the mechanical work on my sleds and mentioned that I am installing a MPI Supercharger this summer.

He smiled and gave me that knowing look and said, "I guess that means I will be visiting your garage this summer"..

Ryan told me that he takes about 10 hours on average to do the install at Rexburg Motor Sports, Said that its not particularly hard, but that it requires a lot of attention to detail and may require a few tools that I don't have in my chest yet.

Now, Ryan knows my lack of mechanical engine experience, and said I will be able to do this, but he suggested I should start right away as it may take me, on my schedule, most of the summer to get it done :face-icon-small-hap

What have I gotten myself into???

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Now, Ryan knows my lack of mechanical engine experience, and said I will be able to do this, but he suggested I should start right away as it may take me, on my schedule, most of the summer to get it done :face-icon-small-hap

What have I gotten myself into???

HAHA, thats funny, Good point he made about having certain tools as well. I would think that in a week of a few hours a night and a good saturday and sunday you should be able to have this done.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So last night I took out the installation manual and like MPI said, read it cover to cover before I did anything else.

There is a LOT to do on this install, and there are some very specific new tools that I will need to go and purchase BEFORE I begin this little summer endevor of mine.

Bottom line, if a certified computer geek like me can do this and not grenade my sled, ANYBODY can do it!! :face-icon-small-hap

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
You will do just fine. Like the mechanic said, take your time. Heck, you have all summer to get it done so there is no rush. By December you will have forgotten all about the install and will be enjoying the benefits. I would be more worried about having to do something with the computer. Have Fun!!!!
icon7.gif

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Oh ya, make no mistake about it, I am JAZZED about this project and looking forward to it, but it's going to be the first time I have ever gone into a sled engine.

This will be fun, educational, and probably splattered with lots of "Colorful Metaphors" when things don't go right the first time around.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Oh ya, make no mistake about it, I am JAZZED about this project and looking forward to it, but it's going to be the first time I have ever gone into a sled engine.

This will be fun, educational, and probably splattered with lots of "Colorful Metaphors" when things don't go right the first time around.

What do you need to open the engine up for other than to add the PTO on the mag side? Are you putting a head shim in?

If I lived closer I would install it for you just to have the knowledge of doing it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I didn't mean that in the literal sence of taking the engine apart, but more in even touching it!

I am going to ask for a copy of the installation manual in electronic form so I can cut and paste it into the thread as I go through the process.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Hey Christopher, what extra tools do you need? I might start ordering and acquiring while I'm still over here, that way I don't need to waste time when I get back.

Thanks

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
←snow∞motion→;2743521 said:
Hey Christopher, what extra tools do you need? I might start ordering and acquiring while I'm still over here, that way I don't need to waste time when I get back.

Thanks
Will post up a list of the special tools they said to acquire before you begin the install. I am sure some of the motor heads would have these, but they are not in my tool chest.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris, make sure you show us some nice photos of your install. When is your start date? Should be fun:becky:
You can count on a Blow by Blow description just like I did last summer on the other mods.

Start date will be after the SnoWest 4th of July party is done and over with!

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I installed a supercharge kit from MPI on my Nytro and RZR 4. The Nytro was much easier to install then the RZR 4. I enjoyed installing the kit on the Nytro. This summer I'm going to take if off and clean everything, check the valves and weld the bolts for the A-arms on the subframe. Right now I have my tunnel off getting powder coated yamaha blue. I need to install it with my skinz seat, air running boards and bumper. This will be my back up sled. After I get it done I will start on my new project. Looking forward to it. MPI does a good job with a step by step installation guide. They make it simple. If I could install the kit I'm sure anyone could. Good Luck.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
x2. I just went down to mpi's shop today and picked up my kit. I need to tear into my sleds and have my subframe's beefed up. then im going to install my 10 front end on my 09 and install the new skinz front end on my 10. and finally install supercharger.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Your going to LOVE that new Skinz front end.
That with the Supercharger will give you More Power AND Better Handling.
Its a match made in heaven!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Do what every self respecting man would do and..............

picture.php

Yoor first step is to throw away this manual and go without it!!

Sounds like a great summer project for you......... Keep us updated

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
While I am sure there are some guys on this forum that could do it without th e book, I can't even imagine undertaking this project without the instruction manual!

Premium Features