• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Yamaha YZ450FX Super Hero Builds - CMX - Yeti - TS

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
The last, and most major thing for riders is custom wound front fork springs. These make such a difference in the way a bike handles jumps, tree wells, and the trail. With out proper weight springs you will find yourself diving into tree wells and pushing the front end through the snow and almost washing out the front end. Of coarse you will bottom out horrible on big jumps.

We have springs custom wound to a riders ability and weight, along with what kit they ride. I weigh 185lbs. and like .58 springs in the Yamaha's. With 340ml. of KYB 01M oil.

picture.php

Last edited:

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
On to the kits:

The TS is the baseline that we have all been ridding and will be the point this entire review will be compared to. We have installed and ridden TS units for years now and are happy with the product. We are trying to figure out if there is a better unit out there.

The 2016 CMX BK 120, $6295, also arrived in a crate with no instructions for the rear skid and a very well written installation manual for the Raptor front end. The phone support that CMX offers is top notch and you will need it to complete the install.

picture.php

picture.php

The TS comes in the crate as a 2016 ST 120 w/ TSS. $6300. The install manual is some color pages stapled together that does a good job of helping you install the kit. I assume that TS tech support is good if you have any questions. We did not need this support, because of the amount of units that we have installed at this point.

picture.php

The 2016 Yeti SMX 120 purchased with RSS, $8500, came perfectly packaged in a very heavy weight shipping quality card board box that is easy to transport. All parts are inventoried on the packing slip and the instruction manual is the best I have ever seen!!! The Install was easy, and the Youtube channel they provide you with walks you right through the install. I did not need to call for any technical support because it was all in the manual. This manual even comes with a full parts break dowin with pictures and part #'s. What a handy reference guide.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here is the manual for you to check out:

http://yetisnowmx.ca/assembly-manual/?rq=manual

picture.php

Last edited:
G
Mar 6, 2013
I run the FX as well I would say you don't need the intake just glue frogzkin over the opening and the tto digital read out doesn't work well it gets cold or wet it stops reading. Rest of build looks spot on. I need to add those cool heated grips.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
I run the FX as well I would say you don't need the intake just glue frogzkin over the opening and the tto digital read out doesn't work well it gets cold or wet it stops reading. Rest of build looks spot on. I need to add those cool heated grips.

If you have a TTO doing that, send it back to Trail Tech. I have sold 30 of them this season and had one not read when it was -10 out while the other 4 that day read fine. They took care of it.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
We'd happily make you a great deal on one of our last 2016 units that we've been holding on to for a special occasion. We think it would look great as Deadpool or Captain America. ;)

I would like to work with you guys. Give me a call and lets see what we can put together, but you cant have Captain America. That is reserved for my son's Snow Ripper. :face-icon-small-hap

G
Mar 6, 2013
If you have a TTO doing that, send it back to Trail Tech. I have sold 30 of them this season and had one not read when it was -10 out while the other 4 that day read fine. They took care of it.

will do, thanks. BTW even with that pod filter I think you would be ahead to glue frogzkin on the openings. otherwise they will plug up with sow and rob power. I can send pics if you need.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
We will now do the install of the front ends.

The CMX BK uses the Raptor dual ski front end. The instructions are top notch and easy to use. The installation is some what time consuming and tedious, but not difficult and the application of Blue Loctite is generous. I do like how there is adjust-ability and tuning built into the front fork mounts. You have the ability to turn the fork blocks 180deg. for a different ski angle and fine tuning. They also use plastic bushing between the lower fork tube and the spindle block to protect the lower fork leg. It is all finely machined and fits together perfectly.

picture.php

CMX does supply a modified version of the Raptor ski. It uses a twin scag design, verses a triple scag design from Raptor.

picture.php

picture.php

The weight of the Raptor front is is: 26.950

picture.php

The TS front end is simple and adjustable by drilling the spindle at the desired point of rake. I like the adjust-ability, but am turned off by the cave man approach of using a drill to do it. If you do not like the rake you installed you have to find a welder to fill the holes and try it again. They also use plastic bushing between the lower fork tube and the spindle block to protect the lower fork leg. The install is fairly fast, and there is some room for installer error due to the end user having to drill your own holes for the fork clamps in the spindle.

picture.php

picture.php

The TS front end weighs: 20.025

picture.php

The Yeti front end is like a gift from space that fell into the shop. The finely machined blocks and adapters are beautiful and the carbon fiber blades that make up the spindle are awesome. There is no adjustment in the front end. The install is minuets and so easy!! I installed the spindle to the forks out of the bike and then slipped the forks straight up into the triple clamps, just to see if there spacing was correct with no fork tube pinch. If there is a down side to this spindle, it is that they do not have plastic bushings protecting the lower fork tubes.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Yeti front end weighs: 19.275

picture.php

Last edited:

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
?

Were any of the kits available as just the track, so if a guy wanted a different spindle and ski setup?

CRAZY MOUNTAIN XTREME

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
I sell the CMX BK with what ever front end the customer would like. I recommend the Yeti front end.

We (CMX) would like to thank Toby for his unbiased reviews. Toby is our Colorado CMXBK Dealer and we are happy to have him on board.

The CMXBK will be sold with an X2 or YETI front end, or if you like, with no front end. We are working on final numbers on pricing for all scenarios right now. Keep an eye on our web site www.crazymtn.com for updated information.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Were any of the kits available as just the track, so if a guy wanted a different spindle and ski setup?

LOL , that's priceless , excellent question because as far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as " the ski "

Should be a topic on pros and cons between a ski that does and doesn't have a center heel .

Odds are most really don't know or have spent enough time on them to know .

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
As we all know the install of the 2016 TS ST will TSS is very straight forward. We will not spend much time here.

picture.php

The addition of TSS this year makes things a little different. I had a customer tell me that the motor to frame bushings were to wide and did not fit well. He was right. They are 5mm wider than the stock swing arm bushings and it took a lot of work to get the TS sub frame to go into place. The thin bushing on the outer right side even cracked on install. I did have a hard tail bushing set in the shop and measured it. Sure enough the TSS bushing set is 5mm wider than the hard tail set.

Once installed I found that the chain was right on the edge of adjustment and hitting the track. I ran it a day or two to let it stretch, and then changed the counter shaft gear to 14t. I like this higher gearing better and the chain tension is spot on.

This install is plug and play for the most part and is user friendly with the instructions.

FYI: The Yamaha brakes are so easy to bleed!!!!! what a dream compared to the KTM's I have fought with for hours.

picture.php

Premium Features