• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Yamaha YZ450FX Super Hero Builds - CMX - Yeti - TS

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
This is the quest here at Rocky Mountain Snow MX, to supply our customers with the best snow bike products out there.

We purchased three 2016 Yamaha YZ450FX's, and will build and test all three with CMX BK 120 ( Hulk ), Yeti MX 120 ( Ironman ), and TS 120 ( The Joker ).

picture.php

It all starts with the bike:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The 2016 Yamaha YZ450FX was selected due to the outstanding reliability of the Yamaha and the big power it makes. Last season i put 70 hours on a YZ450F and checked the tolerances at the end of the season. The leak-down was less than 3% and the valves were dead center in the specification. You could not ask for better results. The other deciding factors were the 60hp. output and electric start. There was some question of the wide ratio transmission rather than the close ratio I love so much. This proved to be a misconception due to the heavier flywheel in the FX. The bikes have no problem in any situation pulling hard from gear to gear. In my opinion this transmission in the FX could not be improved upon for snow biking. It was perfect on all kits. At this time we have logged over 30 hrs. on each bike and have not had to buy one part!!!! Gas and oil is all that has been required.

The electric start on the bikes it the best I have ever been around. They have started on the button at -20deg. all the way to 70deg.. I have never used the kick starter.

I am tracking weights on the units also. All weights are full of fuel, topped off.

picture.php

Now the full tear down starts:

picture.php

picture.php

There is not much of a bike left to start the build.

There are many things that go into the build of snow bikes. I will start with the accessories that I build every one of my bikes with.

Last edited:

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Here is a pic of most the accessories that we will work through.

picture.php

First we will install the ProMoto Billet Fit 1 hand guards with screw in bar ends. Along with the risers.

F140619714.jpg

The FIT Version 1 is for those who want the strongest and most adjustable hand guard/stabilizer mount package on the planet. Version 1 offers our unique sliding center stabilizer plate to cleanly mount your Fastway System 3 or System 5, Scotts, or GPR damper.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

A major component that should not be over looked is the Promoto Billet Adventure foot pegs. I have always rode with them and enjoyed the added width, but what I never realized is that they move the peg back and down compared to stock. The Yamaha YZ450FX has a kick stand on the left side of the bike, that has a mount that hits the track on the conversion system. You can either cut the $90 mount or buy the 2015 Yamaha YZ450F mount for $25 and install your peg on it. I was waiting on the mount and wanted to get a ride in, so I took two of the bikes out for a ride, and during the day I alternated between the stock peg bike and the Adventure peg bike. I could not believe how much more room I have for my Klim Adrenalin boot between the foot peg and the shiftier. I could not get fluid shifting down with the stock pegs. I will have these pegs on every bike I build. It was such a pain in the neck to ride the stock pegs. I called Steamboat Power Sports in Steamboat. Co. and asked it they had a YZ mount in stock. I drove down there and installed the Promoto Billet Adventure pegs that day.

picture.php

We chose this system because snow bikes always fall over in the parking lot and you have to adjust your hand guards before you take off. With this system you will never do that again.

We also need the ultimate in protection when blasting through the tight trees.

In this process we also install the AME heated grips.

I choose these because of their small size like a moto grip and the fact that you can run them with little power. The new single 6 way switch is also very nice.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Next in is an EarthX battery. With the extreme cold temps we need the best and lightest battery on the market. We use this battery in all of our bikes we build. It gives the extra cranking that we need for electric start only bikes and for the YZ450F. We have cranked the bikes at -20 with this battery and never had to use the jump box.

picture.php

EarthX ETX series of starter batteries are the most innovative and technology advanced batteries on the market! EarthX has an exclusive fully integrated battery management system (BMS) to protect the cells so you will have a premium performance battery and better longevity!

The ETX12A is a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4), starter battery with high cranking abilities.

Exclusive Features:

–Over discharge protection (#1 killer of all batteries and other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty)

–Over charge protection (Other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty)

–Built in cell balancing technology (Other brands must use a special balancing charger in order to level the charge of each cell. Your vehicle is what charges the battery most of the time, if you do not have built in cell balancing technology, how is your battery balanced while using it?)

– Short circuit protection up to 1,000 amps (Other brands void the warranty if you short the battery)

–Excessive cranking protection (Lithium technology is different than a lead acid battery and needs to be protected from heat)

–2 year full coverage warranty (Not a prorated warranty that offers you the replacement at a discounted rate if they don’t void the warranty)

–Unique and exclusive design (Custom design with the terminals down the center and most models come with solid brass terminal adapters for extremely easy installation. You can choose an OEM fit or a compact fit)

– Designed, engineered and assembled in the USA

Why choose an EarthX lithium battery? S P E E D

S= SPEEDY CHARGING- EarthX ETX batteries will charge 2-3X faster than a lead acid battery.

P= POWERFUL and LONG LASTING- EarthX ETX batteries crank your engine over easily and will improve your starting performance as their nominal voltage is 13.3V compared to a lead acid which is only 12.6V. Also EarthX ETX batteries life span is much longer than a lead acid battery and can last years longer!

E= EXTREMELY LIGHT WEIGHT- EarthX ETX batteries are up to 80 percent lighter than their lead acid equivalents. Lighter weight = better performance! This saves an average of 2-3 lbs. for dirt bikes, 6-8 lbs. for street bikes and 10-20 lbs. for touring and cruiser bikes.

E= ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY- EarthX ETX batteries are environmentally and user friendly. Nonhazardous, nontoxic, nonpoisonous. Will not sulfate, will not corrode, will not freeze, will not boil over, will never need water added and will not spill acid EVER!

D= DISCHARGE RATE- EarthX ETX batteries have a much slower discharge rate than a lead acid and the need to charge them is greatly reduced.

ETX6_12A-FRONT-BLUE1-90x90.jpg

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Next in is an EarthX battery. With the extreme cold temps we need the best and lightest battery on the market. We use this battery in all of our bikes we build. It gives the extra cranking that we need for electric start only bikes and for the YZ450F. We have cranked the bikes at -20 with this battery and never had to use the jump box.

picture.php

how many watts do those heated grips draw?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Thanks for this post many interesting issues. Interested in the bike and the different kits. Thanks

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Thanks for this post many interesting issues. Interested in the bike and the different kits. Thanks

Requires 45 watts of power per pair ( 22.5 watts each) and draws 3.5 amps per pair @13 volts in order to sustain the grips when initially turned on.
Made of a specially formulated Vulcathane™ material compound which produces tacky yet durable surface.
A'ME Waffle Pattern gives grip exceptional feel for comfort and control.
Features bluPulse™ 'Adaptive Thermal Regulation' Technology.
Feature Duxbutt™ weatherproof connectors.
Internal Sensor monitors battery power level and will automatically shut off the grips if battery power is too low.
Includes instructions and wiring harness that easily connects to 12 volt battery.

Heated_ProductPage_FullWaffleWithInstr.jpg

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Thanks for the detail on the grips Tillbuilt , sure beats the boxes the other guys use .

One thing we noticed is the reason why they offer individual controls is that they are so good that you will notice the difference from the left to right grip . The only thing I could think of is how the left and right fit on the bar ?

I've ran foam grips for quite some time to help take out the vibration . Been thinking about trying their softer street bike heated grips . It's not like my grips will be covered in mud .

Nice fleet you have there .

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Ok?

If a guy wanted to street legal the FX for summer, and also run the handwarmers, is there a higher output stator available? Does the WR stator work in the FX?

Thanks
Winger

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
It's 160 watt instead of the 90 on the yz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Today we take care of the intake. The YZ breathes fresh air from the front air horns. These will funnel powder straight in to the filter and clog easy on a deep day.

We are using a pod filter design built here at Rocky Mountain Snow MX. It sets under the factory plastic and generates no more noise than the factory intake. The install begins with the removal of the stock lower intake rubber boot. Then the pod filter is fitted straight to the throttle body. Once the clamp is tight it has clearance from all frame rails and factory plastics so it does not wear holes in the prefilter. Zip tie the crank case breather hose to the bottom of the intake housing so it has a downward slope. You do not want it to have a low point. If you have a low point it will accumulate condensation here and freeze over night, blowing out gaskets first thing the next morning. You then fill the intake horns in the factory plastics with foam and you are done.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Since we are building the ultimate snow bikes I like to run dual protection for our radiators. We are using the combination of the Yamaha GTYR braces in the rear of the radiators and the Bullet Proof front guards.

picture.php

picture.php

The GTYR rears help reduce the crush of the units, and the Bullet Proof fronts keep the trees out and help melt away the ice chunks. We also cover the Bullet Proof guards with Outerwears Pre Filter to ward off any ice build.

We do not sell the GTYR braces. You will need to source them from your local Yamaha shop, but we do sell the Bullet Proof guards and the Outerwears.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Ok

Really kicking around this blue bike, and really like how you set em up, what's the total cost of all your accessories?

Also,
from what I hear, is the uncorked, remapped WR basically an FX with lights????

Last edited:

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Really kicking around this blue bike, and really like how you set em up, what's the total cost of all your accessories?

Also,
from what I hear, is the uncorked, remapped WR basically an FX with lights????

You can get all of the accessories for about $1800.00. Give us a call and I can step through your build with you, and get you everything you need to make this bike preform and function to the best of its ability.

I would recommend buying the FX and putting a head light on it. I can sell you a Cyclopes light that is brighter and uses less power than the stock WR.

If you buy the WR you will need to purchase the GYTR race ECM, and exhaust just to be comparable in performance. A head light is much less money.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
We now move on to the installation of a Thermobob 3. We sell these for many reasons.

picture.php

If you do not get your 4 stroke engine up to at least 170deg. on a regular basis, you will have massive amounts of condensation build up in the oil and this will result in milky oil and possibly engine failure. The Thermobob will bypass the radiators and circulate coolant from the head directly back to the water pump allowing the engine the ability to heat up, with out the cooling of the radiators. Once the engine reaches 170deg. it will start to open up allowing coolant over 170deg. to go to the radiators and cool off. You can leave the Thermobob installed for summer riding. It also gives us a port to install our temperature gauge sensor in. We sell the TTO gauges because they have their own battery supply and do not need power from the bike. I love the easy install.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Premium Features