• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Reverse Bolt Breakage Issue Update

N
Jan 11, 2008
Cherhill AB
Spoke to my dealer as well, and no idea of this bolt being an issue. Seems that only individuals tearing on their sleds for @#tz and giggles are finding these broken, and the dealers not having warranty claims won't. They are going to pull in there demo's tomorrow and check them out. No one has any stock, Racinstation, what is the thread size for this bolt called in metric, I'm old school standard, looks like I will have to get a bolt from the supply store for this weekends trip.:cool:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Should be a 10mm X 1.25 pitch. I have plenty in stock if you need one. Not trying to cause trouble, just trying to make a great product better!:)

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
none of my bolts where like that, i just changed my track on a nytro rtx and all my bolts seemed find not to long pulled her off a couple times, for racing so i can remember where everything goes lol but mines all good and i bought mine in oct of 07 now she has over a 1000kms on her, is it just the MTX models your talking about?

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
bolt

had mine apart yersterday to gear it back up and everything is ok, mine is a late model mtx just bought it a month ago, anyway i cant see how you could not have this bolt in there, the spring loaded collar would rub the cover would it not? thanks

M
Jan 14, 2004
WTF that has to be the same bolt they've been using on their reverse setups for years is'nt it? They must be over torqued or something cause those bolts are at least grade 8. I haven't had my Nytro apart is it a new design compared to the older sleds?

M5

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
The nytro bolt is 40mm long.....apex bolt is a way shorter. The bolts are diff color so they are a different grade from what it looks like to me. Something must flex abit causing the bolt to flex breaking it in the middle.

About the flexing, could it be the difference in elasticity between the aluminum caste frame and the magnesium cover?

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
well this is the first I have ever seen where the bottom gear has a brg on both sides of it....should be tough as nails but if the bolt is broken your outside brg really isnt doing anything. THe bolt basically extends the length of the driveshaft. THe driveshaft must be flexing causing the bolt to flex which breaks it. All I can figure....I got a 10.9 grade bolt in mine....we'll see if it holds up.

N
Jan 11, 2008
Cherhill AB
The outer bearing in the cover holds the reverse collar in against the drive shaft. Biggest issue I would see is the possible force against the magnesium cover if it had major torque in reverse or it wasn't engaged right. I replaced my bolt tonight with one 5mm shorter out of the bolt bin, and torqued it to 30ft/lbs. My dealer is looking into it on the next machines they get in.

T
Jan 3, 2008
Just did a track swap and smail performace called me and told me I had a broken bolt he is going to put a grade 8 instead of the grade 10.I will tell him about shaving off 2 threads...

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Not sure if it affected the RMK's but this same thing has happened to alot of Polaris XC and Pro-X sleds. Most are drilling the driveshaft out and tapping it to a 3/8" bolt. They are 5/16" stock. Doesn't help to find the solution but might be something to try.

05summitxxx

Doing a track swap on my 08 Nytro MTX. Bolt is broken also. Dealer has never head of it either. They are going to pull their demos apart tommorow.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
thanks, RacinStation, as always you guys are on the edge on stuff...wonder if it is the engagement that is causing the break....I have noticed that my 40th will slip out of reverse pretty easily...that shock cannot be good on things....

will check it when I swap my track...any tricks to swapping these out?

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
yep

I have noticed that my 40th will slip out of reverse pretty easily...that shock cannot be good on things....

I've had that happen so many times now, so when I get around to swapping out the track for the Power Claw, I'm sure to be looking at this bolt.

Seems that there is some kind of interference with the reverse linkage on the Nytro that lets it drive in reverse, only partially engaged, then POP, it pops out of reverse...

Thanks for the heads up though.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Seems that there is some kind of interference with the reverse linkage on the Nytro that lets it drive in reverse, only partially engaged, then POP, it pops out of reverse...

When you kick the running board clear on that side, and kick into the foot hold, the aluminum plate bends and causes clearance issues with the linkage. If you take the side panel off, you can see it hitting.

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
So is the new yamaha bolt holding up? My dealer just ordred me one of the updated bolts, but I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until next week to put it together, or just get a bolt while I'm in Pocatello tomorrow and put it together tomorrow night.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We have not experienced any "re-breakage". The new bolt seems to be holding up. Why? I don't know.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
So, is there a tech bulletin out on this? or is it just wait till carnage?

Premium Features