• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best lock to use for enclosed trailer puck or other?

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
Hi All, just wondering what you you all use to lock the ramp doors on your enclosed trailer. I bought cheap puck locks and they freeze up badly and also are rusting like crazy too.

I stopped using them before the season was over because I was paranoid that I was going to get locked out of my trailer.

What do you all use that works?

Thanks!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Regular master lock and full coverage INS.
Use a dry graphite lubricant once a year. Don't tow trailer with locks on unless the roads are dry.
I put the warm dry locks on at the snopark.

GS6

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I have been using the master lock 6121 for the last 5 years and have never had them freeze. I have them on the trailer all the time

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Bolt Locks

I like these:

http://www.boltlock.com/vehicle-match/

They get keyed to work with your truck key. Then you just have to carry one set of key and never have to worry about not having your key with you. Obviously if you tow with different vehicles, it could be an issue. Once you key it, it is forever on that key.

Do you have experience with the different styles? I was thinking of the padlocks for the door/ramps on the enclosed trailer and they also have pin locks for the hitch?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I don't have much. I bought a set for my parents, they use the pin lock and a regular lock. I'd imagine they all work the same.

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
Anyone else? I really like the idea of the puck style luck just need one that is enclosed or have some kind of cover to keep it out of the weather.

J
Jun 13, 2018
Anyone else? I really like the idea of the puck style luck just need one that is enclosed or have some kind of cover to keep it out of the weather.

Maybe it's too late.I'd say it depends on the cable. We used to lock our old I/O up with something akin to a high end bike cable through the wheels. Forgot it once and drove away. Ripped that cable apart without much fuss.I have used a coupler lock on my old MC trailer. It was not that style, but rather, an ordinary U in the locking pin. Doesn't work on my new trailer, for which I need one like what is posted above. Now, I continue to use DT Coupler (Diversi-Tech) locks https://secretstorages.com/best-locks-for-storage-units/ on all of my trailers - dump, skidsteer, utility, enclosed and boat trailers without fail. Had a buddy want to use one of my trailers while I was out of town and told him if he could get the lock off he could use it. So being a rancher, he took a grinder, sledge and various other methods to the lock and it didn't give. So far so good, average price around $45.00. By the way my mastercraft trailer has the UFP style coupler as well and it works great on there.
And here's another solution, as an alternative :face-icon-small-ton
attachment.php

Hope it helps.Good Luck

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
In the age where you have a video phone/supercomputer in your pocket.....doesn't it seems more than slightly insane that the enclosed manufacturers haven't yet figured out an interior lock? So you can lock the ramp doors and exit via the man door? Or any system a little more slick than carrying padlocks around to lock up your brand new trailer?

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I have been using these for 5 or 6 years and only froze the front set up once. The rear has never froze on me before.
200722085b993682d50ebde54bfadc1d.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

C
May 4, 2018
this is a silly question, but what exactly happens when a puck lock freezes? Is it that hard to dislodge? We have a 4x4 van that already has puck lock mounts installed, and I'm wondering how bad it would be if I was forced to choose one of these puck locks? I can always find a different solution, this just seems easiest. But I'd hate to be locked out of the van..

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've used the the sealed Master Locks without issue for a while. Honestly, I think it comes down to only putting the locks on when you are parked leaving the trailer for an extended period of time. Putting locks on and then running down the road in the snow, sleet, salt and grime, just leads to locks getting messed up, jammed up and froze up. I guess I don't see the point of having the trailer locked while driving down the road ???

I really don't foresee the group from "The Fast and Furious" pulling some daring sled theft while I'm rolling down the interstate..................LOL

Once I we get to our destination and the trailer gets parked, then the locks come out and its secured. Another time would be once we get to the parking lot in the morning, unload, get ready and lock up for the day.

Another reason I'm not big on having the trailer locked up while in transit is what if there are problems and you need to get stuff out of the trailer in a hurry. Case in point ......a fire, which almost happened to us two years ago!!
We had some trailer light issues, stopped in Billings, opened the side door to find the trailer full of smoke!!! A wire had shorted out with the power inverter and almost burned the trailer, 4 sleds and a ton gear. We were almost to the point of running sleds out and I for sure did not want to be messing with unlocking doors, especially if they would have been froze up!!! NOT GOOD!

So getting back, get some quality padlocks and just lock the trailer up when you need to.

J
Sep 3, 2021
USA
I also have a Master Lock, it works great. I was more than pleased with its pick resistance, as well. It managed to stop all my picking attempts without breaking a sweat. I even called my friend who’s a locksmith to give it a try, and he didn’t have any luck, either.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Good advice for all on why not to lock your trailer when in transit. Besides, nothing worse for a lock than rolling down winter roads. Likewise, never lock your trailer to your tow vehicle while towing - entirely for safety reasons if an emergency unhook is required in an accident, crash, stuck, fire, etc. Use a simple removable pin, lock it when you park. FWIW.

Premium Features