• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long bed deck on a 6.5 ft bed

R
Jul 15, 2018
Hey there,

I've recently looked around and haven't really found anything related to my questions. If there is, I do apologize.

I recently sold my long bed truck and thought that I could try and fit my deck into a 6.5ft bed. It does fit, but I have to have my tailgate down because of the legs. Would it make sense to cut a section of the legs out and re-weld them so I could close my tailgate?

My only concern doing that, is that there would be about 4 feet from the legs to the back of the deck. Would that be dangerous when loading the sled? Any opinions on what to do or to scrap it and get an appropriate size deck is appreciated, Thanks

IMG-4029.jpg IMG-4030.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Move the legs forward.
Make sure the front is bolted down secure and u should be fine.
Now with 4ft hanging out back, depending on local codes, u may need orange or red flags tied to the back or clearance lights to be legal.

R
Jul 15, 2018
Move the legs forward.
Make sure the front is bolted down secure and u should be fine.
Now with 4ft hanging out back, depending on local codes, u may need orange or red flags tied to the back or clearance lights to be legal.

alright sweet. I am glad that's what I can do instead of buying a whole new deck. thank you for your input.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Yeah, I'd move it. The tailgate section isn't strong enough. Plus, there is a "vortex" like effect when driving down the road with the tailgate down. you would have snow/ice consuming the back.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I honestly didn't know there was an 8ft deck out there that wasn't built for the framework to fit in a short bed. My Silverlake is a full 8 ft + beavertail, but the frame is made for a short bed so it works great in my new truck. I'd agree, if you like the deck, just get the legs moved far enough forward to sit in front of the tailgate and strap the thing down!

20171224_153407.jpg

Premium Features