• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 T Dies when I squeeze throttle

P

PIKER

Dec 4, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
I have an 09 M8 with a Twisted RG kit, VP 111, (38 psi fuel pressure the first day and 40 psi the second) and while riding in Revelstoke last weekend I had a lot of trouble getting my sled to run. My attitude box is set to run Shane's posted #'s (we played with it slightly). Sled ran really well until I shut it down. I disconnected the temp switch, and it would start sometimes. Reconnect the temp switch and it would start. When I would squeeze the throttle it would die.

That night I installed a temp switch. The switch helped but did not work all of the time as it would still bog and die.

I am not sure how accurate the A/F is but I knew that it was going to bog and die because the A/F would not read at all.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Piker

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Sounds like the throttle safety switch....a little snow under the flipper will activate this, or it's defective or not the correct slack in the throttle cable.....assuming they are still using the same setup they used when I had Cat. :beer;

P

PIKER

Dec 4, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
Negative on the lefty and there is only a little play in the throttle cable? not really sure how to check the throttle positioning. No snow on under the flipper.

Last edited:
A
Nov 27, 2007
Salmon Arm
What I've learned about the Attitude/lodgic box is that some are set up differently. For example it may only have 5 or 10 percent of the total setting on any given one of the top, mid and idle adjustments. For example my attatude box may have 10 percent fuel setting on my top end and yours may have 50 percent settings. So your twisted settings are possibly different to another companies settings. So if you only have for example 5% of total setting on your mid range fuel, you may have to go three or four numbers higher to make a very small difference. I had my box reprogramed from PL and when it is programed on the computer I could choose how much of a adjustment percentage I want on each setting. This is done obviously for fine tuning and so you don't blow up a engine by changing a couple #'s
Anyways, I had mine running awesome at full boost, but boondocking on and off throttle it cut out and would die. Had to pour gas in to restart a few times, so finally adjusted my idle and mid range up. So don't be afraid to adjust your settings more, as long as your AF is within reason. This is my first turbo cat so I'm still learning as I go.
I am running 12 lbs. 42lb.s fuel pressure, 12.to 12.5 AF at full boost. 14 to 15 AF, at mid range.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Salmon Arm
Another thing I found with mine is if I shut it down right after a high rpm pull, it won't start. I have to let it idle for 30 sec or so. Then it's fine for starting every time. The same goes for start up. Could maybe have somthing to do with the cooling censer.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I had a similar problem, I replaced and checked just about every sensor and it didn't help. I finally decided to try a new stator and it solved all my problems and made the sled run noticeably better at low RPM.

M
Nov 9, 2008
Butte, Montana
I also have a 2009 Twisted R/G M8. When mine is cold, it will idle than die a couple times. Then it will idle, but lower than usaul and when you touch the throttle it will die, so, what I have found.....when it does idle but not at full idle, just hit the kill switch until it dies, then flip it back, and one pull and you're ready to go. Also, when you are riding and come to a stop, let it idle for 20-30 seconds before you shut it off.

P

PIKER

Dec 4, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
I also have a 2009 Twisted R/G M8. When mine is cold, it will idle than die a couple times. Then it will idle, but lower than usaul and when you touch the throttle it will die, so, what I have found.....when it does idle but not at full idle, just hit the kill switch until it dies, then flip it back, and one pull and you're ready to go. Also, when you are riding and come to a stop, let it idle for 20-30 seconds before you shut it off.

I will give this a try, I dont think i have been giving it enough time to cool down.
Thanks.

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
I am not well versed on the 09 set up , i have an 07 . When my 8 is cold it does the same , you can really tell when the relay switches power sources for the pump.

Check your relay for moisture in the plug .

J
Nov 27, 2007

This usually means (for me and my sled) that the reeds are getting tired and are close to letting go. If you put new pedals in it will act like it is supposed to....till they get tired also. JayO

Premium Features