• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Strange Coolant Issue

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
This was the 1st season I didn't summerize my sled and I did the old start the sled once a month thing. I WAS going to pull the motor and go over it and clean the sled but I just ran out of time this summer.
When I went to get her up and running for the season I noticed I had lost some coolant in the bottle. I filled it up and when I went to pull it over I could watch the coolant level go down with every pull???? I could hear the bottle pressurizing because it was hissing so I would turn the cap and the fluid would pop back up.
I ran the sled and thought I got the coolant level to stabalize, I even got the front end up and blead it just incase it was an air bubble....not sure how an air bubble could get in the system just sitting there all summer???

Went for a ride and I could not keep coolant in it. It SEEMED like it was all coming out the overflow but I would not bet on that. Check all hose clamps to make sure one didn't come loose. Still had the same pressurizing issue and would have an empty bottle until I turned the cap and the coolant level would come up a little. I dumped A LOT of water in to get me back and seemd like I was loosing it faster then I could put it in but there was no obvious leakage anywhere.
If I had a hole somewhere would it be able to pressurize like that?
It seems like air lock but I just don't understand how it happened from just sitting in the garage.

Thanks for any help

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Sounds to me like maybe a o-ring in the head (head gasket), if every time you pull the rope and the system starts to pressurize then I would think that cylinder pressure is being pushed in. Do you see any black oily residue in the antifreeze, that is another indication of leaking o-rings.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
The motor has been rebuilt recently...two seasons ago.
It ran just fine on the last ride. It must have happened when I started it up last just to get things circulating but it was only for a min. or 2

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
He did ask a really good question though...look inside your antifreeze bottle. Is there a grey/black color in there or is is clear and green?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
It is clear and green.
Just tore about half the seld, took off the seat to get to the hoses running to the rear exhanger...no coolant in the hoses, took off the hose that goes into the head...no coolant. Lifted the front up reattached everything good and tight filled with coolant and in seconds came exploding out the bottle.
Took head off....no coolant. ONLY thing I can thing of is the water pump went out and therefore the engine is pumping air through the system and this is why I'm having the pressurizing issue.
What typically happens when a water pump goes out?

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
coolant

A bad water pump would not pressurize the system, I agree with guy who suggested leaky o ring head gaskets. The cylinder compression blows into the cooling system and blows the coolant out the overflow on your bottle. I have seen it plenty of times. I guess a bad water pump could let your engine overheat enough to cook the o rings though so you should check both.

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
No doubt it is a leaky head gasket, do not run the sled any more!! You will cause some serious damage without coolant in the head. It is a cheap fix as long as you didn't overheat or warp anything. Change the o-rings and the gasket then fill her back up and run it, and make sure the water pump is actually circulating coolant

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I pulled the head off and the o-rings seem ok and so does the outter rubber gasket?
Is it not obvious or something?
It would be nice if it wasn't the water pump since I would probably have to pull the motor to change the impeller.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Coolant

If you are talking Polaris big block. Take the oil pump off and pull the motor over by hand, if the oil pump drive moves then the belt is OK. They will overheat almost immediately if the belt is broken. They will also blow coolant out of the tank because it is boiling while the coolers remain cold. Next check the thermostat, seen them fail pretty often. Drop it in a pan of hot water. Last year I got a bad one right from the dealer.

If belt and thermostat is OK then you will need to look at the WP impeller. They are known for the nut that hold them on coming loose and not circulating water very well if at all. Did a 03 Saturday. You can do it without pulling the motor. Remove the 2 clamp blocks on the motor that hold the water manifold on under the Y pipe. These are held by 2 Allen screws. WP cover is held on by 5 10mm bolts.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
This is on a 800 Doo motor, thermostate deleted.
My thought was the impellar went out but I guess for it to pressurize like that it has to be some kind of leak in the motor, either o-ring or base gasket. If not either one of those then a crack in the lower case. I HOPE IT'S AN O-RING!!!!!

Premium Features