• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Member Comments on "Letter to All Members"

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
But, I promise you I will pay my money because I like SnoWest, but I will be mad if all the upgrades continue to be just useless fluff like the ones that have already been done!
FAIR ENOUGH.

Stick around for the next 30-45 days while we get things running and then report back to me with what you think of what we have done during that's month's time.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
well the whinners are jumping ship, that is good news!!! have to see how this plays out!
We should know by New Years how this is going to work, one way or the other.

Obviously, on this end, we think its going to work out just fine, and we are putting our money where our mouth is.

Talk is cheap, and actions speak louder than words.
We are making a huge investment in the forums going forward.

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
I come here to find vendors and new equipment!!just this summer alone I can think of over 2000$ I spent with the various vendors from this site--IM NOT GOING TO PAY YOU TO BUY STUFF FROM A VENDOR..sorry say what you want I will now go to a site that I can read reviews and other sledders purchases FOR FREE..I spend enuff money in the winter on lodges,gas,oil,cloths and whatever else comes with sledding and this is one bill I will not add.this makes me so sad!!

to any vendors who like to continue getting my hard earned money you will find me over here..http://www.backcountryrebels.com/

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So,

Let me get this straight.

Christopher talks himself into a job with Harris to manage a site that worked fine.

Christopher changes all sorts of stuff on the site, making it pitifully slow.

Now that the site is pitifully slow, he basically forces Harris to pony up for servers.

Now that the money is spent on servers, we hear talk about this becoming a pay site.

Am I missing a step here?

it is UNREAL how one misguided person can screw up a good thing.

Let's get a round of applause for Christopher, well done.

Anyone that is stupid enough to pay for a forum (where anything worth reading comes from the other members), good luck getting info from the guys out there that don't need to waste their money on that type of thing, all you'll get is canned advertisements from the few that think it's worth it to advertise on a site that drove away the majority of its users.

So when the guy that actually NEEDS help, who would have hopped on here once or twice to figure something out (the people that this site actually should be intended for) they have to pony up cash to ask a question...

It's pitiful that the people that took a good thing & screwed it up think that they should now get paid for the screwed up version.

BTW, you say that you made an investment, this is FALSE. You spent our money to fix something that wasn't broken then turned around and handed US the bill.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
People here spend thousands and thousands on trucks/ sleds/ trailers/ mods/. What does $10's for great info and a great group of people matter.:beer;
Its a BIG DEAL, and we knew it would be.
People are not accustomed to paying for anything on the internet, and so when asked they are often offended right off the bat, regardless of the justification.

Oftentimes after some thought about it, they will change their mind and come back around.

The fees we are asking are purposely small, and should cover all the costs of our operation without throwing off any real profit. The goal is to get us to at least a break even point for the first time in the history of the forums.

Should we be wildly successful and have 10,000 members join and have some significant profit left over, you can count on there being more investment back into the forums, more support for the cause, and more member activities scheduled.

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
in all the fixing and updates i think you should keep the swapmeet the same the new one is terrible if thats anything to say about all the new bells and whistles it's not going to be good:(

i have meet alot of friends here had a bunch of laughs even setting up advertising i just hope you guys listen to us on some of the complaints or the ideas of the group

billy

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for your honesty, I will take a wait and see approach until the numbers are released, but I do hope you see the fact that people are going to have a problem with the fee, not because its $10, but because snowest is taking $10 to pass along information provided from others who do it for free. I have no problem with this to pay off equipment, or even a slight profit mind you, but if this was to turn into a considerable source of income, I would hope Harris Publishing would use that income to better the sport for all of us, and not line their pockets, because like you said, we are all responsible for making this forum great, without the members, the forums would be nothing.

THANK YOU.
I hope that begining next year you will see NEW CONTENT on the forums start showing up that has never been here before.

And, there are no projections that we have made that suggest this will ever be a "considerable" source of income relative to the rest of the corporation. Should we be so lucky and fortunate, you can count on us re-investing right back into the community.

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
also i think a vendor of anything should not be a mod kind of looks bad for other vendors

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I for one will take a wait and see approach.
I am currently getting the mag.
Why pay to get the mag that I can get online if I join the forums?
If the paper version was converted to the online at no additional cost to me, I would be willing to give it a try.
If The time I have left getting the paper version is going to be ontop of theonline version.

I don't see the benifit.
Sorry, this place was fun.
It got to be the way it is because people created friendships.
We could hang out and argue and complain and bicker like little kids and it was fine.
It just seems that the fun is gone and I don't know if going to a pay site is going to do anything.

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
I'll be on board with the 3 year subscription. Some of the new stuff sounds pretty interesting. BTW, change isn't always all bad. If there wasn't any change on the internet(s), we would still be posting from a dial up connection and using AOL and angelfire.

M

minecat

Nov 27, 2007
Winnemucca, Nevada
My take on this is I will try any thing once, That beeing said I see some peoples point of paying for information that SW did not come up with but I also see that if it was not for this site how would all of these people know where to find that info or who to contact to get it from them. I know that time is money, and the amount of time it would have taken me to find certain things that i needed or wanted to know with out beeing able to go to one site and get the awnswer would of most surely cost more than 10 bucks. For the people that think it is wrong to pay for free info you are right, but I think you need to look at it in a different perspective, think of this site as a dictionary or encyclopedia the publisher didnt come up with the content they just provided a place for it to be accessed in one book with out needing a million different books to get what you need, so try not to think that you are paying for the free info but rather a book of knowledge that somebody has put together for the benefit of our sport.
On a side note i to would like to know the % of the fee that will be donated

Later

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
The party hasn't even begun yet.
Stick around for a while and wait till you see whats coming.

yea every body knows the after parties are always the best. I hear Christopher is working on a new Snowest theme song to get the festivities rolling. :eek:

wtf_pics-musical-monstrosit.jpg

;)

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
gotta say I'm willing to ride it out. I've gotten enough out of this site to stay....hope those who've given to me stay too...if not well I got other ways to talk with them.

guess I should go butter up the wife for 30 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features