• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xr650 as a snowbike

F

funjunkie

Nov 26, 2007
Yes there are some guys out there running them. Far as I no they like them. I think there are some old post on here from last year on them . Do a search.

I
Dec 5, 2007
Bump for more info?. I just bought a LT kit for my xr650r and was hoping to get some more feedback. I know there were a few around.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
xr snow go'n

xr 650 289 lbs dry.............only a couple of pounds more than the rest of the 4 stroke porkers being turned into sno bikes. One huge failure of advancing bike technology, heavy old sagging old age over weight new models. WOW

When MX came to the USA 47 years ago I staggered around an all terrain track on an over weight matchless, then a much lighter BSA VIctor. Back then it was conforting to think that by the time I was really old at least we would have featherlight bikes and real suspension. Boy was that a naive dream.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
My 570 weighs 256 (according to the book). I think that's significantly lighter than a 650( and heavier than a 450mx bike)

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
That is 30 pounds more for the XR and a motor that will just keep going.

Most 450 MX bikes are in the 240 pound range

My 2012 WR450 265 pounds BUT the Yamaha motors are as tough as it gets.

By now I have heard of a few 570s that have eaten the rings.

With more Bikes on the snow we will see more blown engines and eventually

we will be able to see what motors are the ones that stay together the best.

X
Oct 6, 2010
I Luv My XR650RMH S/N 00017

After 3 Years on the XR650RMH I still haven't regretted the decision of starting with that bike. This past week I was wishing my 525XC was a Bullet proof XR650R. The KTM with the new T/S Ski is a blast to ride but a lot more finicky than the Honda. I have ignition issues with the KTM. After the few short rides it got parked for the week. The fun factor per $ spent is very good with the XR650R. We also rode it 20+ miles away from the cabin. I haven't left the borrow pit of US-20 with the KTM.

XR650Ryder
:face-icon-small-coo

?? or support group

801-598-8947 Cell

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
xr 650 289 lbs dry.............only a couple of pounds more than the rest of the 4 stroke porkers being turned into sno bikes. One huge failure of advancing bike technology, heavy old sagging old age over weight new models. WOW

When MX came to the USA 47 years ago I staggered around an all terrain track on an over weight matchless, then a much lighter BSA VIctor. Back then it was conforting to think that by the time I was really old at least we would have featherlight bikes and real suspension. Boy was that a naive dream.

I think you are off a little on the xr 650 weight I had an 07' and it was a pig compared to my 530 and 500 KTM. XR650 curb weight is 346 pounds my 500EXC KTM is 250. And you will feel it when you are picking it up out of the snow.
( Just Saying ) :jaw:

I
Dec 5, 2007
You must be thinking of the L, Honda claims dry weight at 277. Real world is ~ 300-305 with fuel. Just as the Husaberg 570 is close to 280 real world. Not sure on the 500, are you taking the weight off of KTMs specs? I would bet it is atleast 270 ready to go.

On top of that the xr650r has some heavy parts like exhaust and forks that are relatively cheap to replace. The rest is there for durability.

And the xr650r can get pretty close to 60 rwhp and 50 lbft of torque without a ton of cash into it.

Not saying I wouldn't love a new KTM or Husaberg, just don't think it will be the dog that some think. Either way, I am into it for just over 20% of what a new KTM would cost.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
A old Xr will make 65 HP with nothing but a slip on and jetting kit and run long past the expire date of any 2 smoke or 450 and like he said a few lightweight bits like exhaust will get it close to todays bike weights with way better power and reliability.:face-icon-small-win What is not to like -- Not the latest hype but if you have the track record of the old XR 650 Who cares It ruled Baja for how long???? remember it kicked KX but and now all of a sudden we think the KX is the Way to go -- Hallo:yo:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
always misleading to post up dry weight numbers because those are the numbers the brochure printers love.

Nothing more embarassing than owning an acurate scale and weighing bikes. Don't want to dis on anybodies favorite toy. The xr works as sno bike without the shorter life valve train of some of the new model mx bikes.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Well I have had both bikes and they are far from each other in weight and I tried trimming the fat as much as possible on the xr and t is still a pig. Not that I don't like the bike it is just to heavy for the single track and a snow bike I feel. But if you are trying to pinch Penny's well that is another story, then one has to do what one has to but that was not part of the original post. 40-50 pounds is still allot and I don't care what scale tells you that.
:der: :der: :der:

I
Dec 5, 2007
I put my kit together this weekend and had a few issues. When I use the recommended 13 tooth sprocket the chain hits the bottom of the timbersled frame. If I tighten the chain enough not to hit, it is way too tight and my bike clunks when I put it in gear. What sprocket were you guys using?

I followed the directions on drilling the front spindle but there was no way to get the ski bolt 1" behind the axle bolt as recommended. Instead, my ski bolt is 1" ahead of the axle bolt. Did you guys have the same problem?

I bought my kit used, but the chain that came with it was two links too short to fit. How many links on the chain are you using?

Thanks

I
Dec 5, 2007
I have the spindle extensions pretty much flush with the back of the spindle. The fork clamps are flush with the back of the spindle extensions. I don't see anyway the ski could be back any farther at the fork to spindle point.

X
Oct 6, 2010
I made new brackets to get the 2" Trailing last WeeK

I cast off the old Brackets and made new ones last week to do the spindle mod for the 2" trailing. Make sure the block is in backwards from 2011 the pivot hole is offset. I ended up with about 2 1/4" since I rotate-ted the block after I drilled. For the 2011 spindle the brackets need to be at least 5" wide and 3.75 tall. I'll Make new ones after I try these out. FYI, The 2012 spindles are wider.

My chain ran fine with the 13/17. The stock 13/17 is to low geared. Your strut bar my be a different length. I had to measure mine for timbersled the length was different than the 2 lengths they were asking about. When I rebuilt this year I went with 14/16 gearing. Much Much Better Ratio, 1st isn't to low and top speed is much better.

I also drilled one of my grease-able bearing in a different location so I could get the grease gun on it. My 2013 I can only get the grease gun on 3 of the 4 Bearings.

I still have given up on the Stock are box. The in take is the Akillies heel to these machines.

Here is my # again if I can be of help.

801-598-8947:face-icon-small-coo

M

mattwiles

Feb 24, 2009
columbia falls montana
i would think that the xr650r would work great, because it has so much more low end tq than any other dirt bikes and way more durable. the guys running their mx bikes are lighter yes but by only 50lbs or so and will be rebuilding their bikes regularly. I was wanting one for my xr 650r and am very curious, let me know how it works out for you.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
What snow bike conversion kits are available for an XR650R?

I have a 2000 model and I thought Timbersled offered a kit but don't see one on their site.

Premium Features