• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best skis for the Axys ??????

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
i have mohawks sitting in the garage. should i run them in the front hole or the rear on the axys?

I don’t remember which hole I ran on the Pro-Ride pro; the front I think

L
Nov 8, 2015
I have had a chance to ride a few skis this last year myself I have slp powder pros and love the way they grip on a side hill better than grippers. My brother has a set of c&a bx on his sks nice skis but like everyone else said heavy and super hard to turn imo. And lastly my friend rides his stock grippers which is a good ski but I personally like the ppro the best.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Finally got my Mohawks on, rode them today in 2' of fresh snow that was a little on the heavier side. Comparison to the stock Grippers.

On groomer: Much better control (less understeer) without any additional steering effort.

Off Trail: Required less "windshield-wipering" of the skis to stay on line. The sled went where I wanted it with less input. No problems getting 'Polaris-skied' (When your ski goes vertical mid turn and the sled stops going).

I like them.

J
Jan 28, 2008
alpine, ut
Has anyone else had durability issues with the Mohawks? I've completely destroyed two skis already this year with normal riding. The tips seem to bend way up that it leaves a gap between the wearbars and ski bottom. Bent them back but then they just don't hold up.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Finally got my Mohawks on, rode them today in 2' of fresh snow that was a little on the heavier side. Comparison to the stock Grippers.

On groomer: Much better control (less understeer) without any additional steering effort.

Off Trail: Required less "windshield-wipering" of the skis to stay on line. The sled went where I wanted it with less input. No problems getting 'Polaris-skied' (When your ski goes vertical mid turn and the sled stops going).

I like them.

Agreed!

I have been on 3 rides with the Mohawks, and absolutely LOVE them. They have the "Carls cut" on them and that is a good improvement. These skis carve smoothly in the deep dry powder and the heavy wet snow as well. No more soft rubber bumpers to wear out either (like the grippers). The grippers - with the poor excuse for rubbers on them - feel like they put on the brakes when carving hard. Very Happy!

P
Jun 29, 2008
Freeborn, MN
Anyone have any further feedback on the BDX skis from C&A? I'm heading out next week and after talking to a few people, I've been advised to bring my stock Grippers with because after a day of riding the C&As I'll want to switch them back due to how hard they steer. Thanks!

Chad

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Anyone have any further feedback on the BDX skis from C&A? I'm heading out next week and after talking to a few people, I've been advised to bring my stock Grippers with because after a day of riding the C&As I'll want to switch them back due to how hard they steer. Thanks!

Chad

Good advice.
I've heard the same

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I run Carl's cut powder pro's on mine turned better in deep snow don't dart on the trail.

Ive ran Powder Pro's for years on the old IQs, Edge and Pro's Ive really liked them and have done the Carl's cut on some. P.P are good skis, they used to be great, now I must admit that "I" think the stock grippers are the best "stock" ski out there and Im running them still on my Axys from the trails (short distance) to get to the hills (not as heavy steering) and having great results side hilling with them. Id like to hear more on the Mohawks as people get experience on them.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Bringing this back up. I currently have Carl’s cut powder pros on my ‘13 and think they are a pretty decent improvement over stock on that chassis. I don’t think they are a $400 improvement but I had my stockers sold and got a killer deal on them so all in all I was out $100.

Since I have them I will probably try swapping for a ride just to see, but has anyone tried them on the axys and decided to go back to the grippers?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Since starting this thread, I kept the stock grippers on my 17 but now that sled is down the road and an 850 is on the way. So.....I'm glad to see this thread brought back up, just to see if there is any more input and maybe its time to try a different ski?????

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Maybe its the rubbers, but my gripe with geippers is hard turns/ doughnuts.
The ski Will float om counter steer, then when say getting out og the doughnut it will suddenly bite hard and throw you.

Problem went away with Mohawks for me.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The ski Will float om counter steer, then when say getting out og the doughnut it will suddenly bite hard and throw you.

The lack of support and quick damage that occurs on the OEM rubbers is a huge contribution to erradic handling and dangerous scenarious. Nothing really to do with the ski. No ski works good flopping around.

The dura-pro rubbers are a BIG upgrade.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
The lack of support and quick damage that occurs on the OEM rubbers is a huge contribution to erradic handling and dangerous scenarious. Nothing really to do with the ski. No ski works good flopping around.

The dura-pro rubbers are a BIG upgrade.
You're probably right, but I changed skis and it made the problem go away.
Stock rubbers.

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK

+1, My grippers have folded up on me a handful of times in crust and weird snow conditions where I believe stiffer skis would have pushed through. Sent me flying over the bars. I still haven't ridden anything better though.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
It's a give in take much like everything in life. I don't like the C&A's until spring time when the snow is much thicker and you have those hit and miss crusts. But come springtime my mohawks are too soft.

With the invention of durapro there's an easy fix to my only gripe with the stockers which was the main reason I switched to MoHawk originally. So now basically the choice is color.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I borrowed a set of Mohawks last spring. I definitely like them better than the Grippers. They really shine in steep side hills where the gripper wants to throw you down hill at slow speeds, turn backs are way easier to maneuver also. IMO

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
ATTACK, Slydog's all new 7-inch mountain ski! is worth giving a look at...

I had the 8” Powderhounds back in the day on my Pro and thought they worked decent but could be better narrower and with a carls cut. They also needed traction and more tip up at the rear... well we got all those things, could be a good ski I think.

Premium Features