• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tell me about the Sierra Madres....

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
A group of us are heading out to the Sierra Madres for the first time early this January. Our group has spend a lot of time in the Snowies, and the Horns. There is not a lot of info out there about the Madres, but we are liking what we see so far looking at the topo maps.

How do the Madres compare to these other areas?

undergroundrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Craig, Colorado
Way smaller area than the Snowies! No real trail system just the highway thru the middle probably a good idea to take someone that knows there way around it can get way nasty up there if the wind or a storm socks you in! Alot of hills and tree riding right off the road! There is no gas or eating places on the mountain! Have a great time and enjoy make sure you have avy gear! Have fun hope this helps! One small correction you can ride over to Steamboat Lake but it is a long ride and make sure you have extra gas to get there you can get gas over there and lunch but like I said it is a long ride! You hit the road to Hog Park just below the parking on the Encampment side to get there alot of tree riding on the way over and some good hills the closer you get to Steamboat Lake and there is a good trail system over there on that side also! Jim

Hail Yea

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2010
UndergroundRMK absolutley right on the MARK! The Sierras are for more advanced riders depending on your scale ofcourse but they are AWESOME (No short tracks advised). In order to have fun there you have to be willing to get off the the main road and Boon Dock a little bit. The nice thing is if you stay on the Encampment or Riverside area you can ride either range versus having to come over from the Laramie side. We have bailed on the Snowy's more than once before because either the snow was bad or it was just too crowded and hit the Sierra's mid morning and salvaged what could have been a disappointing day of riding. As Underground RMK mention come prepared with AVY Pack, Gas, Spot, GPS, Food, etc.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
As said above- Avy gear is a must, also I recommend a gps, and survival kit.

Ive been riding the Madre's for 10+ years and though it's small in overall size compared to the Range, there is way steeper terrain. And it is easy to get twisted around.

Also be on the watch for mineshafts- there are lots of old mines and several shafts are still open.

Side note:
I would recommend staying at the Saratoga resort and spa. it's a nice place with a great Restaurant*and micro brewery, and natural hot springs pools on site.

Last edited:
D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
The Madres are a great place to go if you are prepared to stay the night! Yes it can happen and it does more than you think.
If you can get a local to take you around take him up on it.
The Madres have been my favorite place to go for a lot of years. They can be nasty to you so you need to watch the weather and be smart...

Cheers and enjoy.
DC.

D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
I would recommend staying at the Saratoga resort and spa. it's a nice place with a great Restaurant*and micro brewery, and natural hot springs pools on site.

I will have to respectfully disagree, I have had several bad experiences with the exclusive Saratoga Inn and "Resort". Very poor service and attitude all the way from the owner and manager on down the line. Apparently since I am not from Colorado and don't drive a Subaru my money is no good and I don't deserve to stay there. That's my experience and it's happened more than once. I don't go there anymore and advise you not to waste your money on this so-called resort. There are much better places to patronize in Saratoga....that actually appreciate your business. I like Saratoga, and the people who live there. I just prefer to stay away from the Inn.

Rant over...back on topic.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Thanks for the replies. We have all the proper gear and should be good to go that way. It sounds like it is going to be a great place to ride. Owen, Ill pm you. Just might take you up on that offer if we could make it happen.

undergroundrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Craig, Colorado
There is an update on Steamboat lake on the Colorado section I guess Steamboat lake Outfitters is closed at this time with sale pending hopefully will get sold and reopened so not sure about gas and stuff so may not be an option! You can get ahold of Zoomie on here and he can hook you up on all the info if you choose to ride over that way! Not knowing if you were even considering this but thought I would pass on the info seeing how I brought it up! Jim

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
Lets keep the Sierra's on the hush hush, so actually the snow if awful, no good trails, no good climbs, no nothing! :face-icon-small-win

If you want the best place to stay in encampment/riverside area, but not cheap! This place hands down is the best!

http://www.spiritwestriverlodge.com/

Lynn and RG rock!

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
I will have to respectfully disagree, I have had several bad experiences with the exclusive Saratoga Inn and "Resort". Very poor service and attitude all the way from the owner and manager on down the line. Apparently since I am not from Colorado and don't drive a Subaru my money is no good and I don't deserve to stay there. That's my experience and it's happened more than once. I don't go there anymore and advise you not to waste your money on this so-called resort. There are much better places to patronize in Saratoga....that actually appreciate your business. I like Saratoga, and the people who live there. I just prefer to stay away from the Inn.

Rant over...back on topic.

Man I'm sorry you had such a negative experience! It did change ownership 3 years ago, I don't know when you were there. My wife and I are members there and I know the owner and most of the staff. I hate to think we receive special local treatment but....
Regardless of your dealings with the Saratoga resort, thank you for staying in Saratoga and supporting our local economy.

Last edited:
D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
Man I'm sorry you had such a negative experience! It did change ownership 3 years ago, I don't know when you were there. My wife and I are members there and I know the owner and most of the staff. I hate to think we receive special local treatment but....
Regardless of your dealings with the Saratoga resort, thank you for staying in Saratoga and supporting our local economy.

It's all good, we've had a lot of good times in Saratoga, no worries. Lookin to come visit this weekend so do your best snow dance!

Cheers, Sonny

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Not to get to far off subject here... I have stayed at the Saratoga inn several times and have had both good and bad dealings with them.. I had a great friend that use to be the chef there so I stayed there quit a bit. 2 years ago a group of us 5 ended up walking out on them after an argument with the gal at the front desk.. I have stayed there since and the experience has been good.. I was actually suprised I went back...
No more worries now though we are buying a house in Saratoga....
Everyone in town are thankful for the snowmobilers
Saratoga is a great little town to hang out in...

undergroundrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Craig, Colorado
Not to get to far off subject here... I have stayed at the Saratoga inn several times and have had both good and bad dealings with them.. I had a great friend that use to be the chef there so I stayed there quit a bit. 2 years ago a group of us 5 ended up walking out on them after an argument with the gal at the front desk.. I have stayed there since and the experience has been good.. I was actually suprised I went back...

I agree awesome small town best prime Rib I ever ate was at The Wolf! Lived there for awhile would move back in a minute no work there for me right now or Id be there! Alot of good friends still there still consider it home not to far away still only 60 miles to the Baggs side from my house so not a bad trip!

D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO

Agreed, well said.
We are also looking for a place to rent or buy, I heard the Grainger place is for sale.....

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Weather and visibility permitting I would suggest riding up Hwy 70 to the top of the pass then heading north to the top of Bridger Peak, it offers great views of the major bowls and gives you an idea of the geography. Then pick a ridge and drop off the top.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Agreed, well said.
We are also looking for a place to rent or buy, I heard the Grainger place is for sale.....

Ya get the Grainger place.... Or maybe the Store's place "rivers bend".
Then I can save some money and hang out with you..

B

beefspots

Mar 10, 2008
Dayton, Wyo.

wheres the hide'a key and whats the address. LOL

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
wheres the hide'a key and whats the address. LOL

Well actually. The house we are trying to buy is an old bed and breakfast. And it has 3 motel rooms attached to the main house that we will rent out.. The house is a block away ok JW Hugus restaurant and 3 blocks away from the Wolf. Plenty of parking for trucks and trailers.
So once we get this thing closed up I will be advertising some more info..

Premium Features