• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impulse XM Turbo

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
So true, I really don't want to play with fire no more, I'm happy with 6/7 lbs boost, heard another tss went down last week with big boost and broken rods as well..

That is why we dropped boost to two clicks from the lowest boost setting, but it still hit rev limit on clicker one..

I'm tired of replacing reeds and just want a primary setup that will hold rpm under 8000..

Fred how much boost you plan on pushing this sled to? You worried about throwing another rod? My buddy turned his TSS down to 6psi this year and finally got it to stay together for first time in three seasons.

You guys talking about running 10psi or more I would be careful, the Etecs don't seem to like it. Just a warning these motors are not cheap to replace. The Etec's make so much power on low boost I would set it at 7psi and be happy IMHO.

Maybe Paul has a lot of timing pulled on the top end though so maybe that helps?

Thanks for your setup info, I very much could be setting it up the same way, your gearing I bet made a big difference as well.. Wait to have DJ get back to me thanks

Backcountrypro
03-29-2015, 01:01 PM
I run Toms arms on my T-Etec. Paired his arms with DJ's ramp and helix.....for me it works great. I am running a 160-290 primary. Dj's ramp and the ramp from Tom's look very similar.

Yes on gearing up. I went from 19:51 to 23:51. You make big power you need to gear up to take advantage of it.

This is on a Turbo Perfomance kit.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Backcountry..

From discussing this with DJ my understaing is the goal is to keep belt running to approx 3/4 of a inch of the top of the primary, witch gives a 1 to 1 ratio and our lowest belt temps..

Currently with the stock setup big pin weight and stock gearing I am running to the very top of the primary, have you looked how high your running up the primary with that big of gearing.. I was only thinking two teeth, not four

Will stock chain work or will we need to replace it with longer one.. Thanks

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yes I am getting full shift out on a climb, verified by marking primary. I had the thing fully shift out to overdrive on the trail, something like 94 MPH and it was still pulling. I could care less about top speed on the trail but it was fun to put a hurt on the short tracks! Interestingly this top speed was almost exactly where DJ's top speed calculator said I should be.

Yes if your stock gearing was 19:51 you should be able to gear all the way up to a 23 tooth without a different chain. I know this is pretty tall gearing to pull but it works for me.....it probably helps that I am a lightweight!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Pulled primary apart and was taken back how primary pin weight was installed with screw head and two washers.. Any idea how much pin weight that is to be??
My old dolten pin weight kit offered a tungsten insert That takes pin weight to 25 grams... Is the two washers and screw head more??

Seen where it was rubbing on clutch cap from being to long

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
rrent impulse setup on primary is 24grams.. But the way they have done it has caused other issues with hitting cap on primary..

Has anyone just ran the regular heavy dalton 25 gram solid pins??, or 1 mm or 2mm over size rollers?. Maybe played with softer finish spring in primary??

Seams like some easy solutions to their current setup..

I might try setting one primary up this way and another with there current high boost setup to compare..

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
The clutching that comes free with the kit is allen inserts for the pin, washers, and screws that hold in the washers. It's simply adding pin weight to keep rpms down. This set up is ok to about 8 psi above 8k ft and above. It doesn't matter if you put a dalton solid pin in, or add insert allen screws and washers, its just adding pin weight. Now, we tell all our customers that with the clutching that comes in the kit, you can't run your clickers below 3 or you'll hit the primary cap like you did.

For those who run lower elevation or higher boost we have different clutching like I've already mentioned. Including different primarily and secondary springs, arms, helix, etc. Every one knows there are several ways to get rpms down, and that's why we offer upgraded clutching options. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Does impulse gear up and/or use different helixes? Or just use stock gearing and clutching and just add more weight? I'm talking about a sled that's setup for 7500'+ and about 7 lbs of boost.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I see. It seems stock clutching leaves some room for improvement with a turbo. I've never ridden one of these kits but they look like they run real good.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Lost your contact info Zeb.. Could you send be some begging info on how to set up toms arms for 8 lbs please.. Will install all parts Thursday you sent with clutching kit and want to get out this weekend to Revy.. Thanks

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Zeb.. On your wiring harness to the secondary injectors you have a longer wire and a shorter wire... Are they injector specific or can they be put on either injector.. Thanks

XP860

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
The harness is labeled. When the Impulse Harness was new it's labeled Injector1 and Injector2. The shorter of the 2 injector plugs goes to the Impulse PTO injector and the longer injector plug goes to Impulse's MAG injector. It's in the instructions also. Hope that helps

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Out with sled yesterday.. Blistering heat 20c ambient temp and snow still very good

Climbed all sorts of long pulls with new clutching.. Gotta say a big thank you to tom at toms snowmobile and zeb..

With toms arms, and supplied weights bringing arms to 85grams, with a pur/pur primary spring, 44 helix sled ran glued at 8000rpm all day on clicker 4 at 8000 to 9000 feet, back shift was perfect producing every time between 72 to 75mph track speeds on the 174

Sleds new ecm re flash flawlessly with no hiccups or lean spots through the day.. Seen a few 12 to 12.2 a/f and boost was a solid 7 lbs every pass

http://youtu.be/QTQbMiTbZS4

image.jpg

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Forgot to mention, went to a 21 top tooth from the stock 19 that came with it.. It also is a must with this turbo kit and ran up to one inch from tip of primary now.. Lat trip out was low 60mph to 70 plus this trip on climbing speeds

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
so decided to start and move my sled from one shop to another on my property, now it's leaking oil from the turbo exhaust. what did i F up?

Premium Features