• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

165 or 154?

165 or 154?

• Total voters
I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Slim, there is no way a stock 154 w/3 inch track will out climb a stock 174 w/3 inch track on a deep powder day ... Even though the 154 will carry slightly more track speed than the 174, the 154 does not have near the flotation as the 174 or even the 163 has.

true, never said it could beat it, but it will be right there, ffs, all these sleds will outclimb the mountain these days.

Besides, Teton, you will fall off your sled within 2 miles of the truck and hurt your leg and have to go home, so it doesn't matter what you ride ;)

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
The G4 I saw had the rear springs set on 2. That will make it a wheelie machine even with it being a 165. Skidoo springs the rear of their sleds way to soft for mountain riding. The torsions are a lot of the problem. They aren't progressive enough to handle any jumps or heavy riders. That's one area I wish they would improve, throw the torsions away or figure out how to make them more progressive and less prone to bottoming out and wheelies.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
The G4 I saw had the rear springs set on 2. That will make it a wheelie machine even with it being a 165. Skidoo springs the rear of their sleds way to soft for mountain riding. The torsions are a lot of the problem. They aren't progressive enough to handle any jumps or heavy riders. That's one area I wish they would improve, throw the torsions away or figure out how to make them more progressive and less prone to bottoming out and wheelies.

The sled will wheelie if your front end is to lite ... I suggest snugging up your limiter strap which will keep the front of the sled down ... The rear torsion springs control the sleds sag and prevent the sled from bottoming out. The stock torsion springs are rated for 180# to 200# riders +\- .... I suggest installing skidoos heavier spring that are used on the 2 up touring sleds and rated for 250# to 275# riders.

The center and rear shocks aren't the greatest but thats another story.

DPG

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada

DPG[/QUOTE]

You would be surprised what a set of Elkas do to a doo skid
Proper dampening is more of an issue than springs. If your bathroom scale shows 220+ better get going on some stiffer springs though:face-icon-small-win

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
154s -> squirrel monkeys/jumpers/females etc...
165s -> bigger fellas/turbos/BBs/females etc...

DOO shoulda built GEN4 155/165/175 T3s and 155/165 Summit X 2.5s and left the SP in the XM for rental/price point sleds....BJ

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Some of us John are just going to have to run our old turboed up 860s and hold off a year till doo comes out with the 174, and you make magic happen on the 850s and give a year for the turbo manufactures to dial in there kits and fueling

Last time I talked with baker he said it will be 5k $$ more to make the 165 to a 174 with track, drivers, tunnel mount and proper skid.. Has a list of guys wanting it allready after snochecks come out.. Doo should of released it as you said.. Bad corporate decision for sure

154s -> squirrel monkeys/jumpers/females etc...
165s -> bigger fellas/turbos/BBs/females etc...

DOO shoulda built GEN4 155/165/175 T3s and 155/165 Summit X 2.5s and left the SP in the XM for rental/price point sleds....BJ

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007

DPG

Proper dampening is more of an issue than springs. If your bathroom scale shows 220+ better get going on some stiffer springs though:face-icon-small-win[/QUOTE]

I checked the prices on those elkas , they are nuts , more than z bros or raptors.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Proper dampening is more of an issue than springs. If your bathroom scale shows 220+ better get going on some stiffer springs though:face-icon-small-win

I checked the prices on those elkas , they are nuts , more than z bros or raptors.[/QUOTE]

Just take your stock X package shocks and get them revavled to you weight and riding.

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
Some of us John are just going to have to run our old turboed up 860s and hold off a year till doo comes out with the 174, and you make magic happen on the 850s and give a year for the turbo manufactures to dial in there kits and fueling

Last time I talked with baker he said it will be 5k $$ more to make the 165 to a 174 with track, drivers, tunnel mount and proper skid.. Has a list of guys wanting it allready after snochecks come out.. Doo should of released it as you said.. Bad corporate decision for sure

Actually its smart.. People will buy the 174 this year, for the same price as last. They only came out with the 154/165 to check out interest as well as create a want for the 174. Next year I guarantee a 174 G4, then look.. Anyone who bought a 165 or a 174 T3 is going to want the new 174 G4... Doo just made 2x the money. Frenchies are pretty smart

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Actually its smart.. People will buy the 174 this year, for the same price as last. They only came out with the 154/165 to check out interest as well as create a want for the 174. Next year I guarantee a 174 G4, then look.. Anyone who bought a 165 or a 174 T3 is going to want the new 174 G4... Doo just made 2x the money. Frenchies are pretty smart

I dont think your comment is accurate, conspiracy theories about screwing over consumers is laughable. Doo more than likely did a 154 and 165 as they would have been the biggest sellers by a wide margin and dont forget Doo also has the trail segment as well, the 174 is down the list of needs right now from a sales standpoint/timeline. The biggest seller last year was the 155 axys, so Doo did the right thing

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
I dont think your comment is accurate, conspiracy theories about screwing over consumers is laughable. Doo more than likely did a 154 and 165 as they would have been the biggest sellers by a wide margin and dont forget Doo also has the trail segment as well, the 174 is down the list of needs right now from a sales standpoint/timeline. The biggest seller last year was the 155 axys, so Doo did the right thing

154/155 will always be the best sellers, no doubt. My dealer was the one that turned me onto that conspiracy.. A few of the people there have been accurate since the XP came out with their rumors, so I believe alot of what they say. Not positive onto why they didnt make a 174 right now, but it could very well be a marketing tactic, which I cant name a single company that wouldnt do that..

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south

I was told by our regional rep that they simply did not have enough time to tool up production for the 174 length. They had just enough time to tool up for the 165 and 154.

Premium Features