• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What’s the #1 snowmobile destination western USA?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
There is a place accessible by boat in Alaska.

Insane amount of snow.

Lost Lake … SEWARD ALASKA.

Not uncommon to have over the hood open field plane riding all day.

Lots of riders buy cabins there after a visit.

You could take a train from Anchorage … Ride your sled off the train !!!

Seward Chamber & CVB
P, O. Box 749
2001 Seward Highway
Seward, AK 99664
GPS: 60.128633, -149.433904
Phone: (907) 224-8051
Fax: (907) 224-5353
visitseward@seward.com

Last edited:

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Most of the best areas in MT and Idaho have been shut down by forest service. That’s why so many from US want to travel to Revy, whistler and etc. I have a friend the quit snowmobiling after they shut down the Great Burn near Missoula.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Most of the best areas in MT and Idaho have been shut down by forest service. That’s why so many from US want to travel to Revy, whistler and etc. I have a friend the quit snowmobiling after they shut down the Great Burn near Missoula.

I'm sorry to hear he quit because of that. Too bad the greenies can notch that on their bedpost.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
What’s the #1 snowmobile destination western USA?

I'm sorry to hear he quit because of that. Too bad the greenies can notch that on their bedpost.

I know Stan and his crew are keeping up the good fight! Maybe just maybe we will get some of it back! And if anyone was wondering yes that area the great burn was the closest thing to riding BC in the the USA.

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
I’m from Saskatchewan and I’ve ridden quite a few areas in BC. Revy, Blue River, Mcbride, Grizzly Lodge etc. But by far my favourite place is the Bighorns in Wyoming. Man I love it there. This will be my 8th year going down there and I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I’m from Saskatchewan and I’ve ridden quite a few areas in BC. Revy, Blue River, Mcbride, Grizzly Lodge etc. But by far my favourite place is the Bighorns in Wyoming. Man I love it there. This will be my 8th year going down there and I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re kidding?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
McCall- Great place to ride provided they just received 3' of snow, but other than that a typical day in McCall can get old in a hurry, and far too many miles of gas sucking trails for my liking. I kind of feel sorry for those folks in Boise for instance who have to burn a tank of diesel and 12 or 14 gallons through the sled in an effort to ride, "Yikes" need to be a frickin millionaire to enjoy the day.

Togwotee- Again, a few too many trails for me to get from A-B, if you like tree riding you might enjoy it.

Island Park/West Yellowstone- I feel it has a lot of varied terrain. If you drop off in the right place you can minimize trail riding by dropping into ungroomed creekbeds on your way to the high country. Once you hit the high country you can always find terrain steep and scary enough for the biggest Adrenaline Junky. Those who don't require a thrill ride can ride open meadows or trees if they like and all this can happen within a mile or two of each other. It's really outstanding one size fits all terrain.

Cooke City- Again, I feel it's a great ride with a few feet of fresh, but with typical snow conditions the terrain is either a bit boring or too steep to safely ride, not enough varied intermediate terrain for myself anyway.

My Backyard/Ruby Mountains- Very small legal area to ride but what a fabulous place. Asphalt to the snowline for 6 months a year, great country for a true Adrenaline Junky. Steep narrow chutes, less avy prone than many places. You can do a little tree riding, a little open meadow riding, and if you choose can scare the hell out of yourself most every direction you look. I've never had a dull day in the Rubies, and have rode it 1,200 times over the last 30 years. It's good to be able to be on the mountain in 20 minutes and run about 5 miles down trail, burn only a half tank of gas, get your thrills, and head for out for a great lunch. I call living close to great terrain "Cheapmobiling", that way you can enjoy it 60 or possibly 70 rides a year. :face-icon-small-hap:):face-icon-small-hap:beer;

Premium Features