• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City

S
Mar 25, 2008
Michigan
My buddy and I have some time off before Christmas and were thinking about driving out to Cooke City area to ride. Just wondering how the snow usually is that time of year. It would be an almost 24 hour drive for us so just wanna see if it is usually pretty good that time of year or not worth making that long of a trip.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
The above poster is correct. Last year was a phenomenal year and my first ride was Thanks Giving. The snow was setup, but it was great for getting the break in miles on the sled. The year prior, the snow was not so good around, and around Christmas it was liking riding around on Thanks Giving last year. So it is a crap shoot. If you are looking to get out and ride Cooke is never completely disappointing and you can always find some play areas. It is also not too far from West Yellowstone and Togwotee, as well going further West to Lolo and those places. If you were to make the drive, you could find someplace to ride.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Every year varies, one year colorado may be the place with all the snow, the next year it may be montana, etc. Last year I rode Nov 17 in Cooke on 60 inches, and Again just a few days after xmas on probably 90 to 110 inches. The year before even in Dec was sketchy if I remember right. It all varies but I feel like Cooke or the snowy range in wyoming are 2 safe bets.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Every year varies, one year colorado may be the place with all the snow, the next year it may be montana, etc. Last year I rode Nov 17 in Cooke on 60 inches, and Again just a few days after xmas on probably 90 to 110 inches. The year before even in Dec was sketchy if I remember right. It all varies but I feel like Cooke or the snowy range in wyoming are 2 safe bets.

When Cooke is good, its VERY GOOD!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I agree with the others that it's variable depending on the year. Watch the Fisher Creek snotel site. I ride Cooke quite a bit and I won't go up there until the snow base at that site is consistently maintaining 50" (not 30" + a 24" dump of fluff). The two times I've broken my rule I've ended up with front end damage. Just a lot of big rocks to cover up there, especially if you don't know where the boulder fields are. It "should" be good by Christmas, even if the snow is lagging a little behind.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Look at the NOAA interactive snow map and pic you riding area days weeks months before booking a trip.

Premium Features