• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 dragon trouble shooting

Before ordering a voltage regulator or other parts I want to try disconnecting the hand warmers and also disconnect the kill button at the plug and jump that and to test the teather, to test if the sled would then have spark. I got the plastics off the sled and am hoping some one can tell me what's up with this process, what colours are the kill button wires?
How do I identify the grip warmer wires?
My electrical skills suck so I'd sure appreciate a rundown on a few little tests before kicking out cash.

Last day of running it started running crappy and stalling and taking a few minutes to restart. It made it back to the truck and now sitting cold it has good compression and no spark. New plugs change nothing, I pulled the voltage regulator and find bumps or bubbles on the bottom so I suspect it's been hot.

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
The newer VRs fail with the symptoms you describe. It will run poorly, it will die and take awhile to start back up. This is an attempt to keep from frying the ecu. I would start there.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I don't know if the aftermarket regulators have the feature built in to them like the 4013587 Polaris regulator that if it fails it won't take out the ECU. I know there is quite a price difference between aftermarket and OEM regulators but ECU's are expensive. I'd go with the Polaris.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Most likely your ecu is out also. If you continue to run them with a bad VR it takes out the ecu rather quickly. What leads me to believe this is you stated it now has no spark.

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
Working a 09 dragon 800. Same symptoms. Had original VR. Pulled the ecu and inspected the back. Melted. Fried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voltage regulator is in and the sled runs now 4 or 5 pulls is a bit much though?
I notice I have smoke blowing out the vent tube distal to the solinoid from the power valves so let's hear what's up with that.
I have 60 psi fuel pressure and a new fuel filter.
I put in br9es spark plugs --- possibly iridium plugs might help?
120 compression
I'm thinking I should check the TPS but I'm open to ideas guys

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Smoke out the hose from the exhaust valve solenoid at idle is normal. Iridium plugs won't make it start any better IMHO than a good set of standard plugs. If it still seems hard to start compared to an equivalent sled, setting the TPS correctly might make a difference, not sure where else to look as long as compression is good... if someone else had an ECU for the same motor and injector color, it would be a good test to temporarily swap out the ECU and see if that helped.
:juggle:

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
1600 .+/- 200 RPM. If reverse isn't working, try to get your idle to above 1600.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
If u still have last years gas in then it’s a good ideal to put in some fresh stuff. I was chasing a hard start issue (10 plus pulls) and assumed since I had used stabilizer that couldn’t be it. After fresh gas 2 pulls. I almost started digging into the tps and a whole world of other things.:face-icon-small-ton

Good thought on the fuel Xc, it's been out two full days from the time of replacing the voltage regulator.
It's reported to have intermitant bouts of no top end that could happen at a hill or on the flats, so I have ordered a fuel filter and would like to replace the plug caps and wires. Any ideas on what NGk part # caps to order?

Xc the fuel idea makes sense but the sled has been out running 2 long days from when the voltage regulator was done so the older fuel must be burned up by now.
I ordered a new fuel filter and am looking on eBay at NGK spark plug caps, theirs lots of choices .

Premium Features