• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interesting power graph compares Doo and Poo engines.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
what happens after the doo's max rpm rating? do the other sleds just bow down and say go doo? We can't rev anymore or it's not fair? Probably not. Skidoo has a great motor but it's not a powerhouse compared to the other two. Cat's 800 is damn close to either and I'd be hard pressed not to say it's as torque-y (bad grammar-it's late) as the 850 skidoo. I'm not knocking the 850 by any means, but I feel like you are missing the point here. Clutch for your motor's powerband. It might make more torque at a lower rpm but if both sleds are clutched right the polaris will just be running 300 rpm higher and they both will pull hard. I've spent time on all three and they are all fantastic.

What happens after the Doo's max RPM rating? Well it drops like any other motor does as I stated already and the graphs clearly show. If you go over 8000 or whatever you aren't clutched right. I didn't know there was a point to get? I was just laying down the truth behind the graphs which are, yes strictly crank, I think you missed the point. I wasn't ever talking about clutching. Read below.

So what I think you should do next is post up the torque curves. Then I want to see your sled pull itself around at 5000 rpm where the torque is greatest... More torque in a high strung 8000 rpm 2 stroke is mostly worthless. Clutching and gearing can easily compensate for the few extra lb/ft you think you have.

I agree, Doo made a pretty good motor this time around. Is it head and shoulders above the rest? Not from my experience, not even close.

I thought about it, you could take the points on this graph and calculate the torque curves but I have already seen them on bikeman's graphs which are similar. I don't know what you are agreeing with in reference to what I said. Yes, the Doo 850 is a good motor, no I never said it was head and shoulders above the rest. People seemed to be misinterpreting the graph and thinking that the Doo makes more power throughout its curve and it really doesn't with respect to time. Put the Poo up 300 RPM and boom you have the same power butttttt if you pick an RPM to observe the respective HPs at thennnn Doo makes more power at that RPM and therefore makes more torque (since it is generating more power at a lower RPM) that's all I was saying. Am I sounding like a broken record?

The CVT (properly tuned) does cater to the power produced, but the bottom line is they all have to run from engagement to peak RPM. The more power made from engagement to peak can shorten that time and allow a quicker acceleration. A electric motor would be a extreme example of this...peak power from 0-whatever RPM. Think a peaky 440 spinning a big track vs a 800 making similar peak HP. In my experience on a mountain sled, it's all about making as much power as early as possible which also makes clutching more forgiving.
Then factor in the clutches/calibration and how they grip the belt at various ratios will also effect how ANY power is transferred. Maybe the Poo clutches do a better job than the Doo and show more power to the track at lower ratios? I have not seen much track dyno data to say. These graphs are just one factor between crank and snow.

The bold statement is the way to start the conversation about clutching and drive system.

If you got on a sled with a motor inside and no drive system you would not be able to say "oh this motor is so much power potent than that other motor" you would have no way to feel that.

It is what is between the motor and the snow that enables you to gauge how the motor feels.

Motor > Clutching > Gearing Setup > Driveshaft Design > Track Design > Snow Conditions

Look at all the stuff between Motor and Snow before you feel anything. Or like shockman said we could discuss what happens before the motor (how it gets its power) Intake > Fuel Injection Method > Combustion Design > Exhaust > Motor

Last edited:

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
HPWARS.JPG

Here are the Bikeman graph's. Red is Doo 850. Black is Poo 850. There are so many variables that go into this. But as you see torque remains higher on the graph for the Doo.

In the "Motor > Clutching > Gearing Setup > Driveshaft > Track Design" you can really branch off of all of these but from the T3 to the G4 there is a world of difference in these stages of Motor to the Snow. The pDrive is far more efficient and all things further down this system. I don't believe the Poo gets power to the ground better but also can't say it does it any worse. That is unbiased and from experience. This was case however, pre-G4

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You must not have spent much time on a belt drive Polaris if you think Doo puts the power to the snow better. On low snow day a couple years ago we lined sleds up and did meadow drags. My 800 Axys with the belt drive was spanking the 800 T3 Doo with my lightweight buddy on it. Response of the quick drive system IMO seriously outshines the P-drive system. YMMV

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
You must not have spent much time on a belt drive Polaris if you think Doo puts the power to the snow better. On low snow day a couple years ago we lined sleds up and did meadow drags. My 800 Axys with the belt drive was spanking the 800 T3 Doo with my lightweight buddy on it. Response of the quick drive system IMO seriously outshines the P-drive system. YMMV

I said pardon!! 800 T3 never had a P-Drive

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
The only downside I see with the doo powerband is at idle to 5500. They are so torquey they have a tendency to spin the track rather than hook up. For anyone (everyone LOL!!!) that has tried to free a high "nose up" stucky XM/G4 will know exactly what I mean.... ...They are harder to unstick than a poo or cat and part of that is sheer power.

Dynamo Joe has been preaching the benefit of lowering engagement RPM on the 850's cause there is lots of very "useful" power down low...the kind you can use to get unstuck.

It was one of the first things I noticed with his clutch kit....that and you can successfully move backwards when in reverse:face-icon-small-hap

OTM

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
The pDrive is far more efficient and all things further down this system.

You guys are insane if you think the pDrive is more efficient. How many years has doo been battling belt blowing and crazy hot clutches? Heat comes from inefficiency, it's physics, plain and simple. Comparing box stock sleds, cat has the most efficient CVT, Poo second and Doo third.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth

You guys are insane if you think the pDrive is more efficient. How many years has doo been battling belt blowing and crazy hot clutches? Heat comes from inefficiency, it's physics, plain and simple. Comparing box stock sleds, cat has the most efficient CVT, Poo second and Doo third.

To both of you, I wrote that poorly. I was comparing the T3 to the G4 and then in the next sentence compared the G4 to the Poo.

I was saying that the pDrive is far more efficient than the old TRA as I was talking about the T3 (which had the TRA). I was not comparing the efficiency of the pDrive to Polaris' setup. However if you want to I think the pDrive is better. Poo has a solid system but a pDrive setup right is tough to beat. Belt issues were mostly related to alignment, not the clutching itself. So talk physics about the heat generation all you want it is not at the fault of the pDrive.

But then, I brought in the Poo, comparing it to the G4, and said I don't think the Poo gets it to the ground any better ORRRR worse. Unbiased and from experience. I am not talking just primary clutches here, I am talking the whole drive system after the motor. Hope this is more clear and I feel like I have spent enough time on a belt drive Poo to say this, hence "from experience".

I do believe Cat has a very tough to beat system. Even being a Doo faithful, I am liking the way Cat is tackling the mountain sled design.

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The only downside I see with the doo powerband is at idle to 5500. They are so torquey they have a tendency to spin the track rather than hook up. For anyone (everyone LOL!!!) that has tried to free a high "nose up" stucky XM/G4 will know exactly what I mean.... ...They are harder to unstick than a poo or cat and part of that is sheer power.

Well, if you say so, it must be true... Personally, I think the reason the Doo is the hardest to ease out of a hole is the poor track angle compared to the other two brands. I ride with a lot of G4's and, they are definately the most work to get unstuck.

Dynamo Joe has been preaching the benefit of lowering engagement RPM on the 850's cause there is lots of very "useful" power down low...the kind you can use to get unstuck.

It was one of the first things I noticed with his clutch kit....that and you can successfully move backwards when in reverse:face-icon-small-hap

OTM

...and Cat is way ahead of any clutch kit with the bearing on the primary. Lower engagement than all the rest. If you think 3-5 lb/ft of torque advantage by Doo is what cause it to trench, you are kidding yourself.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I think the approach angle hurts the G4 too, in a way.

The advantage to it is that the sleds are all light on the skis and sends the fun factor sky high. Hmmm isn't that what the new Poo Khaos is supposed to have? A high fun factor? Yes, hence the steeper approach angle, longer front arm making it light on the skis. I think the 3.5 in. pitch adds to the fun factor of a G4 cause you feel it pull and keep pulling. So maybe Poo missed the boat there but majority comes of it comes from the center skid geometry in my opinion.

So this does come at a cost if you want high fun factor? Lose a little "get up on the snow" capability. Pick your poison. I've discussed it in another thread. You can make a Doo get up on the snow better if you want.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
interesting read , time for a revive ,

Is there way to determine where you HP peak is on your particular motor without a dyno ?

How would a person set up his stop watch , tacho, and radar to determine where the actual power peak is on that particular sled ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
interesting read , time for a revive ,

Is there way to determine where you HP peak is on your particular motor without a dyno ?

How would a person set up his stop watch , tacho, and radar to determine where the actual power peak is on that particular sled ?
this may be subject to some big revisions come March 1st....

Premium Features