• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BD turbo specs and questions

P
Nov 26, 2007
recently acquired a 2014 rmk 800 with a BD race gas turbo, here are my questions

Has a KOSO egt guage, what should be my safe EGT temp?
reeds- assume replace with stock poo reeds, any other options?
Sled has an indy specialty short rod motor with axis pistons, I am putting stock polaris AXYS pistons in it, how many miles should I run then- 500-800?

Thanks

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Eat temp gauge is only a guide. You need to read the plugs and Egypt is used as reference. It’s hard to say temp.

Stock reeds seem to work best reliability vs throttle response. The new v3 work very well but you may have to tune the bottom for them a little bit. They seal off better than stock.

Dan has switched to 15 pro pistons. Use those.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Quote: "Eat temp gauge is only a guide. You need to read the plugs and Egypt is used as reference. It’s hard to say temp.

Stock reeds seem to work best reliability vs throttle response. The new v3 work very well but you may have to tune the bottom for them a little bit. They seal off better than stock.

Dan has switched to 15 pro pistons. Use those." End Quote

Don't you just hate auto correct? LOL

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Boyesen makes a turbo reed there 10% thicker and stiffer. Held up extra 400 miles each time for me compared to stock. The factory 15 pistons are and update for 14. 1500 miles for pistons has been safe. Some people are getting 2500-4000 miles If tuned well and oil pump turned up on new style pistons.
The placement of probes makes a difference as well. If probes are in y pipe or atleast before the turbo- My experience is If you can keep it 1000f max on trail and 1150- 1250f WOT you should be safe and good power. If your seeing 1300f at last few seconds of your longest hill climb your at max safe power. As others said egt is just one scenario in tuning, there is no one ultimate thing to watch for but it can keep you from melt down.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Bruce at Indy was specific for me to use axis pistons based on the build, but I am heading over there next week and bringing the motor with me for them to check out.

The EGT probes are in the Y-pipe, I will look for the turbo reeds since I cannot find a part number for OEM reeds without buying the cage.

Thanks

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Every sled runs at a different temp on the gauge. I haven’t used egts since the carb turbo days. My old 700 ran perfect at 1350. My buddies ran best at 1450. Well past what is suppose to be melt down. Egts are a guide. You need to determine what is best for you.

Premium Features