• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Arms....ZRP vs SLP

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
The SLP’s I need more time on. But at the moment they feel solid from bottom to top. Possibly a bit less bottom end ”snap”from a start. Most likely a tuning thing. But they do continue to pull through the power band. Easy to add or remove weight. This is on my 2019 Summit. Looking promising though. Looking forward to more time on the SLP weights. Engagement is around 3000-3200 rpm.

ZRP also work well, maintain RPM well. Once adjusted RPM does not move from 5,000ft to 10,000. The bottom end “snap” is as good or better than stock. Engagement can be set up to be nice and low or higher depending on preferences. Only down fall is the weights have to come out to add or remove. But once properly set, you never touch the clutch. Ran these on my 17 and 18 Summits. Not the 2019 yet. Belt heat on these sleds did not change with any clutch parts. Only prolonged the inevitable explosion of a belt. The ZRP was the best of what I’ve tried till this season, will see as we get into the season more.

Stock clickers are not needed, so no real worries about loosing them.

Side note: I blew lots and lots of belts on both my 17 and 18. No clutch parts made that stop. Hence the reason Skidoo has the 2019 updates/improved clutch ventilation etc. this year. The G4 is a excellent sled, however ridden hard in the deep the bad motor mounting rears up and bites back. Clutch parts gain performance... and for most probably better belt life, just not everyone (me) unfortunately.

Last edited:

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I have an 18 175 and ran the ZRP weights with stock helix and a lighter primary and stiffer secondary spring all last year. Less clutch heat, smother engagement and more consistent RPM than the stock set up. Ability to add weight to the tip, belly or heel is a plus. No increase in track speed over stock on a steep powder climb. Better top end pull across the meadow or down the trail at speeds over 50 MPH. Only downside is you have to remove the weights to make adjustments. With the Goodwin Performance tool that was no problem, probably took 10 minutes from start to finish.

This year I’m running a clutch kit from ibackshift.com, don’t have many miles yet but so far seeing little difference from my setup from last year. It uses the stock arms, custom helix and pin set, softer primary and stiffer secondary.

To be honest, I think if you use the stock arms and helix with a softer primary (stock primary on a 19 is perfect) and stiffer secondary spring (stock low altitude secondary spring works great) and get a pin weight set to dial in the RPM to 7950 that you will pretty much match the performance of any of the clutch kits out there.

FWIW, I’m also running the SLP Magnum Force weights in my Axys. They work well, but aside from easy adjustability I don’t think they perform any better than Polaris 10 series weight.

Haven’t found any “mystical-magical“ qualities with either the ZRP or SLP weights. The work well, but switching to them won’t be that special sauce that will make your sled out perform your buddies sled.

Last edited:
N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
yeah, from Eburg. I think it's $240...comes with adjustable weights and a new primary spring. I've heard really good things, and he tests right in my back yard so...thought I'd give it a shot even though I haven't had belt issues.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Nice thing with the mds weights is a money back guaranteed if your not happy.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Side note: I blew lots and lots of belts on both my 17 and 18. No clutch parts made that stop. Hence the reason Skidoo has the 2019 updates/improved clutch ventilation etc. this year. The G4 is a excellent sled, however ridden hard in the deep the bad motor mounting rears up and bites back. Clutch parts gain performance... and for most probably better belt life, just not everyone (me) unfortunately.

Have you aligned you clutch in ALL 3 planes using the Grip N Rip clutch alignment setup ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFd8btzO0ro

How about changing the torque stop?

SKI DOO G4 850 POLYURETHANE TORQUE STOPPER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSyqjLfehMA

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Not yet, I’ve been letting the 2019 take a set before shimming. Have checked it twice, once with 20 miles on it the other was this past Friday with 150-200 miles. None of the measurements see the same....

Keep in mind the grip and rip is new for this year. Would not have helped the 17 or 18.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Not yet, I’ve been letting the 2019 take a set before shimming. Have checked it twice, once with 20 miles on it the other was this past Friday with 150-200 miles. None of the measurements see the same....

Keep in mind the grip and rip is new for this year. Would not have helped the 17 or 18.

So your still popping belts on the 19?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Not yet, so far the Skidoo updates are holding on the 19. Though I’m still seeing 230-240 degrees on belt temps, and the new 571 belt. Snow has been a bit crappy the past week or two. Once we get more the evaluation will get better.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Not yet, so far the Skidoo updates are holding on the 19. Though I’m still seeing 230-240 degrees on belt temps, and the new 571 belt. Snow has been a bit crappy the past week or two. Once we get more the evaluation will get better.

Stock clutching and gearing?

Ace

I
Jul 5, 2001
Factory out of alignment

I have a 2018 850 175 and it was a belt eater last year.....
Did Tim's grip n rip red torque stops on BOTH PTO side mounts and installed the 2019 Mag side mount.
The sleds I have measured are way out of whack to start..... you have to take them "out of spec" so when under power they are Center to Center correct and parallel under power.....

Belt temps went from 330*F to under 200*F......

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I have a 2018 850 175 and it was a belt eater last year.....
Did Tim's grip n rip red torque stops on BOTH PTO side mounts and installed the 2019 Mag side mount.
The sleds I have measured are way out of whack to start..... you have to take them "out of spec" so when under power they are Center to Center correct and parallel under power.....

Belt temps went from 330*F to under 200*F......

... link to the torque stops?

Ace

Premium Features