• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air shifter kit

B

barefooter

Nov 27, 2007
Sherwood Park, AB
So. Been thinking of trying to use an air shifter on a snowbike. (Already have a Rekluse)

Let me explain. 7 years ago I had a disc collapse in my back. Full paralysis on my left leg. No way to operate - damage was too bad. So over the last 7 years, lots or rehab and just bulling through. I am back to 100 movement in my left leg. The only thing I still suffer from is called "drop-foot" - my foot is extremely week to move up. Lots of strength downward. So my upshifts look like a gorilla doing it, I have to pull up the whole leg, not just the foot. (downshifting is fine).

So after blowing a shift in the hillclimb this weekend - started thinking CVT tranny.

Then I remembered the old airshift technology from the 1980's. Bob Hannah and Broc Glover both raced Open bikes with airshift tech back then.

Searched online and there appears to be both airshift and electric shift mechanisms for quads and bikes. Has anyone actually installed or used one. Any advice appreciated.

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/atv-dirtbike-electric-speed-shifters.asp

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
The c02 shifters used in drag bikes work awesome but will have problems with freeze up in the cold. I suggest looking at an electric system. And yes it will work and work very well if done right.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Hadn't seen the ones for the quads, but have seen ones sold for street bikes. Shouldn't be too difficult to set up. I had considered building a snow bike from the ground up as just snow, modified frame etc, and this was my choice for shifting since foot position would change a lot in relation to motor, and shifter being inaccessible. Plus in the snow, I really don't want to have to use my feet.
I would love to see you set this up and give us some feedback.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If you decide on a Pneumatic based system, try Dry Nitrogen, IMO would be the best choice for actuation.

Dry Nitrogen is what shocks are supposed to be charged with so they don't freeze.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
HD shifter

One of my bussiness partners asked me to help him install an electric button shift on his Harley 4 or 5 years ago. He bought the kit while in Sturgis several years before and needed help on the installation.

Went pretty smooth, took a Sat morning mostly reading directions and wiring. When correctly adjusted it, it made nice smooth shifts so you could ride with your feet on the hiway pegs without having to come back to the pegs to shift. Never tried power shifts, it had an ignition kill on the shift mode to made nice shifts. Should work on most any bike.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you decide on a Pneumatic based system, try Dry Nitrogen, IMO would be the best choice for actuation.

Dry Nitrogen is what shocks are supposed to be charged with so they don't freeze.

I agree you will want the driest air possible to prevent freeze ups.

Nitrogen is used in shocks because it is more thermally stable, not to avoid freeze ups. Dry CO2 or normal compressed air should work just as good in this application.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I have also thought that a button shift would be slick. bada$$ on dragbikes.

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Shifter

If pushin down is no problem why not put a shifter on with front and rear peddles that way you can always push down to shift?

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
So. Been thinking of trying to use an air shifter on a snowbike. (Already have a Rekluse)

Let me explain. 7 years ago I had a disc collapse in my back. Full paralysis on my left leg. No way to operate - damage was too bad. So over the last 7 years, lots or rehab and just bulling through. I am back to 100 movement in my left leg. The only thing I still suffer from is called "drop-foot" - my foot is extremely week to move up. Lots of strength downward. So my upshifts look like a gorilla doing it, I have to pull up the whole leg, not just the foot. (downshifting is fine).

So after blowing a shift in the hillclimb this weekend - started thinking CVT tranny.

Then I remembered the old airshift technology from the 1980's. Bob Hannah and Broc Glover both raced Open bikes with airshift tech back then.

Searched online and there appears to be both airshift and electric shift mechanisms for quads and bikes. Has anyone actually installed or used one. Any advice appreciated.

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/atv-dirtbike-electric-speed-shifters.asp

A heel shifter does seem the most economical and simplistic. You might need a custom one to fit though. Only issue with the electric one I see if that most snowbikes are already taxed for electrical output.

search

12196_1350x900_RGB_72DPI.jpg

Last edited:
A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Response

Looks like Translogic has not done or supports any Powershifters for Enduro bikes. Sent a inquiry about a KTM 500 XC-W

"Hi Jerry

Thank you for your enquiry. I’m sorry, we don’t have any experience with this field, we’d have to say you might need to look elsewhere for product on this occasion.

Sorry we couldn’t be of assistance this time.

Thank you.

Kindest Regards
David Bruton
(Product Manager)
Translogic Systems Ltd"

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Since you don't need the rear brake why not convert that lever to shift the bike up so it's right leg down for downshifts and left leg down for up shifts?

Seems like an aircraft push-pull cable and some welding would accomplish this and be reliable.

Premium Features