• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gates belt to replace the 377 xp belt

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
What gates belt is the direct replacement for the 377 doo belt and how are they working. I have had really good luck with the gates belts in the past and would like to try one on the summit xp. Comments??????

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
there is a gates I used inplace of the 166 until the 377 came out. It was slightly shorter than the 166.

Here is what gates recomends now, from the gates site: http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3002

Product Detail

Product ID

Part #

43X4320

Product Description

43X4320 XTREME SNOW BELT

UPC

Category Hierarchy

Industrial Power Transmission -> Heavy Duty V-Belts -> Snowmobile Belts -> Xtreme® Snowmobile Belts, P.N. Series 9839
Automotive -> Belts -> Snowmobile Belts - Xtreme®

Product

Application
Features/Advantages Withstands temperature extremes down to -30°F.
Aramid Tensile Cords combine limited stretch, extraordinary strength and durability.

Markets/Applications Designed for snowmobile trail rider and high performance racing sleds.

Belt / Sprocket Specifications
Angle 26

Category Name Description Aramid cord and advanced composite construction provide extraordinary strength and durability for high performance requirements like power clutching. Also well suited for everyday trail riding to produce long wear and dependability.

Effective Length (In.) 43.37

Effective Length (mm) 1102

Outside Circumference (In.) 43.37

Outside Circumference (mm) 1102

Recommended Sheaves Contact the Gates Made-To-Order Metals Team.

Top Width (In.) 1.438

Top Width (mm) 36

Notes
Belt Notes Length listed should be used for length comparison only. If a cataloged belt does not fit the specific snowmobile, use the reference length to determine if there is a slightly longer or shorter belt length available which meets the manufacturer’s belt fit specifications.

Packaging
Standard Pack 30

Product Attributes
Notched Yes

Specifications
Length 44.000

Weight
Weight (Lbs.) 1.45

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
How do Gates Xtreme belts compare to Carlisle Ultimax3 belts? I've had pretty good luck with the Ultimax3 belts, just on REV's though.

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
Call Felkers in Loveland, CO. Lynn has a "new" Gates belt that works awesome! He spent all last year working on it with Gates and has a new one this season. 970-667-1300 Ask for Brooke.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
How do Gates Xtreme belts compare to Carlisle Ultimax3 belts? I've had pretty good luck with the Ultimax3 belts, just on REV's though.

Tried both
Gates and Carlisle last season prior to fixing my xp. Both lasted about the same, better than the 166 but not as good as the 377. The sizes are a bit different as the Gates was a bit shorter and narrower I think. Gates was a better price.

M

MontanaPowder

Nov 30, 2007
Kalispell
Gates 4320

Used 9 belts last year. Two Gates, they lasted longer than 166 and xs803 but not the 377.

I now have alignment and am 7 rides with the 377. Shockwave has helped clutch temps along with the 860kit pulling a 130-260, net effect better grip on primary vs secondary. Even out slip on front with more grip up front that is and has been lacking with the new qrs.

I think with changes the Gates would be fine.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The only problem with Gates belts is they give you about zero warning before they let go... and when they go it's like a grenade going off under your hood, and the damage to go with it. Most belts will pitch a string or smell hot, but the Gates just explodes into about 400 little pieces and typically takes anything in the vacinity with it...belt guard, footrest, speedo cable etc....
I'e had the best luck with factory belts, as has just about everyone I ride with.

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
Yep! I just grenaded two Gates in the last two rides. No "hair" on the vents, no warning. Just a GIGANTIC BOOM while in the middle of a turn while highmarking. Very exciting indeed:eek: I'm going back to the 377's.

Premium Features