• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford SD auto shifter fix

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Ok I have a 04 Superduty with an automatic Tranny. This morning the shifter went almost limp. It has been giving me troubles getting into park lately but wasnt a big deal. This morning when I put it in park it went limp. The postition indicater says its in reverse but i got the key out and it did not go anywhere so I'm thinking it is actually in park. Anyone else have this issue and where do I start to tear this apart.

Thanks

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
Just this morning a friend of mine just got his back from the dealer. He had had a similar problem on a used super duty he just bought. There was a bushing in the case were the selector shaft comes out of the tranny that was never installed from the factory. Dealer said they had never seen it before but it might be worth checking. First he had problems putting it in and out of gear and then it started dripping fluid past the selector shaft seal. He said you could feel the play in the shaft by pulling on it.

K
Dec 10, 2007
KAYCEE WY
have someone watch the cable on the side of the tranny while u move the lever, if it doesn't move you have a broken shift tube and or plunger. these are located in the steering column assembly and are a real pain to get at if you haven't done them brfore. I do pry 2 a month in my fleet, if mud gets built up under your truck it binds the cable an if you pull or push on the lever very hard it will snap the tube and plunger in a heart beat...If you dont have much mechanical experience an alot of patience I wouldn't atempt it, lol u will just get pizzed an break more stuff lol believe me. If you need to get it home or onto a trailer or sumthing, take the panel off under the steering wheel an if you look you will see where the cable hooks onto the shift tube you can pop the cable off with a screw driver and push and pull the cable in and out to select gears so you can drive it....let me know if you need any more info:eek:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I don't have a Super Duty, but I did have a very similar problem on my 94 a while back, turned out the 2 bolts that hold the end of the cable to the shifter arm under the steering column had finally worked loose after having a lot of play for a long time. Tightened em up and shifter worked tight as new:D

I don't know how the design is on the new trucks, but that's the first place I would look:beer;:beer;

Premium Features