• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobiling is a Work Out

W
Do you work out? What is everyone's thought on working out/fitness routines? We all know snowmobiling is a workout itself. Do you do anything else to stay fit? My question was sparked by a post I saw on one of these groups that asked about drinking energy drinks. Thought this would be a fun discussion as well.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do you work out? What is everyone's thought on working out/fitness routines? We all know snowmobiling is a workout itself. Do you do anything else to stay fit? My question was sparked by a post I saw on one of these groups that asked about drinking energy drinks. Thought this would be a fun discussion as well.

No way you can sled in the mountains without BEING IN SHAPE!

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Riding used to be my only annual workout routine. I haven't rode in three years and can feel my out of shapeness at work and elsewhere. I need to get out more!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Riding used to be my only annual workout routine. I haven't rode in three years and can feel my out of shapeness at work and elsewhere. I need to get out more!
3 months for me and I am feeling it!

I just started my PRE-Season fitness program.

Goal #1 is to drop 20lbs and get to 180 or below.
Then in October I will start a regular daily exercise program to start building up strength and endurance once again.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana

Weight lifting and high intensity workouts such as Crossfit are the absolute best to simulate what we do on the snow. We ride hard for maybe 10 mins or less a time with it often being 5 mins or less.

As we have seen many of the top riders use Crossfit and similar strategies to stay in shape. You dont need to go to a gym. There is plenty of free programming and coaching available. You do need some basics like a barbell, pull up bar, jump rope, and couple dumbells.

If you are interested I would be happy to help anyone get started with advice and recommendations.

Simply put the more you ger out and get active hiking, mtn biking, or swimming the better off you will be. Three days a week in the off season will make a tremendous difference.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Generally I do not workout by going to the gym etc etc. But I live a fairly active lifestyle, hiking/dirtbiking when im not sledding. Obviously all strength is good strength when your trying to dance with a 500# machine, so any degree of weight lifting/core strength is going to be helpful, just not my cup of tea.

I still put cardio and general endurance and ability to sustain activity as the most important thing. The more you ride the more you muscle the sled less and get stuck less, you use finesse instead of brute strength and struggling. Also, because we generally ride 1000's of feet higher in elevation then we live (especially for midwest guys coming to the mtns) Your lungs/heart are working OVERTIME trying to get oxygen to your muscles and keep your body working. So it doesn't matter how big and strong you are if you cant even catch your breath.

While doing anything be it sledding/hiking/dirtbiking/throwing hay bales, I like to focus on finding my peak sustainable effort level and try to hang there. Dont go nuts and wear yourself out in 5 minutes and have to sit and take a break and dont just lollygag. Try to focus on pushing hard for a long period of time. Keep your body working hard. Turn really anything into a little bit of a workout.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Just started back at the Gym about a month ago. Haven't been there in about 6 years (Wife and I had 4 boys in that time). I go with about 5 people from work during lunch time everyday and we do a class at Lifetime. Barbell Strength, No limits(taught by a cross fit instructor), and a Class called Shred. They have really been kicking my butt and i'm down about 12lbs in a month. Hope to be down another 35 ish by riding season. Should be a good year!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just started back at the Gym about a month ago. Haven't been there in about 6 years (Wife and I had 4 boys in that time). I go with about 5 people from work during lunch time everyday and we do a class at Lifetime. Barbell Strength, No limits(taught by a cross fit instructor), and a Class called Shred. They have really been kicking my butt and i'm down about 12lbs in a month. Hope to be down another 35 ish by riding season. Should be a good year!

-12lbs in a MONTH is HUGE weight loss!
3lbs a week is serious.

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
Any offtrail riding you better be in shape. If not your first stuck you are going to say what the fuc_! Older you get the worse it is. Im turning 53 in Oct and generally start on the cardio about first of sept.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well i started at 270lbs. I got alot to lose! Hope to be around 225 For Sledding season!!!
Bravo.
I manage about 1,500 people going through our weight-loss program over at http://www.100down.org

and
https://weightix.com

General rule is 1lb/week is baseline.
1.5lb/week is slightly accelerated
2lbs/week is aggressive
2.5 or 3lbs/week is VERY aggressive and usually not sustainable for long term large weight loss. With one specific exception, guys who come in at 300+ lbs!

This is a good snapshot of a group of 94 who are going through the program right now.

pounds-jpg.221

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Bravo.
I manage about 1,500 people going through our weight-loss program over at http://www.100down.org

and
https://weightix.com

General rule is 1lb/week is baseline.
1.5lb/week is slightly accelerated
2lbs/week is aggressive
2.5 or 3lbs/week is VERY aggressive and usually not sustainable for long term large weight loss. With one specific exception, guys who come in at 300+ lbs!

Oh boy... This could be tough! Challenge accepted!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2.5 or 3lbs/week is VERY aggressive and usually not sustainable for long term large weight loss.

Oh boy... This could be tough! Challenge accepted!

he he he
Always more fun to have a CHALLENGE to push yourself against eh?

Okay.
Whats your Current Weight today
Whats your final GOAL weight
And When do you want to be at your Goal Weight?

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
he he he
Always more fun to have a CHALLENGE to push yourself against eh?

Okay.
Whats your Current Weight today
Whats your final GOAL weight
And When do you want to be at your Goal Weight?

It's getting real now!

258 Yesterday at the Gym

225lbs.... I think... I'm 6' 4" and not a total weakling so i think that is a good place to get too.

Was hoping to be there by my birthday November 30th.

What i'm already realizing is more than what the scale says is how i feel. My muscles are already starting to take the workouts better. The first 2 weeks were insane! I hurt so bad after. Now the recovery is already a lot better.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've had athletic team doctors, for years, tell our athletes that the general baseline is that you can't burn more than 2 pounds of fat per week without losing muscle.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Well you can burn more fat than that...but you'll give up some muscle.

I don't know too many people, other than bodybuilders, who want to preserve as much muscle mass as possible with the lowest body fat possible.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I've had athletic team doctors, for years, tell our athletes that the general baseline is that you can't burn more than 2 pounds of fat per week without losing muscle.

It CAN be done.
It just takes a HECK OF A LOT more PLANNING and commitment.

That weight-loss has to be SUPPLEMENTED with serious Protein intake to compensate and ensure no muscle mass is lost.

At 258lbs, losing 3lbs a week IS a lot.
With a goal of 225 thats a loss of 58lbs in in 14 weeks or FOUR POUNDS per week.

Seriously though
This is a SUPER AGGRESSIVE schedule.

I would not put someone on a -4lb/week schedule who wasn't over 350lbs, and 400lbs would be better.

On a normal basis, this is the weightless schedule for someone weighing in at FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS, where the standard goal is

-50lbs in the first 90 days.
-45lbs in the second 90 days
-40lbs in the third 90 days
-36lbs in the fourth 90 days

For a total sustainable loss of 171lbs in a year.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
It CAN be done.
It just takes a HECK OF A LOT more PLANNING and commitment.

That weight-loss has to be SUPPLEMENTED with serious Protein intake to compensate and ensure no muscle mass is lost.

At 258lbs, losing 3lbs a week IS a lot.
With a goal of 225 thats a loss of 58lbs in in 14 weeks or FOUR POUNDS per week.

Seriously though
This is a SUPER AGGRESSIVE schedule.

I would not put someone on a -4lb/week schedule who wasn't over 350lbs, and 400lbs would be better.

On a normal basis, this is the weightless schedule for someone weighing in at FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS, where the standard goal is

-50lbs in the first 90 days.
-45lbs in the second 90 days
-40lbs in the third 90 days
-36lbs in the fourth 90 days

For a total sustainable loss of 171lbs in a year.

Math error alert....

258 -225 is 33 lbs in 14 weeks. So a little over 2.5 lbs a week.

I was thinking around 3lbs a week to start and tapering to around 2 after a bit.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Math error alert....

258 -225 is 33 lbs in 14 weeks. So a little over 2.5 lbs a week.

I was thinking around 3lbs a week to start and tapering to around 2 after a bit.

Ya, thats a MINOR DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!

Sorry
Way too much multi-tasking going on here today.
Totally BLEW that one.

2.5 is DOABLE to be sure!!:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features