• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carls Cycle 900 ride report

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
price?

What are they charging for the 900? I didn't find much on their site. I had a 910 and it ripped, can't imagine it in 100lb lighter sled. It did have "head" issues though, tore it down quite a few times.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
If Im not mistaken the total 900 kit is 6800 bucks, give or take. I may be off just a bit. I cant seem to find my invoice.

If anyone has question about the 900 give them a call. Chris in performance will shoot you straight.

What I would say about the 900 is that it rips!!! lol

It has a power that is so smooth, all the way through from the bottom to the top. When you need all the motor has to offer from a complete stop, all you need to do is pinch it to the bars, and your at peak in a blink of an eye. Even when crusing a nice line in a technical tree riding at half open, and need WOT its there with no hesitation what so ever. The response of this motor is unbelievable. When you want to make a little longer pull, it has that as well. This motor with Carl's clutching will pull hard all day long. Carl's big bore motors are turly gas and go, I have had Carl's big bores in my sled since 09. They have gave me 1000's of trouble free miles. Carl's has a long long history of producing and testing there set up. IMO knowledge is on there side. If you are thinking a big bore is for you, this motor will not disapoint.

Last edited:
D
Dec 27, 2011
Carl's 900

Guys,
Took sled into Carl's and they said it was a sensor for temp. That is why it was running rich. Took it out again and still same issue. Finally got to talk to Jack and he suggested Power Values. Took them apart and sure enough they where both messed up from the install.
Also had to sand clutches after that due to the blow by from the power values.
It seems really snorty on the bottom but still getting beat on the top end by a stock 10' Pro. Should this be happening or am I still missing something here?
Hoping to ride with Jack soon try his 13' 900 side by side with mine.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Guys,
Took sled into Carl's and they said it was a sensor for temp. That is why it was running rich. Took it out again and still same issue. Finally got to talk to Jack and he suggested Power Values. Took them apart and sure enough they where both messed up from the install.
Also had to sand clutches after that due to the blow by from the power values.
It seems really snorty on the bottom but still getting beat on the top end by a stock 10' Pro. Should this be happening or am I still missing something here?
Hoping to ride with Jack soon try his 13' 900 side by side with mine.

What year of sled is your 900 in?
Did you do the install? or did Carl's?
How many miles on the new motor now?
Where is your fuel setting at?
Did you put after market reeds in? If So stick to stock...
What plugs are in your sled?
What range of Thermostat do you have?
Just tryen to help..

D
Dec 27, 2011
It is in a 12'
Carl's installed it
Stock reeds
No thermostat
I have about 200 miles on new motor
Fueling is whatever carls set it at
Thanks for the help

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
So is the sledding feeling good now but you are still concerned due to a drag race against a stocker?

Do you have Carl's clutching too?

AgentRmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Your 900 should be able to PULL a SLP Stage 4 or like motor set-up...
The bottom and mid range power is where the 900 shines:face-icon-small-coo...

Last edited:
S
Jan 27, 2008
SISTERS OREGON
In a drag race i'm smoking good runing pros by 10 sled length in the first 200' and by 800' about 12 sled length.But in the steep and deep is where it shines,i'm going over the top and stockers are geting stuck track poaching.The ride with Jack or Cris sounds like the ticket to me. good luck to ya

D
Feb 16, 2008
MONTANA
Longevity Question

Hey guys;
Im new to the big bore world and my main question is this: How long can I expect a big bore motor setup like carls 900 to last without doing major overhaul work to it? I have no problem spending the money on the initial install if I can plan on at least a few years of dependable riding... Any input would be appreciated thanks

ROCKNESTER

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
CHICO, CA
www.boondockersmovie.com
Hey guys;
Im new to the big bore world and my main question is this: How long can I expect a big bore motor setup like carls 900 to last without doing major overhaul work to it? I have no problem spending the money on the initial install if I can plan on at least a few years of dependable riding... Any input would be appreciated thanks

I picked up mine from Jack with a little under 700 miles on it. So far so good, this sled absolutely flat out gets with it. Very fun sled to be on. I've put about 400 miles on it so far this season, no problems. I'm not sure how far they'll go without at least a top end re-build... others on here may be able to answer that.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Jack recommends changing the pistons out at 1500 miles on the 900.

this is my 2nd big bore for me, the first was his 860. I put 3700 miles on it, replaced the pistons once. I did the complete motor from top to bottom is fall. You could see some signs of wear and tear in the bottom end at 3700, but not damage. I would say no more than 3000 before I would rebuild the bottom end. Carl's would be able to refear you a little better on that.

IMO Carl's big bore motors are gas and go! I have had zero problems with the 860, and I have no complants other than the grin on my face with the 450 miles I have on my 900 so far this yr!

Carl's can anwser your detailed questions, that way your gettin it straight from the horses mouth! Im just a rider!

AO has a link to Carl's on his posts.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
This is my gas and go monster! Hands down the funniest sleds I have ever rode!

Coming to a mountain near you!!!

picture.php

Last edited:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
More feedback...............

Hello,

Just wondering how the 900 kit is working for everyone(you, the customer)???:

Consistency???

How many miles???

Any fuel controllers other than PC5???

Performance gain??? - I'm not that concerned with actual numbers but would be interested to hear them if you have any - I'm more concerned with "on the snow" gains such as "Before I used to have to take at least 3 - 4 runs to get up this hill/chute in deep snow but now I can make it over in 1 attempt"

Thanks in advance,

Glen

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
That sucks. Not an option for me then. We ride from 3500 to 7500. I just don't want to be obligated to buy race gas and/or av gas. Oh well.

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.

Premium Features