• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo for a pro ride?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
justin

i didn't see it as negative, just to the point. that is how MH is. I don't think he is overly concern about ones self esteem. from what i read he was just looking for specifics and clarifications. nothing else, nothing more. if you are producing products, best get use to criticism. you're never going to make everyone happy. is a nice looking product. and if it performs as expected it should be a kick in the A. good luck

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yes I have ran the sled on boost, I installed one of the previous control boxes to it to do so. Only ran around 4psi of boost, just to ensure it would work.

Control is finished and should be in my hands in a few days. My machinest is building custom injector holders/rail that will adapt to the airbox.

We will be going to the dyno as soon as its all finished up. Estimating around 2 weeks.

We state prototype kit, as a few parts will be changed and modified to fit the chassis better. Kit will look identical to the one picture, except it will use a muffler, and there will be an intercooler upgrade availble. Also we are building wiring harness that will be a plug and play for all the electrical components for the turbo kit. Again this will be on the production kits.

Yes I will personally be testing all of the setups. We have a house rented in the mountains all winter long, so we are back and forth alot, we test all of our systems at many different elevations to suit everyones needs, not just in the mountains.

Why do you have make your post come on so negative about my products, you should be supporting it, we are keeping everyone informed of this new kit and thats what people what to hear. You always write positive post when its some other named product. Not trying to pick a fight just curious as you always second guess my stuff.

Justin Silbernagel

I didn't take it as negative...I just took it as questions.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Justin,

I'm sorry if it read that way.... not my intent.

I'm just trying to get as much info out there as possible. I think that the questions are relevant to the offerings.

I ask the same vein of questions to a lot of products here.

Sounds like you are working hard... we all benefit from that.

Keep us informed as you test further.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Justin,

I'm sorry if it read that way.... not my intent.

I'm just trying to get as much info out there as possible. I think that the questions are relevant to the offerings.

I ask the same vein of questions to a lot of products here.

Sounds like you are working hard... we all benefit from that.

Keep us informed as you test further.
Thanks MH,

I am doing my best to keep everyone informed as much as I can, just some stuff has to stay in shop until we fully release the kit.

Keep the questions coming.

Justin Silbernagel

B
Dec 13, 2007
Awesome looking kit!!! If I were to ever go the turbo route youd be the only guy i go with. I had the privelage of meeting you and seeing your work first hand last feb. in West Yellowstone at high-mark rentals. Keep up the good work!!!

N

nocandoo

Dec 11, 2007
whats the latest?

with the new sleds going out, how is progress coming along on the pro ride turbo scene?

Creek Chub

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Blackduck, Minnesota
Silber,

I am looking for a new ride for next season. The RMK Pro is one under consideration. I have virtually no info on Turbo's what advise can you give for one considering turbo? Just a few qestions. What can one expect for rebuild of the top end? What other parts fail to the added HP. If I do go turbo I would be looking at a pump gas turbo. As much info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
The Creek Chub.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Water-to-air intercooling. Not engine coolant-to-air intercooling, but a separate system chilled by snow and pumped to the intercooler is the future. One outfit has a head start on all the others. HM Turbos in Lolo, MT.
After looking at the various stages other kit makers are at. IMHO, the HM kit is light years ahead. The big part of the HM kit is that it uses an Aerocharger.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
4z thanks for the info.

No sweat.

I know this is a bold statement, but out of all the turbos I have ridden and tuned on I always like the simplicity, light weight and throttle response of the Aerocharger. But there was a down side for NW riding. A good test for a turbo set up is right here in the Cascades with heavy snow, steep, deep and thick trees. Not like you see on the vids. More on and off with heavy loads on the motor and drive train. It makes any weakness in the set up show quickly. The Aerocharger in these conditions (more so than the automotive style) was heat soak. The turbo would not be able to dissipate the heat enough and was sent into the motor with ever increasing hot charge air. However, this HM kit solves that. No matter how hard the situation was on the turbo, beat on it and beat on it, the intercooler was cool, consistent performance and never faded. Until now, the automotive style would perform better with having the oil sump cool the turbo but it didn't cool the air charge and added more overall weight to the sled.

But, you get what you pay for (as they say), the HM kit is roughly $1500 more than automotive style kits.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
From what I hear... there are some other Chilled water-to-air intercooler on the horizon from other vendors as well.

I agreee, this is the way to go.

On the Pro Ride RMK's however... It will not be as easy to install a Bulkhead/tunnel heat exchanger for the system.

This is different than on Curts-FTX RUSH mod build.. The PRO-Chassis RMK's do not have the Bulhead-tunnel heat exchanger installed and it is not like the previous model where you could remove/install one easily... The part on the PRO chassis, the exchanger itself, is integral to the chassis assembly.

Curts (FTX) RUSH Mod machine shows the heat exchanger.
proplateandbulkheadglues009.jpg

The PRO-RMK does not have this exchanger built in. :face-icon-small-dis
attachment.php

bulkhead.jpg

Last edited:

Creek Chub

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Blackduck, Minnesota
4Z, so would you say it is pretty accurate if I go with a turbo a good preventative messure each year top end rebuild,ie; pistons, rings and head gaskets? Or what mile interval should one rebuild the top end? What other things would you recommend to do to maintain reliability?

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
4Z, so would you say it is pretty accurate if I go with a turbo a good preventative messure each year top end rebuild,ie; pistons, rings and head gaskets? Or what mile interval should one rebuild the top end? What other things would you recommend to do to maintain reliability?

Keep an eye on your reed valves. Visual inspection on a regular basis. This is the weak link for all turbo two strokes. Whom ever comes up with a fix for that will be king!
Top end, you can yank plugs, do a dry then wet comp test to see where you're at for top end wear and then replace slugs accordingly.

Others may have better/more input. I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Premium Features