• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Secondary Maintenance Fix

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I just wanted to let people know some things I found related to my jackshaft/secondary when I rebuilt my sled last spring that might be helpful. I have a 2014 model chassis and I swapped out the tunnel/bulkhead for a 2017 MC (long story, plan to do a full write-up later). When I changed out the jackshaft for the 2015 unit, I noticed my clutch side bearing was going out with 1600 miles on it. Then when I was re-aligning my clutches I noticed that one of the washers that goes between the secondary and the jackshaft bearing was worn. A lot. It was a 0.030" shim washer and the clutch had worn into it by about 1/2 it's thickness. I was noticing some inconsistency with back shifting before this re-build. I'm guessing the combination of the worn bearing and the 0.015" wrong offset were causing the issues.

Just something simple to check for you guys with "old" sleds like me.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Send to Mountain Valley in CODY, WY

Get it machined, balanced and rebuilt. It will blow your mind how much better it works and will pull way harder. Better than the 16+

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Just the secondary I just got mine back from them last week

skibumsd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
I have a silber turbo on my 14 m8000. Is the machining process the same, or do they do a different setup since its turbo?

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
They machine the sheeves to match the angle of the belt and put a lighter spring in. Tell tom your running a turbo he'll get you set up

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If my clutch isn't shifting like I think it should after this then I might consider the machining. If it seems fine then it'll stay the way it is. Was working pretty good up to this point and I don't want to fix what isn't broke.

I also got to thinking that maybe that washer wearing out is related to the mysterious occasional loose secondary bolt. Either the washer wore and created slack for the bolt to loosen, or the bolt loosened up and wore the washer. Just something else to think about.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'd have to double check but the machining a new spring and shipping I want to say was 350ish. Also the clutch I sent in was brand new so nothing needed rebuilt

Last edited:
Premium Features