• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Iceage ELEVATE kit - interesting!!!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
That’s too bad I definitely won’t be buying the kit then. Front suspension drop mod or slightly longer shocks looks like the way I’ll be going

You could also possibly lift the front by a billet ski saddle that lifts the bolt location. Probably would be easier than dropping the suspension and lengthening the shocks.
Anyone sat an 18+ Cat next to and axys Or doo 850 and measures the differences in height of the bulkhead/bellypan, footwells and boards? I may have to do it when I get home today. Got an 18’ cat and axys in the trailer.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I think i may be the only snowmobiler that is not stuck on approach angle?
Approach angle only matters when ur stopped or traveling real slow.
A long time ago, i made a 96 MXZ in to a longtrack extra tall sled.
That thing couldn't keep 2 skis on the ground around any corner but it side hilled like a friggin champ, way before sidehilling was cool.
6 tooth drivers to fit the 2in paddles with jacked up suspension, it had a steep approach angle. It did great in the deep snow.

Sounds like the approach angle made that sled handle and steer terrible. Its like you went hypocritical or sumpin like that.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Sounds like the approach angle made that sled handle and steer terrible. Its like you went hypocritical or sumpin like that.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I have a hard time expressing myself.. lol
I loved the way that MXZ handled!
One ski on the trail is how i set up most of my sleds and i will still cruise at 60-70mph when conditions allow.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Newer snowcross spindles are taller than older years to get the front end up a bit more to keep the bottom of the bulkhead from bashing into the big moguls as hard. I don't think they are tipped back like the '16+ mtn ones though. Anyone else think the Ice Age spindles are rolled back at the bottom so the extra length puts the ski bolt on the snow close to the same spot as stock. Looking at the location of the lower ball joint mount, it's not centered on the mass of the spindle.

I think the rails are tipped up more in the front when they pushed the skid down. Keeps the approach angle shallower than if the rails were kept at the same angle.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
You could also possibly lift the front by a billet ski saddle that lifts the bolt location. Probably would be easier than dropping the suspension and lengthening the shocks.
Anyone sat an 18+ Cat next to and axys Or doo 850 and measures the differences in height of the bulkhead/bellypan, footwells and boards? I may have to do it when I get home today. Got an 18’ cat and axys in the trailer.

My worry with putting a 2" block under the stock spindle would be that it would increase the chances of bending it significantly. Especially as slender as it is.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Ok, so have my 18’ cat and 18’ axys in the trailer and measured height from the ground to the bulkhead and to the bottom of the foot well. Axys sits about 2” higher in front and about 1.5” at the footwell (front of running board). Cat measures about 10” at the bulkhead vs 12” for the axys. Cat measures about 10.5” vs 12” axys at front of running board. My guess this this will only make much, if any difference in deep powder.

F8E3F172-0183-4278-9289-0127BD3BCEAC.jpeg F74B199B-DD1D-4AEF-AC1B-D0EF2EDAFC54.jpeg 211D8A5B-DB6C-4FD7-B7D0-FCA00BA3FE6E.jpeg 9F3A6326-954A-4E6A-B8B6-027CF6CA5FC2.jpeg

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Makes a huge difference in deep snow. Difference between the pro and axys, in how they get through the snow, is huge.

Agreed! I can't ride Polaris right now until the quality comes back up but, the raised chassis Axys is amazing in the deep snow. I am kind of surprised it is the aftermarket bringing this and not Cat themselves. Certainly these changes could be made for a lot less $$ at the factory level, especially when selling mtn dedicated models.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
looking back at the M-series, and the old king cat and earlier chassis, its amazing the proclimb sits high as it does really. those old sleds were great in the pow for their day. AOA probably..

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Makes a huge difference in deep snow. Difference between the pro and axys, in how they get through the snow, is huge.

Someone should measure a pro. I bet the stock cat sits between the pro and axis. Also be nice if someone could get the same measurements from above on the ice age setup at the next show or maybe I can get Nick to disclose them.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Someone should measure a pro. I bet the stock cat sits between the pro and axis. Also be nice if someone could get the same measurements from above on the ice age setup at the next show or maybe I can get Nick to disclose them.

I have a 15’ pro at home in the garage. I’ll measure when I get home. I never really noticed my axys sits higher than my pro, but now that I think about it, it does bubble a ways.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Polaris had made a big deal about their "raised chassis". The biggest change from the PRO. That is what attracted me to the Axys, i just knew that change was gonna make me love that new sled.....
Sidehill even steeper slopes than the Pro....
I Still prefer the low rider Cat chassis however, i would really like to ride a "raised chassis" cat!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I went home last night and measured my 15’ Pro. You guys are right it is a bit lower than the axys. From the ground to the bulkhead about 10” . The front of the running board about the same, close to 10”. You have to remember too that these sleds are sitting on hard ground. On the snow the lugs will sink into the snow as well as the keel of the ski and make these measurements different for “on the snow measurements”. The cat having a 3” track and the pro 2.4” lug will change the measurements.

DBF22A83-DF09-4F1D-95D3-0DFC1F781189.jpeg DF024CFB-A13C-4E84-812C-8BF5DB58EF5B.jpeg

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Agreed! I can't ride Polaris right now until the quality comes back up but, the raised chassis Axys is amazing in the deep snow. I am kind of surprised it is the aftermarket bringing this and not Cat themselves. Certainly these changes could be made for a lot less $$ at the factory level, especially when selling mtn dedicated models.

I believe Polaris has a patent on the raised chassis. That could be one reason cat doesn’t do it.

Premium Features