• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Weeeelllllll, yeah, but noise doesn't = HP.

Your statement that loud pipes dont make more power is false to an extent. Twin pipes on any sled will make more power then any single pipe designed or that can be designed. The way you tune an exhaust is by its length and flow diameter. In order to make a single pipe that could perform as well as a twin pipe you would need to extend the length, most chassis dont allow enough room in order to do this. When you use only one pipe for each cylinder you dont need as much length to get the right tune. Before making remarks such as that maybe you should do a little more research.

Also running a turbo on pretty much any 2 stroke eliminates almost all room for a muffler that would be capable of doing anything. And if anyone would like to tell me my turbo doesn't make more power then there single piped quite sled, come ride with me.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yes it does. Doesn't it? My new shoe's help me run faster,jump higher and attract the female's.:face-icon-small-coo

do you have two or three stripes on the sides of you tennis shoes?

I have three, I'm fast.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I've ridden street bikes, offroad bikes, ATV and snowmobiles for over 30 years and while I'll admit I liked the sound of loud pipes when I was a teenager, they slowly became annoying to me for whatever reason. So, I've kept stock pipes or gone to quieter-than-stock replacements on all my toys over the years.

When I'm out in the mountains or in the parking lot and a loud bike or sled goes by, it really hits me what a negative impression I have of them. Same with a straight pipe harley or loud dual sport/supermoto on the street or in my neighborhood. I just don't have the patience for it anymore because, to me, even more than the annoying noise, it represents that the person could care less about everyone they are impacting (and that can be from a few people to hundreds of people if you ride a loud bike through a neighborhood). Yep, it just says a lot about the person. It comes back to good old fashioned manners. "Don't be rude." just like your mom taught you (or should have. ha.)

I wish more manufactures would make good performing exhaust sytems that were quieter. It can be done and we are seeing more and more. They often are a bit bulkier because volume is the easiest way to control sound so they can look a bit funny. They can be made to weigh the same or less than stock (pretty easy when replacing a steel stock exhaust). It's starting to happen because we are starting to buy them.

The loud pipes are getting more and more of a bad reputation, so when sales fall on those and sales pick up on quiet alternatives, that is when aftermarket manufactures will change. They are businesses, after all, and so will follow where the profits are. They are not going to change their business model because "it's the right thing to do". They will change it when we stop buying a product and buy another.

I really am not for any type of law (we have enough) but there are some on the books and bikes do get ticketed for disturbing the peace just like loud car stereos, or your neighbors loud music and party at midnight when you have to work the next morning. I support the enforcement of that law. As for out in the mountains, I'm hoping it won't come to that and that we'll police ourselves, but at the rate things are going, who knows. We just don't need the attention and if we are doing the right thing (no freakishly-loud exhaust, no litter, no trespassing or tearing up terrain), we'll have a lot fewer eyes on us.

I have loud exhaust on my Harley because some people cant seem to SEE ME, BUT THEY CAN HEAR ME. Its is for safety 100% for me, i wear ear plugs.

Many reports out there proving the "loud pipes save lives" think is not accurate. In what situation do you think a driver can hear your exhaust in time that it would keep them from making a mistake that would result in an accident? Especially since most bike accidents are when an oncoming driver turns left in front of you. Well, most are single vehicle involving high speed, reckless driving and or alchohol, but I digress. Loud pipes are not a safety item so it time riders stop using that as an excuse because it's not a fact. It came from a tongue in cheek T-shirt saying. Repeating the myth that they make you safer just doesn't cut it. If you want them just because you want them, it's OK to say so.

Last edited:
P
Feb 16, 2015
???

Ok, so reading these posts about loud exhausts really made me wonder if anyone really knows. I've read several times about "why is it ok for Harleys to be loud", when in fact it isn't ok for them to be. When a Harley comes out of the factory they are required to meet the 86 decibel level. If the people posting there supposed facts ever bought a new Harley they would know they are fairly quiet. It's only after that, the owners modify the exhaust themselves, and ultimately take the risk of being stopped and ticketed. As far as loud snowmobile exhaust, my kids and I ride, I live near a trail in northern Wisconsin, and I'm not experiencing the loud annoying sleds. I guess if I was living in an area where the modified sleds were a problem I would have a complaint, but I don't.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Loud Sleds in the West

The Federal Government law says snowmobile are regulated to "76 dB on the A scale" and that is what the MFR's make them stock. Not bad when you consider the power, reliability and performance.

We are conducting a mass experiment where individuals, left to their own honor system, are allowed to ride, as guests of the Federal Government, on federal land, at a nominal cost. The entertainment is beyond my wildest imagination and my family has enjoyed this for 47 years.

Why would we put this in jeopardy? Just to have a loud exhaust? At Mt Baker the feds use a noise meter to ticket riders of machines that have exhaust noise above an easy to reach standard. Then the statistics and fines are used by our enemies to say "See, they cannot be trusted to follow the law".

I want to be riding for a while longer as this is the best time of my life! To have a loud sled (or dirt bike) just runs contrary to all we as a sporting community want for the future riding access to areas, no matter how you personally feel about your "right" to a loud exhaust. As guests of the Federal Government you can be excluded at the stroke of a pen. Why do anything to empower those who seek to end the best thing we have going?

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I think its BS that these motorcycles can run around in big city's so loud they scare people as they wizz by vehicles but yet we snowmobilers are supposed to have their machines quieter than a lawnmower. Its stupid especially when ridden 99% of the time miles back into the mountains. We snowmobilers are just a small group of people so we are just picked on constantly IMO.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Maybe everybody should boycott every buisneses that sell these loud exhaust set ups and then we wont need this thread.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The Federal Government law says snowmobile are regulated to "76 dB on the A scale" and that is what the MFR's make them stock. Not bad when you consider the power, reliability and performance.

We are conducting a mass experiment where individuals, left to their own honor system, are allowed to ride, as guests of the Federal Government, on federal land, at a nominal cost. The entertainment is beyond my wildest imagination and my family has enjoyed this for 47 years.

Why would we put this in jeopardy? Just to have a loud exhaust? At Mt Baker the feds use a noise meter to ticket riders of machines that have exhaust noise above an easy to reach standard. Then the statistics and fines are used by our enemies to say "See, they cannot be trusted to follow the law".

I want to be riding for a while longer as this is the best time of my life! To have a loud sled (or dirt bike) just runs contrary to all we as a sporting community want for the future riding access to areas, no matter how you personally feel about your "right" to a loud exhaust. As guests of the Federal Government you can be excluded at the stroke of a pen. Why do anything to empower those who seek to end the best thing we have going?
I am not disagreeing but the phrase of "as guests of the federal government " bothers me.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
I will continue to run my GGB mountain can until the government physically removes it.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I used to like loud sleds. They do sound good. Now i cant hear $hit, and that wont change. Miss my hearing, choose wisely.

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
This should also be posted under "snow bikes" also. This weekend the parking lot was full of them and every bike had a modified exhaust. They were the loudest group leaving/entering the parking lot. I would asume that most of the snow bikers are coming from a moto-x back ground and dont think twice about there exhaust note.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Oh, we talk about it over in the snowbike forum section, too. The varied opinions, and split on the subject, seem to mirror those in the sled sections.

I, for one, want to figure out a way to make my snowbike quieter. I dislike loud exhaust on all vehicles and powersports machines and my days of modding exhaust or "paying for loud" are 20 years behind me.

Part of the extra noise, even on stock bikes, is the exhaust points up rather than down at the snow. Also, most of us run intakes that are opened up with no airbox, no foam filter, and only a pre-filter. A large amount of the sound is coming from the intakes. Definitely a problem that needs solved. Perhaps not much progress will be made there until a factory snowbike comes out where there is a total rework of the entire layout.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Gatekeeper

"I am not disagreeing but the phrase of "as guests of the federal government " bothers me."

I understand your statement. Maybe the word "gatekeeper", referring to the federal government, would be appropriate here. It is our collective land as a citizen group, however as it turns out, the Dept of the Interior dba the Forest Service has the keys to the lock.

I believe keeping noise in check is the one thing we can do better, as a group, to keep the lock open. Any individual with a louder machine than is legal hurts our chances of keeping things open. Maybe we would have more open areas if noise was not an issue. Noise is however an issue we, as a group, do have control of. Our noise output is something we as individuals control and make choices that affect the sport in general.

Last edited:

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
I don't think the loud can is the problem. It's how we use the loud can. How many of you go screamingly by cross country skiers/snowshoers and toss the right side up???? I have a super q on the 800 and hps on the 660. When I see non-motorized winter users, I either slow it down and quiet the sled down or I go the long way around them making sure they don't have to listen to my sleds.

Yes, you guys know who you are when it comes to tossing exhaust side up on a trail! You badasses, I wish I could ride like you, guess my 20 yrs on the snow just isn't cutting it!!!!!

I was with a buddy at Togwotee January of '08 that busted a drive shaft, had his sled up on the side, using my sled as a blizzard block. Waiting for the others to get back with straps and tools to haul his sled back; some dumbass/badass MOFO decided to "carve" on the trail EXHAUST side up around us on a white Rev. Really, do we all want to be that guy. All it takes is slowing down to lower the dB's when we come up to those that are enjoying the same mountains that we do on skis or shoes.

Last edited:

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Ok, so reading these posts about loud exhausts really made me wonder if anyone really knows. I've read several times about "why is it ok for Harleys to be loud", when in fact it isn't ok for them to be. When a Harley comes out of the factory they are required to meet the 86 decibel level. If the people posting there supposed facts ever bought a new Harley they would know they are fairly quiet. It's only after that, the owners modify the exhaust themselves, and ultimately take the risk of being stopped and ticketed. As far as loud snowmobile exhaust, my kids and I ride, I live near a trail in northern Wisconsin, and I'm not experiencing the loud annoying sleds. I guess if I was living in an area where the modified sleds were a problem I would have a complaint, but I don't.

I don't own a bike, but pretty sure crotch rockets and Harley's have loud exhaust is to let the 16 yr old girl next to them areletting her know there is a bike next to her while she's doing her make-up while texting and don't take my life cause you ain't paying attention. ****, better put my phone down a get off the forum cause I spilled the coffee while driving with the knee on the wheel in my company truck doing 96 cause the governor kicked in between Hoback Jct and Pinedale!

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
We pay taxes for that land to be preserved.. How many snowmobiles have you seen damage anything in the woods besides a tree here or there? More trees burn in fires yearly and are wasted bc of poor Forrest management than sleds will kill in a life time. We should be able to ride in wilderness area as well. What's 10-20 feet of snow w a sled on top hurt? Last time I checked didn't see a deer or elk at 7500 ft in the middle of January with 15 feet of snow?
Don't we all haul our lunch wrappers out etc ? I don't leave anything behind. Infact I take stuff out in spring or when I'm hunting. I love the woods and being able to sled the best terrain and challenges it brings.
Don't blow by skiers either. I wave or say " wow this view is good what a nice day 3 more ppl behind me enjoy!"
As for loud pipes who cares. It's like any other motor sport we all have our likes and what motors set ups etc. if some guys like the sound good for them others don't good for you. I sled bc I love it!

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I'm very surprised that manufacturers still produce loud cans. In today's environment your just asking for another riding area to be shut down with the loud echo...we are currently going through a closure of an area in SW Alberta Rockies with our government....it sucks to think the area I grew up riding will be shutdown to off road usage.....So my point is don't give them a reason to notice you.......

Last edited:
Premium Features