• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tunnel bag tools

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
I have a 17 163. I have never carried much for tools but recently mounted a pelican case to my tunnel and have plenty of extra room. I believe I should be carrying some select tools. Looking for recommendations on what I should have with me.

Thanks

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I use to bring all kinds of crap along with me. I have dialed it way back over the years. My tool kit now fits in a bag about the size of a normal shaving / overnight bag (5x8x2).
I have a ratcheting screw driver with the bits stored in the handle, including the common torx sizes.
3/8 ratchet, with one extension, and about 7-8 sockets.
Set of small common size wrenches.
Extending mirror, and extending magnet.
Multi Tool
Zip ties (GOOD, cold weather)
Some folded up rags to clean your hands with

Thats It!

The best thing you can do is go over your sled and just see what you would need to do things like adjust your track tension, tighten a loose shock or suspension mounting bolt, adjust the Toe-in, tight a ski bolt, tighten your handle bars. Just common stuff that might come loose and would be a quick easy fix if you had the correct tools with you.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
A small, yet relatively complete kit with basic tools is a great thing to have if you run into trouble on the mountain.

Here is something i try to do . . .

When i am working on the sled doing basic things in the garage, i use only those tools in the tool kit on the sled. If i don't have some necessary item in there, then i add it. Between myself and my riding buds, we usually have about anything needed to do basic repairs/adjustments out riding. This has been helpful too when we come across others who have had breakdowns and are less prepared. You would be surprised how many think a leatherman, and a few wrenches are all that is needed.

My tool kit is probably 5 lbs and fits inside a 3 x 3 x 9" (approx.) tool pouch, wrapped in plastic as I don't like to get them wet.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I forgot to mention the best tool..... Hose clamps! After I get the tools in my bag, what ever room is left i fill up with good quality (made in the USA) hose clamps, several sizes.
They can be used for so much more then clamping a hose. They are great for fixing several broken suspension parts.
This pic is from about 6yrs ago but this is one way to fix a broken rod end with a wrench and hose clamps. Rode the rest of the day with this repair.

Premium Features