• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: KMOD Gen II Coupling Suspension

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With the powdercoating removed, the Tri-Hub wheels and axle slid right into place.
It was a perfect fit, clearly machined to fit these rails exactly.
picture.php

picture.php

Adter everything is in place, and you have verified the rails are flat and parallel, go ahead and lock down all bolts.
picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Inserting rear arm upper cross shaft.
picture.php

picture.php

Installed rear idler wheels and lock collars, with shafter centered and equal amounts extending from both sides.
picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With the rear skid now fully assembled Kevin turned his attention to the mounting brackets that would support the skid in my Mytro.

He started at the back by removing the two large OEM drop brackets.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Notice the smile on his face.
Kevin is just a naturally happy guy who genuinely loves what he does!
Wish more people loved their work like this.

picture.php

With the OEM plate out, he prepares to install his new custom rear drop brackets.
picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

Prepped and ready for the new drop bracket to be installed.
picture.php

The OEM Bracket on the opposite site of the tunnel.
picture.php

By drilling the exact center to center in a bar, and mounting it to a sled, Keven was able to get the exact center to center from the front arm mounting to rear drop bracket.
Using a tape measure can be off just a bit and difficult to handle under a tunnel.
This system ensures he NAILS it every time for a perfect installation.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Rear drop brackets are both bolted and riveted into place.
picture.php

picture.php

Just before mounting the skid, Keven makes the final adjustments to it.
Sets the RAP (Rapid Ajusting Preload) on the Raptor dual rate coil spring.
picture.php

Measures the spring free length for proper preload.
picture.php

The FINAL SKID just before installation in the tunnel, a thing of beauty.
picture.php

Keven slides the slid into the track with a finese that comes from having performed this maneuver countless times!
picture.php

Lining up the front arm with the forward hole, sometimes requires a little "Foot Action" on the rear of the skid.
picture.php

This photo shows the difference in the OEM mounting point and the new mounting point (As seen with the brass colored bolt head)

Notice that it is 2 inches forward and 2 inches up.
But the internal track location remains the same relative to the tunnel and forward bulkhead/heat exchanger.

This change in location allows the KMOD suspension to achieve a closer to stock ride height in a long travel suspension.
This also puts the tip of the rails closer to the drive shaft to keep more track in the snow.

picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With the skid bolted into place, its time to adjust the rear track tension

picture.php

picture.php

A few twists of the bolt and the track tension comes right into line.

picture.php

And Nytrocity with her new Skid and Track in place waiting for final assembly on a few last components!

picture.php

Last edited:

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
I think you will really like that skid. I went with it last year after two years of reading and I don't regret it for a second. On top of a great product, Kevin's customer service is second to none. Every email and phone call has been answered and returned promptly and he has been willing to bend over backwards to accommodate shipping items to me in Canada.

Great product! Thanks Kevin

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Customer Service is everything in my book

No matter what you buy you WILL need service at some point, and when that time comes, THAT is when you find out the real quality of the product you purchased.

And I am here to say, KEVIN has been a DELIGHT to work with over the course of the summer.

If this customized suspension is anything less that "FABULOUS" I will be seriously disappointed. But after all my research and talking with many of his current customers I don't think I will be disappointed at all.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Keep an eye on those rails. We've had 4 sleds with powder coated rails and all 4 cracked. Just sayin.

M5

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
Some folks believe that the heat from the oven used to bake on the powdercoat embrittles the aluminum. If properly done, the heat in a baking oven should not come anywhere aluminum's critical hardening temperature. I'm currently in a welding engineering course and asked my professor this very question after seeing it brought up on here a few times. If 6061 T6 aluminum is being used to build these rails, then you should never have a problem. There are inferior grades of aluminum out there that is mostly recycled stuff with very coarse grain size in the material, but 6061 is treated and worked to be tough enough for the aircraft industry.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
dang...buy the time it took to read your thread i would have installed the skid twice over..lol..it looks good..so much is similar to the timbersled..im not sold on the raptors..hope ya get lots of snow to get the benefit of it...

Premium Features