• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Trail Tank High Capacity Fuel Tank

G
Mar 13, 2009
Western NY
Throw those thumb screws away and install snap fasteners.With the snaps it's just as easy if not easier than the stock fasteners to remove/install the cover.

I still install the nose cover with the tabs tucked in. You can trim the nose of the cover and tabs to get the cover to slide back farther.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I hear ya.

Thought it only fair that I finish the install/review according to their instructions before I begin modding it though!

The thumb screws work, but I would NOT consider them a good solution.

P

Pro116

Apr 19, 2008
I have a brand new Black trail tank in the package yet i bought this fall I will sell.I had two but only need one now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Make someone a good deal and I am sure you could sell it

Sent from my Apple iPhone 4S using the AVOW TapaTalk app.

T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
The hood gets easier to install the more it comes on and off. Mine was the same way. Seemed impossible to get it on the first time. After it coming on and off several times it slips on like stock, the only thing that takes more time is the thumb screws.

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Yes, i also think those thumb screws are a pain. i was actually disappointed they did not incorporate the stock twist screws for that kind of cash as those work really well. But anyway nice to have the extra volume.

I figues it may be tight due to the steering post relocator? Not sure as I didnt install my relocator, was on sled when I bought it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Took the sled out twice this week.
Once on Monday for a shake down ride and then again yesterday for a real ride.

Put about 45 miles on it yesterday in mixed terrain.

This Fuel Tank is BOTTOMLESS!
I don't think I really understood what a couple extra gallons could mean to a day of fun in the sun.

That extra bit of gas allowed me to arrive at the fun zone with a "Full Tank" of gas as compared to having already burned off a couple gallons and been down a quarter of a tank on the OEM tank.

With a supercharged sled I am sure this was the right route to go. I KNOW I am going to burn the extra fuel because I now HAVE IT TO BURN!

And it was very nice arriving back at the trailer with gas to spare, knowing full well that had the weather been a little bit nicer I COULD have stayed up on top of the mountain for another 2 hours playing in the deep snow and NOT WORRYING about running out of fuel or seeing the dreaded yellow light come on.

Other than the thumb screw attaching system, I have nothing negative to say about this fuel tank at all.

OEM Tank = 7.4 Gallons.
Trail Tank = 10.1 Gallons
Net Extra Fuel = + 2.7 gallons or 36% more gas.

Its going to add about 19lbs to your starting weight when you climb on to a full sled, but for me that first 2 gallons will be GONE by the time I arrive at the play zone where I am headed to from the trailer. that gives me a full OEM tank to start with the moment I get there.

I AM LOVING IT so far.

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
If you run the stock radiator you may want to shim it forward at the top bolts with a washer or two. The tank can interfere with the fan blades if it slides to far forward. I ran mine for almost a year before it started interfering with the fan.

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/grizztracks/Nytro trail tank snap fasteners/

Same thing happened to me. Right out of the blue and didn't even smuck anything. Ended up doing the washer thing also. Tank started pushing throttle cable against fan blade.

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
These three photos from post #35 is what its all about now.

xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=23267.pagespeed.ic.YDWdj7N_ix.jpg

xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=23268.pagespeed.ic.5BWFWO_n_D.jpg

DID IT MOVE BACKWARDS AT SOME POINT without me noticing it during the installation???
xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=23275.pagespeed.ic.gJZ9UajBko.jpg

First Trail Tank I had fit terrible. I had tried filing the lower portion of tank where the two nut flanges rest at back of tank :nono: .Needless to say It Leaked.

Last edited:
T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks those two nuts at the back of the tank are a nightmare to get started? I dread taking the tank off knowing that I have to wrestle with those nuts again...

I need to track down some of these

Collar Nuts.jpg

Last edited:
S
Sep 13, 2010
vent tube

hi there.....the extra vent hose is because the hose has a loop down then back up) on the right side to reduce fuel from going through vent hose. used to be an old mx thing.

i installed my trail tank last year and love it but, be sure to loosen hoop, shim out the rad, turn plug caps for max clearance, CHANGE THE PLUGS AT SAME TIME (just in case, thumb screws are a pain in the azz, fit and finish is not typical for yamaha but way better than my last sled factory components.

ps... i am thing of installing OFT post relocator but wondering what it looks like installed with hood dash etc..... could you show this with your tank install (please)

pss... amazing thread!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The OFT fits and looks just fine.
Been running it on my sled for a couple seasons now.
Look for my thread on the OFT Steering relocator for photos.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FOLLOW UP COMMENTS

In the summer of 2012 I removed my Trail Tank to do some work on my sled.

I took the tank out and let it sit on the floor all summer with fuel in it.
This was careless of me!

The wings expanded by perhaps 0.25 inches.
Just enough that I noticed it when I went to install it again.

I Called TrailTank, explained what I had done and what had happened. and they offered to swap it out for me sight unseen.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
New Tank just arrived.

Did a super quick fit test.

Drops right into place.

While it fit well before, it fits EASILY now.

No tension on any fittings, just drops directly into place with no coaxing at all.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This evening I did the final install and got to see some of the MINOR changes they made that made a BIG DIFFERENCE.

While I did NOT take measurements, it is clear to me that they have REDUCED the size of the tank, not by a lot, but just enough that it fits BETTER than it did before. They reduced the size of the core of the tank were it rests against the hoop frame, just enough that it no longer touches the hoop!!

While that might not sound like much, its fits REALLY nice now!.
No longer requires any nudging or tapping to push it forward and lock it into place. a Quarter inch here and there has made it much easier to slide into place and install.

Photos next.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Installed just sitting in place.
picture.php

With only thumb pressure, this is how easily it now slides forward into position. Last time I had to "whack" it several times with a rubber mallet to get it into the position I wanted it. It is a significantly easier install now.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looking DOWN at the wings from the top of the frame hoop you can see that the wings NO longer touch the hoop!! There is NO interference at all any more. I consider that a big improvement as far as installation goes.
Compare that to my previous photos from a year ago.

Rider's Right Side
picture.php

Rider's Left Side.
picture.php

Premium Features