• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Link Radios

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
So I'm stealing a little bit of Big Nasty's thunder here but I think he'll forgive me, the pics attached are from him. He sent them to me a couple days ago, yup, that's him, caught up in one of those nasty tree wells. To make it worse his one foot was pinned on top of the running board and the other one underneath the track! All he had to keep himself from falling backwards down the well was by hanging onto the sled. He recently purchased one of the BCA radio's, with the mike right on the shoulder strap. In this instance he was able to still hang onto the sled with one hand and use the mike with the other, rescue on the way!

After hearing his story and doing a little bit of reading on the radio, I now have one as well and must say it worked like a hot dam today up on the hill! Not just the "save my life" scenario, but just for keeping in touch with your sled buddies, getting unstuck or whatever, they sure work slick. I still carry my Rino but, its usually stuffed in my pack or a pocket and is just not as easy to use as the BCA. When you see the money sledder's put into their ride, such as wraps, new bumpers, helmet cams and other fancy schmancy stuff, there isn't anything more valuable or worth the coin than one of these little radios, cats sphincter!! Thanks BN !!

BigNasty5.jpg BigNasty6.jpg

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
My wife got me a pair of these for my birthday last month, and they have been awesome. I like to take a lot of people new to snowmobiling out, and its nice to be able to show them how to use it real quick and know where they are or what's going on if I lose sight of them. I also have a Rino 650 and 655t that i will turn on and throw in a backback, just to be able to poll locations, but the BCA radios are easy, and make communication much easier than digging the rino out.

Michelle at Oregon trail sports had an awesome price on the pair of them too.

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
This is the second season using ours! I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! I can hear it while I am riding and don't have to stop to take a radio out of my pack or sled. I recommend that everyone get one! :face-icon-small-hap

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
I bought a pair this year, and they are great. The accidental channel switch is lame but other than that I really like them. Has made riding much easier. I can't hear mine while riding but I can hear the beep that lets me know someone is talking. I'm currently looking for helmet speakers that will work with it.

I think they're invaluable and I've only used them 4 times.

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
The accidental channel switch is lame.

My boyfriend used electrical tape to keep the dial on the setting we chose which has worked wonderfully so far. He just wrapped it a couple of times around the whole mike. But I agree, if there were going to make any improvements, they should make it harder to accidentally change the channels.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Do these have any settings that would allow them to work with the Rihnos? Eric

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa

I read somewhere that they do work with them. I think Mountainhorse did some testing with them.... May be someone else, but I swear I read it somewhere. Think Rhino had reportedly better range, bca was simpler to operate radio wise. Going off of memory (what's left)...

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Several of my riding buddies bought these this year and they work great!!! I've run the Garmin Rino for a couple years and that works great too but......having communications right on your chest, is awesome!!! It's quick, it's easy, there cheap and they work!! What's not to like!

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
They are ok! Over priced in my opinion. One can achieve the same thing for much cheaper.
Baofeng BF-F9 V2+ 8 watt vhf & uhf radio with speaker mic for roughly $65
Or go with a 5watt version with speaker mic for under $40

I have mine wired to helmet speakers and mic with a push to talk button on my avy vest.No need to stop while talking.

Last edited:

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID

I don't know about Rhino's but I have a pair of inexpensive Midlands that I also use when extras come along. Can't use the privacy sub channels but they work on the regular channels.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
My boyfriend used electrical tape to keep the dial on the setting we chose which has worked wonderfully so far. He just wrapped it a couple of times around the whole mike. But I agree, if there were going to make any improvements, they should make it harder to accidentally change the channels.

I program ABC to be the same channel then just try and check it regularly. I should try the tape though.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Not sure why people spend 200 bucks on a frs/gmrs radio witha shoulder mic. Its way over priced. If your gonna spend 200 u might as well get a true VHF radio with a shoulder mic. You can get a good japanese radio for 300 bucks or buy a chinese Baofeng for 85 bucks. Both are miles ahead of the BCA link.

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
Not sure why people spend 200 bucks on a frs/gmrs radio witha shoulder mic. Its way over priced. If your gonna spend 200 u might as well get a true VHF radio with a shoulder mic. You can get a good japanese radio for 300 bucks or buy a chinese Baofeng for 85 bucks. Both are miles ahead of the BCA link.

Who is paying $200 for these? Mine were half that.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD

One of my buddy's figured out how to lock the channels. I will have to ask him the trick.

These radios are worth every penny!!

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I paid $25 bucks for a Baofeng Radio this week and another $22 for a helmet mic with speakers and a PTT switch that I mount onto AVI vest. Much better capability and ability to program SAR/Sheriff/EMT/Flight for Life frequencies.

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
Radios

I have the Baofung/Pofung GT-5 radio. For sure it has more range but then you shouldn't be further than a half km from your partner sledding anyways! I also found the BCA much easier to program and in general just more user friendly. As far as money goes, ya, it can be pricey up here in Canuck Land but so be it, can't put a price on the safety factor. Can you get the same job done with the Baofung, probably, but then sameo with the Rino, which also has way more range than the BCA. Personal preference I guess................

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We had Motorola Talkabouts for a long time.
I think it was the 7400 model. Cheap.
Throat mics and an ear bud are perfect.
The ear buds also act as eat plugs, by default.
They have a ptt button wire that goes down your sleeve into your glove.

It was a slick set up.

Last edited:

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
I read somewhere that they do work with them. I think Mountainhorse did some testing with them.... May be someone else, but I swear I read it somewhere. Think Rhino had reportedly better range, bca was simpler to operate radio wise. Going off of memory (what's left)...

1/2 of our group runs with Garmins. We communicate fine with them, they just cannot see us on their maps, but radio communication is just the same. I agree with range, but the Garmins don't go much farther.

One of my buddy's figured out how to lock the channels. I will have to ask him the trick.

These radios are worth every penny!!

Oh yes! Please share :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
Premium Features