• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Mountain Max

Y

yamaha3

Sep 30, 2009
Spearfish, SD
I had this thread in the yamaha boosted section but I figured that alot of you guys might not jump over to that since you probably dont have a boosted sled.

I have seen other threads on here and on other sites that people are wondering if this is possible. Based on other threads and things that I have heard it is possible. I have heard that Dan Richter had a turbo mtn max in thunderstruck 3 and one of the earlier mountain mod mania videos, i personally have not seen any of them. Everyone on these other threads have said that they are going to do it and have already started, yet they cannot seem to post a picture.

Earlier this summer I decided that I was going to try it, so I started finding the pieces I was going to need. I mounted the turbo right off of the manifold where the three ports go into one. From there

Turbo - off of a 2002 Subaru WRX. (TD04 13G)
Intercooler - top mount off of a WRX
Exhaust - pipe done by myself ran into an SLP can
Intercooling piping - I pieced everything together (turbo to intercooler and also the piping I ran for the fresh air.

As far as jetting what I have read from other people that have turboed carbureted 2 strokes they use power jets. I havent quite figured out what I am going to do. More than likely I am going to use the power jets. I am also looking at different options that I have for fuel pumps.

The turbo is liquid cooled so I am going to tie that in with the coolant lines. I am thinking that I will take the carb warmers out since I have never used them and I will use those lines to do the cooling.

Now the trickiest part of the whole thing besides tuning will be oiling the turbo. I will have to have a catch can and a pump to get the oil to the turbo and it will be gravity flow back to the can. I have talked to some buddies that know turbos and they said an option that I might have is since that a subaru turbo is ball bearing I might be able to cap the drain off and fill the turbo with a good synthetic oil and then cap the top off and not even run a pump. They said I could probably get away with this
because it is liquid cooled. I was thinking about doing this for test puposes because if it doesnt work I would rather not have a pump laying around that is about $250.

I am hoping to be able to run it in a couple weeks as I am still waiting for a few things to get here.

Let me know what you guys think. Like I said this is all basically an experiment. I know that it is possible to turbo a carbureted 2 stroke so I thought that I would try it since no one else has posted any pictures or info on how they did it. I personally think it would be an accomplishment for myself and the people that have helped me.

Here are some turbo pictures

DSCF0867.jpg

Basically everything is plumbed that I will need with the exception of a few things.

DSCF0868.jpg

This is a little better angle.

DSCF0866.jpg

Here is a few pictures of the sled.

2000 Mountain Max. 700. Polaris skid. 151. SLP can. 10" risers. Fly sno-x bars. nytro skis. dirtbike seat(i made the mount). 2 wheel kit that i made. metal front bumber(broke the plastic one on a tree so i made this one). Excuse the trailing arms(going to get new ones but i had to fix these last year a couple times)

DSCF0871.jpg

DSCF0860.jpg

DSCF0861.jpg

DSCF0862.jpg

DSCF0863.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Any suggestions or advice would help.

Thanks

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
take the 13g and throw it in the trash.. that thing is gonna burn down in like 5 minutes, the thing is WAY to small.

not sure how the whole no pipe deal is gonna work out for you.. i see major issues with that system on a 2 stroke. also,dont use sewer connectors for your charge tube, they fail very quickly.

Y

yamaha3

Sep 30, 2009
Spearfish, SD
I guess i dont see how the 13g is too small. I believe that anything bigger it will take way to long to spool and by the time i hit boost i will be out of RPM. I understand i still have to do some plumbing for the liquid cooling. the pipe from intercooler to carbs. as far as the charge pipes go i will see how it works and like i said this is just an expiriment. i dont know if this is going to work or not so as far as the money i am putting into it isnt a whole lot. as is sits now i have around 100 bucks, with turbo and intercooler.

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
not to bum you out but i bet your going to have to move the turbo to the end of the stock pipe and I've been told the triples need a large turbo just because of the volume of air they move compared to a twin but I think Gus from the skidoo section has turbo a yamaha mm in the past so might shoot him a pm but I always wonted to do this love the triples good luck

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah.... a 16g the 13g's bigger brother is to small for an 800 twin.. an 800 tripple is gonna need WAY more air.. i doubt you would put anything to big on there.

the td04 turbine side is way to tight and gonna create way to much backpressure/heat and your gonna be heavily invested in pistons.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
That is cool but I bet your going to have to put the turbo @ the end. The engine may not run right. You can use a stock pipe. You might need to take off 1/2" (could be more) at the beginning of the pipe and add 1/2" to the end of the pipe. It is a 2 stroke and requires the reverberation to run right. JMHO Cool sled for sure! Good luck

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Kudos for at least making an attempt. Now get a bigger turbo and mount it at the end of the stock pipe You wont need that can when you all done either.
Your most time consuming thing will be building the airbox to connect your intercooler to the carbs. Good luck! I am sure it will be a learning process.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
Kuddos on the attempt.

As stated above. The big issue i see is that a 2 stroke requires the expansion chamber in the pipe. A couple friends of mine ran the old V-max 600's with turbos. They tried the 700's but keep sucking reeds. But all of them were attached after the stock pipe inplace of the can.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
That's the first thing I noticed about that too....there are not expansion chambers in the pipes. 2 strokes MUST HAVE THOSE!!!!

The 2nd thing I noticed was the black sewer pipe. LOL. I don't think that's a good idea.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
That is cool as hell. I've been wanting to do that to my old Max--I actually kept it just to turbo it someday.

Agree w/ other posts, going to need the pipe to get it to run correctly, but it would still be interesting to see how it does. Really interested in what you find out about capping the turbo oil lines, sure would make the project simple, and how long the pistons will last w/ that size of turbo. I've got a freebie Subaru turbo sitting in my basement that I started to mock up for my Yamaha.

What are you doing for the air box? The steering post and how it comes around the carbs makes it a little akward. I was thinking of running tubes or intake runners together instead of a box (check out Boondockers new torque building air box--I knew it was a good idea :) )

Keep us posted.

Y

yamaha3

Sep 30, 2009
Spearfish, SD
That is cool as hell. I've been wanting to do that to my old Max--I actually kept it just to turbo it someday.

Agree w/ other posts, going to need the pipe to get it to run correctly, but it would still be interesting to see how it does. Really interested in what you find out about capping the turbo oil lines, sure would make the project simple, and how long the pistons will last w/ that size of turbo. I've got a freebie Subaru turbo sitting in my basement that I started to mock up for my Yamaha.

What are you doing for the air box? The steering post and how it comes around the carbs makes it a little akward. I was thinking of running tubes or intake runners together instead of a box (check out Boondockers new torque building air box--I knew it was a good idea :) )

Keep us posted.

the intercooler that you see is the air box. fresh air comes on from the tube off of the left tube(opposite of the exhaust). All i have to do is run pipe from the bottom side to each carb. I dont have any problems with the steering column because of how the intercooler sits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjFOOG1WYws

Wanted so share this video. Originally when i got the idea i was going to put it in place of the can. i figured there was alot more room there. then i found this video, so it made me think that maybe that would be a better place to put it. I guess now it just makes me wonder. I just thought that i would make the attempt because i do have another mtn max if something does happen to this and it is down for a couple weeks to rebuild it.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
All i have to do is run pipe from the bottom side to each carb. I dont have any problems with the steering column because of how the intercooler sits.

Then what the ---- are you doing sitting here typing!!

I want to see how this thing runs. You can get the slides to close and stop the run-on by grabbing the breaks, if all else fails, hit the kill switch. Boost reference the carbs later and then deal w/ the fuel pump and oiling. You should be able to give a quick pull before it starts to run out of fuel and if it doesn't start to have fuel issues, you know you are going to have to move the turbo because you aren't gaining any substantial air movement drawing the fuel out of the carbs. That's how I was going to test mine; really have no idea if that would work. Sure would stop the suspense and you do have a backup. Make sure you get a video of the first start up and test run for us.

Turbo Max would be the best thing since sliced bread. My T-XP would be down the line or a parts donor.

Y

yamaha3

Sep 30, 2009
Spearfish, SD
I know i need to get it going. I have been trying to just work on it as much as i can after work. the turbo srx is pretty cool. I was just going to do the oil that way to test it but im thinking that if it would work i would just keep it that way.

What do you think about keeping the turbo in that spot? the polaris that i posted up is running. there is another video of him riding it in a parking lot. You think that if it wasnt going to run right it would've burnt down long before the videos would have been made.

I know alot of people are concerned about the connectors on the turbo (mostly on the charge pipe) I have seen guys run stuff that makes these look like gold. ha. and those are holding up to 14-16 pounds of boost. this will be somewhere around 7 because of where the stock wastegate is set. I will have to run a boost gauge and watch for boost leaks.

As far as the carbs go do you think that the power jets would do what i need? because i have no idea where i would even start the baseline jetting.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
The burndown I don't believe will be caused by turbo location, but turbo size. Definitely not my strong point as far as turbo sizing, I do know that I rigged together a can one time, and too much back pressure was not good. The pistons took some serious heat damage. I really don't know what your baseline jetting should be, I can't even remember what I have in my 700, but the powerjets will give you adjustment to get more fuel for the turbo demands. W/ my t-XP, I have 360 mains/vs 480 stock but it also eliminates the DPM in the Skidoo.

Y

yamaha3

Sep 30, 2009
Spearfish, SD
I honestly dont think that the turbo that i am using is too small. I have talked to some guys that know the yamahas and they said that something around this size should work. you obviously dont want to go too big or else by the time it spools you will be out of rpm as i said earlier. i guess we will have to see i guess.

I did however plan to have the first start up and ride on video. then if something does happen i can at least say i tried. you should get going on yours too.

How big is the subaru turbo you have?

M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
Believe it or not I supercharged one of these sleds. I didnt have much for issues with the carbs at all. I kept blowing out reeds so I actually run it with out them at all. I drove an Eaton M45 supercharger of a Mercedes sports car off the rewind side of engine and run around 9psi but had issues keeping any back pressure with the short duration the exhaust valve was actually closed. I built adjustable bolts in after the expansion chamber to hold back pressure but ended up splitting the welds the pipe. I put about 1200km on this unit with no major issues.The bottom end was awesome but it would fall flat on top and I tried everything short of custom cylinders or fancy power valves. Neat project, did more math that year than all the way through high school. I will try to dig up some pics, it was around 2004. Good luck with your project though.
Shad

Last edited:
Premium Features