• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone wish they didn't go to a narrow front end?

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
Debating going with a 36" front end, anyone notice any down sides to it, other than the obvious trail manners. I know most people, after spending that kind of money will say it's the greatest thing ever just to justify spending the dough, but anyone want to give an honest review?

Do you notice if your sled panels out easier on a sidehill?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I had the K-Mod 37” kit on my 16. I loved it! More fun and easier to ride. Still had great trail manners too. Ran stock shock length as well.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I think I prefer the wider front vs the 36” when the snow sucks... but narrow really is the cats hat when its good, definitely much easier to ride.

I wouldnt be concerned about paneling out with an Axys, its tough to make one panel out when you want it to. Funny how in the trees with a Pro you could flop the thing over and slide down the hill, with the Axys you have to pretty much point the front end down to go down unless its silly

Also agree with the above, I love my Kmod front, seems to be the best of both worlds. Nice quality and bolts right up, highly recommend.

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
I know what ya mean, these things hold a sidehill on some really steep stuff. Guess I'm just going to have to pull the trigger and see how it goes, Looking at the Trenchers 36" kit which looks like a decent kit for the money. I really like the way the sled handles with the stock setup, but like anyone I'm always looking to make it better.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I wont go back after going 37, yes it is harder to handle fast down the trail but the sled was not made for the trail. The longer the track, the more push you have, the more noticeable. Even with that I love it, even removed my swaybar 3/4 of the way through last season.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I wont go back after going 37, yes it is harder to handle fast down the trail but the sled was not made for the trail. The longer the track, the more push you have, the more noticeable. Even with that I love it, even removed my swaybar 3/4 of the way through last season.

I have KMOD 37" on my '14 Pro-RMK 163 with Mohawk skis w 4" carbides, and it does push a bit in the turns. The Mohawks push far less than the grippers did when I had them on the sled. I also have the KMOD 37" on my '16 Pro-RMK 163 but went with Powder Pros and 4" carbides. It doesn't push much at all, in fact I have to watch my speed in the turns as I'm usually lifting the inside ski. The Powder Pros do track/hunt more than the Mohawks but it is what it is.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Agreed there is few things that change it all.. I ran the C&A BD skis and the track crazy well, helped a lot compared to the grippers.

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
I went back down to a 155 from the 163 on my old sled, so push isn't an issue and I'm not really concerned about on trail handling either. I bet the sway bar removal makes a huge difference with a narrow front end though hey?

homeboy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2003
Chehalis
zbroz 36in a-arms

Just put up a complete Zbroz Racing 36" a-arm kit with upper and lower ball joints installed and a set of Exit X-1 shocks for the 36" for sale in swap meet that fit the Axys if your interested they have about 800 miles on them

thanks

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Not a concern IMO. The axys Maneuvers more on body position then leading hard into the hill. Also 36" is on the narrow setting you can adjust them to 38" if you choose. I run mine on 37,38 when snow is powder. 36 in spring snow

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I LOVE my 2013 Pro at 37".

I LOVED the 2019 Axys at 37". Can't wait to move the bushings out on mine to squeeze that down to 36".

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I think tree’s between 6k and 10k feet come with a standard 36” width between the trunks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still a problem then since 36" is center to center of the skis =)

On the topic, I got to compare the two fronts in April, got right off the 155" SKS 850 and on to the 155" ProRMK 850 and I would definitely chose the narrower front. The new narrow front was super nice!

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Hated my Pro when I first switched to the new chassis - everyone said the pro was so easy to ride, I couldn't ride it anywhere near as well as my Edge or King Cat Chassis. Put on the KMOD and loved the sled. When I upgraded to the Axys, I rode it one year stock. Felt a lot better than the Pro stock, but not as good as the Pro with the 37". Put the offset spindles on the Axys and loved it even more. Narrow it, you won't be dissapointed.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I too, jumped into the 37" front end set up [Courtesy of Z-Bros]. Looking forward to riding it - which will come along after a day or two of falling off/over ;-)

By the sounds of things we won't be disappointed !

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I think I prefer the wider front vs the 36” when the snow sucks... but narrow really is the cats hat when its good, definitely much easier to ride.

I wouldnt be concerned about paneling out with an Axys, its tough to make one panel out when you want it to. Funny how in the trees with a Pro you could flop the thing over and slide down the hill, with the Axys you have to pretty much point the front end down to go down unless its silly

Also agree with the above, I love my Kmod front, seems to be the best of both worlds. Nice quality and bolts right up, highly recommend.
I felt the complete opposite. I smoked an a-arm and a buddy had a 36” on the shelf or I could wait a week to order a standard. Already had float 3’s on it. I defiantly had my reservations. I don’t really notice it in deep powdery snow but every other situation it’s WAY better honestly I think the sh!ttier the snow the more it’s a benifits. Still have stock on the wife’s sled and jumping back and forth between them I wont ever go back to wider on a mountian sled.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I took my Axys from 39 to 38 last spring just for the heck of it (getting old thought it would be easier to ride). After running down several rutted out do or die chutes and getting seriously bent out of shape a few times I vowed to never go narrow again. Here in Nevada we only see powder a few times a season, don't worry much about powder handling, everything is easy to ride in the pow. In my opinion the Axys has far to much roll to ever think about going narrower, I nearly highside several time a day at 39. I think Polaris went ultra narrow in an effort to maintain the flickability they are famous for. The 850 will have more rotating mass and their flickability would have been lost so they went ultra narrow in an effort to compensate. I feel the 850 is going to be one scary road runner, and we all have to ride a certain amount of trails.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I took my Axys from 39 to 38 last spring just for the heck of it (getting old thought it would be easier to ride). After running down several rutted out do or die chutes and getting seriously bent out of shape a few times I vowed to never go narrow again. Here in Nevada we only see powder a few times a season, don't worry much about powder handling, everything is easy to ride in the pow. In my opinion the Axys has far to much roll to ever think about going narrower, I nearly highside several time a day at 39. I think Polaris went ultra narrow in an effort to maintain the flickability they are famous for. The 850 will have more rotating mass and their flickability would have been lost so they went ultra narrow in an effort to compensate. I feel the 850 is going to be one scary road runner, and we all have to ride a certain amount of trails.

Sounds like you need a SBA for your riding conditions.
And riding style.

I went 36” on my old 11 pro rmk and hated it.

Been running 39” ever since. (13 pro then axys)

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
IMO, it boils down to a rider's ability and style. If the wrong foot forward stance is your style and you can do it as easy a chewing gum, then you'll LOVE a narrower stance.

If you tend to keep both skis planted a use your body weight in a lean in hopes to make it around that ravine, you'll hate a narrower stance.

A narrow front sled will easily peel off a side hill with set up snow, unless you've got it tipped up. It's definitely more of a workout when the snow ain't fluffy.

I'm a narrow stance guy. Had a 36" on my '12 and have offset spindles on my Axys.

Premium Features