• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CMX track for timbersled

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Pulled the trigger on the new CMX track this morning. Mark said it should be at my house by Friday ��. I am going to put this track on my 16 timber sled kit. 137 inch. Obviously I will half to cut some notches for the chain. I’m just wondering what the best tool would be for this? Anyone have any experience?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Hmm...I have been kind of wanting one of those for my dirtbike tires. I wonder how wide the tip is. I could use a bandsaw and cut two vertical cuts and then use that for the horizontal cut if it’s not too wide possibly.

M
Jan 14, 2004
The knobby cutting tool is the right idea. You can buy soldering irons in all different wattages for pretty cheap. I bought a big one for my sons girlfriend she makes leather stuff and has a custom stamp. It was pretty cheap. Check out HF pick up a 120 watt or so and make a custom tip for it.

I'm going to put that track on my TS as well just deciding on 137 or 129, I'm leaning towards the 137 because I already have 137 Iceage rails.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
M5, thanks. I will try to swing by Harbor freight today and see what they have. I also wanted to ask you about changing bearings. Three years on my kit and I haven’t touched them! I am pretty much going to be disassembling my kit since I need to straighten one of the panels as well as change the track so figured I might as well do the bearings. I should change all four right? In an earlier thread you were talking SKF bearings. https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422288&highlight=Bearings
Is this still your recommendation?

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
That knobby cutting tool is garbage on tracks I bought one and couldn’t do jack with it. What works the best is a utility blade or razor blades by far. I’ve done tons of lug cutting and this is 100% 5e best. The knob cutter didn’t work at all and good luck getting straight cuts

I normally use utility blades and a vice grip. Now I have a heavy belting cutter that is basically an oversized orange box cutter with snap off blade sections

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
93ffe26a8d24a948f948ed8d7d44cb26.jpg

12” wide convex 155x3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
use a torch to get the blade hot.... thats the key! less elbow grease needed that way. ive cut a lot of rubber, and plastics in weird places with a razor sharp blade and a little heat, or a lot of heat even.

whats this CMX track worth? is it a lot of work to get it on a yeti kit? ive heard nothing but bad things about the maxtrack on the yeti and nothing but good things on the cmx track... I want one!!!

M
Jan 14, 2004
M5, thanks. I will try to swing by Harbor freight today and see what they have. I also wanted to ask you about changing bearings. Three years on my kit and I haven’t touched them! I am pretty much going to be disassembling my kit since I need to straighten one of the panels as well as change the track so figured I might as well do the bearings. I should change all four right? In an earlier thread you were talking SKF bearings. https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422288&highlight=Bearings
Is this still your recommendation?

I've had good luck with the SKFs and that is what TS finally switched to, there are other good bearings out there as well. Change every bearing if they all have 3 seasons on them even the ones in the wheels at the rear of the skid. Its time.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Easy

Well, ordered my track on Wednesday morning and it was here this afternoon when I got home from work (Friday). Stoked! Not sure why I was worried about trimming it for the chain groove. I just used a utility knife and razor blade. No heat, same blade, took about a half an hour. Easy. Had to go a little deeper on the CMX track than the Timbersled track because the lugs are taller (hell ya!). Lugs on the outside edge of the timber sled track is about 1 3/4 inch. The CMX track is 2 1/4 inches. Definitely a lot more meat on the CMX track.
I tried to post pictures but it wants me to resize them and I don’t know how to do that on my iphone. Hopefully it’s because they’re updating the site and it gets done soon. Braaap!

Premium Features