• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best skis for the Axys ??????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Alright it's been a little slow lately and its that time of year to start looking at upgrades. One of those possible upgrades could include skis. So what's the consensus on skis for the Axys, keep the stock grippers or upgrade to something else, like SLP Powder Pros, SLP Mohawks, C&A BX, Slydogs or Curve?

Any feedback, thoughts and experience with regard to the Axys and skis is welcome!!!

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Stock. Light and they just work well in all snow conditions. Great ski even on my proclimb. Ive tried all slp skis and they do great in one type of snow and bad in others. Never tried CA because they are so heavy

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Stock. Light and they just work well in all snow conditions. Great ski even on my proclimb. Ive tried all slp skis and they do great in one type of snow and bad in others. Never tried CA because they are so heavy

Have you tried the Mohawks on the axys? What snow conditions do you think they do bad in? thanks

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Hard pack steep sidehills. Since it has that outer lip near the ski edge it doesn't bite into the hill with the confidence I get with a traditional ski bottom profile. It's better than the SLT's though which I would literally have my ski slip out

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Hard pack steep sidehills. Since it has that outer lip near the ski edge it doesn't bite into the hill with the confidence I get with a traditional ski bottom profile. It's better than the SLT's though which I would literally have my ski slip out

Don't the Mohawk skis have 3 ridges on them? If i recall, the ones i saw had an inner, middle, and outer ridge that bites into the snow (like shown below), so should work well in all conditions . . ?

Mohawk Skis.jpg

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah same thing I'm talking about when I referred to it as "lip". I don't dislike the Mohawk, just like the gripper better all around. Mohawk is second on my list. I like the design on the C&A BX ski, but man are those skis heavy when you hold them next to the gripper. The new Cat ski looks like a winner, but it just doesn't perform anywhere near that of the gripper. Too flexible at the tip and the keel isn't wide enough on the bottom. They tried to mimic the Gripper and failed. Funny how the grippers have been around for almost a decade and Cat still can't get to their level.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Another vote for leaving the grippers on.

Id throw money at a set of shocks, I love being able to pound the sled as hard as I can and not feel like I am going to snap something in half (including myself)

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Is anyone else flexing the hell out of their grippers? I love them but man do they flex and deform for me. I've thought of rotating them because they twist on me. Outside edge is always higher then inside edge especially at the rear. Probably not an issue but looks stupid. Ski rubbers also suck. I just wish they were a touch more durable is all I guess.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
on my pro-ride, the mohawks were IMO much better than the grippers. held a sidehill better, turned better, floated better. and the best thing of all, they never did the stupid gripper fold up because of the weak rubbers.

i imagine they will be the same on the axys chassis
i already have a brand new set in the garage for the new sled

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
on my pro-ride, the mohawks were IMO much better than the grippers. held a sidehill better, turned better, floated better. and the best thing of all, they never did the stupid gripper fold up because of the weak rubbers.

i imagine they will be the same on the axys chassis
i already have a brand new set in the garage for the new sled
This! When i put a 3" track on the pro ride it pushed like crazy on and off trail. Axys does this a little as well. Mine will have grippers next year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Don't the Mohawk skis have 3 ridges on them? If i recall, the ones i saw had an inner, middle, and outer ridge that bites into the snow (like shown below), so should work well in all conditions . . ?

I have the Mohawk skis. However, I trimmed them similar to what some people were doing with the Powder Pros. The reason was that the Mohawks, like the Powder Pros, required more effort to make a quick countersteer movement to put the sled on its side in crusty and/or heavier snow. By trimming the ski or just trimming the outer keel at the back, you eliminate that problem. I have seen it done both ways. I prefer the Mohawks as I have them set up to the stock Gripper skis but the Gripper skis work very well for stock skis.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
How about a bump on this......

Anyone else??? Been thinking about changing skis on my new Axys but is it really worth it??????

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I run Carl's cut powder pro's on mine turned better in deep snow don't dart on the trail.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
How about a bump on this......

Anyone else??? Been thinking about changing skis on my new Axys but is it really worth it??????

Running Mohawks this season. Haven't put them on yet, but did ride a sled with them on and it is a slight improvement.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Running Mohawks this season. Haven't put them on yet, but did ride a sled with them on and it is a slight improvement.

That's what I've been looking at but wondering if its worth it or not??? I've run Powder Pros on a few different sleds and had good luck but honestly these grippers are pretty decent.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
That's what I've been looking at but wondering if its worth it or not??? I've run Powder Pros on a few different sleds and had good luck but honestly these grippers are pretty decent.

I rode Grippers all last season and I will be running them tomorrow. Saturday will be my first day running Mohawks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Premium Features