• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017/18 Big Horns N/S Snow conditions

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
The storm that was supposed to hit the northern bighorns completely missed. Lots of wind and maybe 6 inches of new snow. Stay off of the tops and you can find some descent snow. The good spots had no base yet so be careful out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bubblyjock

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
Worland, Wyoming
The South Horns were actually better than I would have thought. We were able to find some untouched meadows and hillsides. Still bottomless but better than expected.

20180104_142410.jpg

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Been up three times so far this year. Rode north of bear lodge once and up by shell reservoir on Friday the 12th. The last storm added about 10" of fresh snow. The snow pack in both areas varies a lot from one spot to the next. It ranges anywhere from nothing to 4+ feet depending on where you look. There is very little base and lots of surprises under the snow. Last weeks warm weather gave it a nice crust below the last snow. Not much depth around bear lodge. We had better luck gaining elevation and either riding south or west from there. There is enough snow to have fun but I still ride somewhat careful.
4a5bf5dd7dac31e11556c6760e4f46fa.jpg
9aa658d9011b62cd20dcafb13fd4c57d.jpg
128a8f9db73bad7a66e8c8fb2137cb63.jpg

M
Jan 12, 2018
Why is the snow in the bighorns always so different than cooke/top of world?

First off, thanks much to all posts here with current riding reports!!

My question is regarding the last several trips ive made to the bighorns and found "bottomless" conditions every time. Blasting through baseless powder seems fun until you find an unfriendly obstacle, or until the fourth 20 min job of getting unstuck!

Have I just hit it wrong each time, or is it a "bighorns thing"?

Do I have to wait till late march to be able to stop with the nose pointed uphill? :face-icon-small-sad

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
South Bighorns

The south horns are usually that way. Our snow must not have the moisture content it takes to create a solid base. Not to familiar with the north side snow type.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
First off, thanks much to all posts here with current riding reports!!

My question is regarding the last several trips ive made to the bighorns and found "bottomless" conditions every time. Blasting through baseless powder seems fun until you find an unfriendly obstacle, or until the fourth 20 min job of getting unstuck!

Have I just hit it wrong each time, or is it a "bighorns thing"?

Do I have to wait till late march to be able to stop with the nose pointed uphill? :face-icon-small-sad
It's a horn thing. All the trees have sugar snow. U think u have this easy line picked out. Then u end up stuck in sugar for 30 minute.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Premium Features