• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low Elevation Clutching

E
Aug 17, 2011
Anyone know a good set up for the PC M8 for 0-3000 ft. elevation? Is a new torque arm/helix necessary or can you get away with just heavier weights (75g-80g) in the primary? Thanks for any suggestions

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
42/40

Orange spring in sec

The strait 36 was having issues and could be used if ground down but 42/40 was the popular setup around here last year. (alaska 0-5k)

42/40 with orange spring almost pulled as hard as my team secondary!

Also look into white rads tcl if your blowing belts

-Aksnopro

E
Aug 17, 2011
So for your elevation (0-5k ft.) you were running the 42/40 and 70g primary weights? I have heard different stories from every dealer I talk to was hoping to hear from some riders.

G
Jan 18, 2012
Low elevation kit. my dealer put mine on for me. i added the Orange spring to the secondary over the summer. HOPING AKsnopro gave me some good advice on that. pretty sure the low elevation kit from cat came with 75g weights and the 42/40 helix. they installed it for free when i talked to them, at first they didnt want to and then after i said well hey you sell M sleds in Low elevation areas....... you should be compensating us for that and giving us the low elevation kit... apparently it was a good arguement cuz they took it and threw it on and gave me the other stuff that was on it also. goodluck

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
I agree the 42/40 worked well, better than the 36 straight

but we saw better belt life and lower temps in the secondary on a test sled using a 44/38, otherwise same setup

F
Dec 28, 2008
Tisdale Saskatchewan
I ride between 1300 and 2000 ft. 71.5 gram weights and a cat purple primary. The purple has the same engagement as the yellow but is 240 lb on the finish instead of the 290 lb finish of the yellow. This will make the weight push harder. Leave the 36 degree in the back. The extra belt pinch is needed for boondocking. If you use the 42/40 helix the steeper angle will load the motor but will reduce belt pinch increading slip= heat. 2011 M8s. One with cat reccomendation 71.5 gram weights yellow spring( in sled from factory) and 40 helix(had to buy helix and weights). Second M8 71.5 gram weights change primary to purple from yellow, 36 helix in back( had to buy weights and a purple spring). The second M8 beats up on the first one in all conditions and runs cooler on the belt. Both recomendations will get similar results, lower engine speed. Why change the helix instead of the primary spring? Spring costs $30.00 and a helix costs $130.00. Marketing 101.
My example was comparing two 2011s. Did the same calibration with the purple spring on a couple of 2012s last year. Worked well.

G
Jan 18, 2012
Do you have a 2012 that has this purple spring in primary, 71.5 gram weights in primary and 36deg helix? how does it work and are you still blowing belts if you did before?

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
Low elevation kit. my dealer put mine on for me. i added the Orange spring to the secondary over the summer. HOPING AKsnopro gave me some good advice on that. pretty sure the low elevation kit from cat came with 75g weights and the 42/40 helix. they installed it for free when i talked to them, at first they didnt want to and then after i said well hey you sell M sleds in Low elevation areas....... you should be compensating us for that and giving us the low elevation kit... apparently it was a good arguement cuz they took it and threw it on and gave me the other stuff that was on it also. goodluck

My dealer said the same, then I used the exact same argument and got the exact same result! free low elevation clutch kit!

F
Dec 28, 2008
Tisdale Saskatchewan
Belt issues on this particular sled were caused by a bad bushing in the secondary. Cat put a completely new one on. No problems since. In regards to the setup works well. Even sweeter with XF gearing.

G
Jan 18, 2012
Belt issues on this particular sled were caused by a bad bushing in the secondary. Cat put a completely new one on. No problems since. In regards to the setup works well. Even sweeter with XF gearing.

No kidding.... man i wish someone else would have figured this out.. guess white rad made that kit for nothing :face-icon-small-dis
lol gotta have some humor with this subject since its been such a serious one.

Glad my arguement worked for you Spanky all you gotta do is know how to use your leverage... and dont forget the 12k you spent at that dealer... they dont forget it. or should i say SHOULDNT.

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
I ran my HC 153" back here in WI and ran:

80 gram cutler adjustable weights with a cutler gold spring. weights were empty.

36* stock helix with a orange cat spring in the secondary. I did have to grind some on the helix to get it not to hang up while shifting. when you take the spring out cycle your clutch fast and slow and you will feel where the hang ups are.

KJP

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
I did try my stock springs also with the 80's and the 36* helix and the 80's were a little heavy. So I would maybe suggest if you want to stick with the stock springs start with the 78's.

KJP

Premium Features