• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1996 XCR 600 Light Mod-Help/suggestions

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
We just used the setup on the SLP website for clutching. It worked very well. For some really weird reason I had to drop down to #25 pilot jets in order to get rid of a low end bog. However this was with 34mm carbs. I believe you will have the 38mm carbs. As for jetting I found the SLP specs were quite rich so it took a little time to dial it in. Make sure your belt deflection and the belt to primary sheave clearance is set to specs.
Seeing as how you have the monoblock engine and 1996 was one of the worst offenders for crank issues you should address the oiling problem of the bearings. Split the case and enlarge and chamfer the oiling holes at the very least. Turn up the oil pump setting while you are at it.

I'm guessing around 34 minutes is what you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETtKkha8gE0

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I'm guessing around 34 minutes is what you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETtKkha8gE0

With the 34mm carbs. If you lowered the floats 1mm most of the problems went away.
The 38mm carbs didn't witness the same problems. Pressure check your needle and seats. Check to make sure the chokes are seated.
Your fuel pump may be leaking into the vacuum line.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I found this a few years ago and kept it. I don't know who wrote it but it has some good info in it. See attachment.

Good info. Basically what I got from that is "Don't buy a 1996 xtra lite triple!!!" What Do I have? A 1996 xtra lite triple with triple pipes lol.

Should I be scared? Or would a tear down and boring of the pto oil port severely decrease my chance of this thing going kaboom?

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
With the 34mm carbs. If you lowered the floats 1mm most of the problems went away.
The 38mm carbs didn't witness the same problems. Pressure check your needle and seats. Check to make sure the chokes are seated.
Your fuel pump may be leaking into the vacuum line.

This would make sense because the PO said the guy he got it from let it sit for 5 years before he sold it. I initially was thinking a cracked pump diaphragm that would cause it to lose prime, but of course, it's flooding the vacuum line to the crank case.

O

olymon

That problem would only show up on the cylinder that the fuel pump pulse line is on. The cylinders are separated by seals and all 3 would not flood if you had that problem.

When tuning your needle bright you can use a brass washer for a #3 screw to fine tune the height. The washer is about half a needle height thick. Or you can buy plastic washers from yamaha for 100 times the price.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
not sure about 96, but xlts were great motors with the stock pipe. when they came out in 93 everything was still piston port, and the extra cylinder made that sled feel more torquey imo. with pipes it turned more high strung. on or off type power. loading up at idle once warmed up is kinda the norm with pipes imo.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Good info. Basically what I got from that is "Don't buy a 1996 xtra lite triple!!!" What Do I have? A 1996 xtra lite triple with triple pipes lol.

Should I be scared? Or would a tear down and boring of the pto oil port severely decrease my chance of this thing going kaboom?

I think you would have a pretty reliable engine if you did that. Check or replace that pto bearing too if you decide to get into it.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I think you would have a pretty reliable engine if you did that. Check or replace that pto bearing too if you decide to get into it.

I will get to tearing in to it as soon as I can. I'll post lots of pictures and videos of everything so hopefully all you fine gentlemen can help me not miss anything that needs replaced in the process!

I tend to get rather busy this time of year, so bear with me as I'm sure progress is going to be slower than I would like it to be

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Good pointers on the XCR motors. I have little knowledge with the XCR's as we normally picked up XLT's and RMK's. I didn't realize they were notorious for being a "bad seed"

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Good pointers on the XCR motors. I have little knowledge with the XCR's as we normally picked up XLT's and RMK's. I didn't realize they were notorious for being a "bad seed"

The XCR mono was basically the same motor. The issue was with harmonics. We witnessed many piston pin circlips rattle out. If you ran the wrong RPM they would come apart. I had 2 XLTs and 2 XCRs, no problems with either. if you clutched it to stay in the RPM band out side the harmonic area,
Don't put a pilot in smaller than a 35. The pilot jet is the only fuel your engine gets when you chop the throttle. Smaller than 35, and you run the risk of a burn down. You may need to go to a leaner slide to compensate for the pilot. Wish I had my old notes.

Edit:Tripple pipes made this motor very finicky, constant jetting.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
That problem would only show up on the cylinder that the fuel pump pulse line is on. The cylinders are separated by seals and all 3 would not flood if you had that problem.

When tuning your needle bright you can use a brass washer for a #3 screw to fine tune the height. The washer is about half a needle height thick. Or you can buy plastic washers from yamaha for 100 times the price.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

The mono 600 had labyrinth crank seals. It can and will pass fuel from one cylinder to the others. It is not a positive seal.
The 96 ultra based motor had oil seals, for the water pump, on the crank.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Little bit of progress. Pulled the hood and nose cone. Also pulled the carbs and cleaned one of them. Carbs are absolutely filthy. I'm surprised it ran at all. It's got 250 mains in it. From my research with the pipes it may like 270s? Thoughts? Completely messed up one pilot jet taking it out they were so bad.

Also, the air screws were all only out just under one turn from snug. Normally they are 1-1/4 to 1-3/4? Is that a problem?
8089b85e16496f726a49c720a2c41ca2.jpg
13aadc93a34d8d43563af54c2612e95b.jpg
978c13be228d1fba1676a27927e5676c.jpg
bc0110ddf6f627835c7153011bc63518.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
the discoloration in there wont hurt anything. long as they are cleaned out with carb spray, and the jets are cleaned. hold them up to the light and mike sure you can see light through the holes. id clean them up, put in new needle/seats, and run it myself. how do the pistons look with your flashlight up the exhaust ports?

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
the discoloration in there wont hurt anything. long as they are cleaned out with carb spray, and the jets are cleaned. hold them up to the light and mike sure you can see light through the holes. id clean them up, put in new needle/seats, and run it myself. how do the pistons look with your flashlight up the exhaust ports?

All that discoloration is crap. Don't want it breaking free and clogging a jet. I took the end of a screwdriver and cleaned the bottom of the bowls all up. Jets are cleaned but I think I'll get a tip cleaner and try to clean up that pilot jet.

I didn't look at the Pistons yet. Thought about it then I got distracted cleaning carbs. I'll get some pictures when I split the case. I'll pull the Pistons out of the jugs and inspect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features