• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stiff ride - 2014 Pro-RMK 600

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Ok, so we've been looking for a better sled for my wife to ride. She likes her little 440 Sno Pro, but it's holding her back.

We found a good deal on a higher mileage Pro-RMK 600 that, according to the internet, should have been a great fit for her. It was on our way to West Yellowstone, so we pulled the trigger.

IMG_20190209_130219.jpg

All I can say is that I'm horribly disappointed. It's not the sled we thought it would be.

The first day out we dubbed it "The tank".

I can side hill my M8 just fine and ride it on edge all day on hard pack or fluff, but I can't side hill this thing worth a crap, and there is no way it'll stay on edge in less than 18" of powder. Even in deep snow, any small bump throws it right back down on it's skis. Just getting it up on edge takes throttle, counter steer, and a pretty good yank from a ~200lb dude all at once. It won't come up at all for my 115lb wife, and I can't ride it on edge at all on hard pack. Nobody else could either.

The sled is in great overall condition for having 7800 miles on it. The dealer went through the clutches and put new belts and slides on it for us. It feels rock solid, runs great, and looks pretty good too.

To keep it from killing my wife, several of us guys took turns riding the tank for our week in Yellowstone. She rode our M8's instead, and did much better on them. (Except she can't start them...) Everyone who rode the tank hated it. I was the lightest rider at ~175lbs geared up. The other guys were ~250lbs, and still though it was stiff, and couldn't get it to stay up on edge at all.

This Pro is completely opposite of what the internet said it should be...

Please, what am I missing???

I have read that the WE shocks ingest water over time, and therefore need rebuilt occasionally. I'm sure these have never been touched, but is that really all that's wrong?

Anybody else find their WE shock equipped Pro getting stiffer over time?

Such a good sled on paper, such a disappointment in reality. :(

At the moment, it's for sale.

I'm not versed in Polaris sleds, and with the big let down, I'm inclined to go back to what I know... I really want her on something that rides well for her, and this sled is definitely not it...

Any guidance appreciated... Or if you'd like to buy it, there's a link in my sig. Perhaps someone who is used to the way Polaris sleds ride would think it great. Everyone who has ridden it so far is coming off a Doo or Cat... ??

Thanks!
Chris

P
Nov 20, 2016
foleyet. ontario
Hey there. I'd say shocks are huge... good fresh stockers are a good start. Check out thr trs upgrade or Carl's rebuild if u get them done which u should.. all 4 shocks play a big part in this sled. With that mileage everything comes into play. Like the bushings in the suspension, steering, springs on all 4 shocks. A good quality low temp grease in the rear skid. I ride the exact sled except a 15. It is a joy for me and I would say does all those things quite easily with minimal input. I run mine super soft I'd say. Even my track is right on the edge of ratcheting. Good luck. The Polaris manual actually has some good starting points for set up on this sled.

Cheers.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Did you adjust preloads on all four shocks at all? If not, softening the front shocks to just keep them on their keepers, more preload on the front track shock, and setting the rear track shock to spec and then fine tuning can make a big difference on this chassis - owned three of them. Assuming none of them are blown or need service. Very sensitive to setup. They are abit harder to get on edge, but easier to hold when there. You guys obviously know how to get on edge.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Did you adjust preloads on all four shocks at all? If not, softening the front shocks to just keep them on their keepers, more preload on the front track shock, and setting the rear track shock to spec and then fine tuning can make a big difference on this chassis - owned three of them. Assuming none of them are blown or need service. Very sensitive to setup. They are abit harder to get on edge, but easier to hold when there. You guys obviously know how to get on edge.

The first thing we did was back off the preload on all four shocks till the springs almost rattle. You could probably pull the front keepers out by hand as they are. None of the shocks are soft, that's for sure! If anything, the shock itself is rock hard. Hitting a bump with one from ski tosses the sled to the side...

Perhaps all they need is fresh oil... If I can't sell it, I'll probably send them to Andy...

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Adjust the ski stance to the narrow setting. Try disconnecting the sway-bar.

Tried the narrow ski stance, but the collars were frozen in the spindles. I have them soaking now...

I've heard yes and no for disconnecting the sway bar, but we didn't try it. Doesn't seem like I should have to with the reviews... That's something I'd try to get the last little bit, not to keep it from tossing itself on it's side with every little bump.

Last edited:

xj1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Wisconsin
Dumped my sway bar from day one. Don’t miss it one bit. I also find myself on the trail a little more than most western riders. She also may benefit from short bars and making sure the bars are in a neutral position in relation to the steering post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
Nov 20, 2016
foleyet. ontario
Buying a sled with 7800 miles, those shocks should have been rebuilt 4 times.... at least. I'd say they are the likely candidate. The steering bushings are not great usually.. if everything is worn out all the adjustments in the world won't make a diff. Imo. I'd give her a chance..

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Buying a sled with 7800 miles, those shocks should have been rebuilt 4 times.... at least. I'd say they are the likely candidate. The steering bushings are not great usually.. if everything is worn out all the adjustments in the world won't make a diff. Imo. I'd give her a chance..

Yup, I'm sure the shocks need a refresh. I may rip them off and send them to Andy this week, since nobody seems interested in it.

I did some checking on the coil dia and all four coils measure close to the larger dia that was offered, so that's not really helping either. (who puts fat guy springs on a 600??)

I am about to order new intake filters and foam too, and a new SPI throttle cable to see if the effort comes down.

Steering seems pretty tight, so I don't think it needs any bushings. I probably will have to find some lower bars for it if we keep it. Why did Poo put such high bars on these?? My wife being 5'4" compounds the problem...

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Well, this problem is no longer mine... I just sold it.

I'm sure it needs a shock service, and I told the buyer as much. Hard to believe that it would make that much difference, but it's either that, or the internet lies.

FWIW, based on this sled, I would say everything you read on the internet about the Pro sleds being great for lighter riders is mostly speculation... I can't see how a smaller/lighter rider could ever be very capable on this machine. At least not your average rider... The bars were way too high for my 5'4" 120lb wife, and even us big boys couldn't sidehill it worth a crap, or get it to climb very well for that matter.

She demo'd a 2017 M6000 Sno Pro ES the other day. On paper, it's a heavier sled, but she could easily pull it up on one ski and ride it on edge after just a little bit of practice. I couldn't do that with the Pro after spending most of a week on it.

Good luck to the next guy!!

Premium Features