• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone know these idiots?

O
Dec 6, 2007
Tell us what you think was wrong with their riding. I watched about half of it and I don't really see the problem. They have about a foot of new on top of what looks like some very set up snow. I don't see any signs that the hill was about to slide... It wasn't even that steep, and all down in the trees. Looks like FUN!

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I'll ride with Bob, and maybe live to ride again.

First 20 seconds of the vid, you got 2 guys stopped in a bad spot, with 2 others cutting the slope above and below them.

From the sound, it appears to be a high traffic area, but would still be nice to see some BC etiquette.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Come on guys in the back country any slopes at any time can cause an issues....had they been in a wide open snow fields blown with wind slab my antenna's would be sending signals to my pace makers but in the trees no problem...

Anything can happen on any slope.

DPG

B

boondocker155

Sep 5, 2013
I don't think it's fair to call them idiots. We know nothing about the aspect of the hill or the snow conditions. The trees would make great anchors. I'd tear that hill up but maybe I'm an idiot too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Tough call.
Any hill can surprise you at any time.
Trees seldom guarantee to be dependable anchors.

But another thing I notice was the appearance of the Dragon trying to do Pro moves and couldn't quite do it as easily...a few times.
The Pros love living life with one ski in the air. The Dragon is a little barn sour when it comes to that. They seem to prefer both skis on the snow. :)

Sure looks like a fun place to ride.

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Trees need to be shoulder width apart to guarantee the snow is anchored. I wasn't there and don't know the conditions but riding multiple people that close on a slope like that is taking a chance... How big of a chance I don't know.

Edit: looks like a blast and I've been guilty of the same riding.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
One of the best videos I've seen in a while, can't wait for snow. Those guys really know how to get after it. I'm not going to judge, I don't know if there coastal, inland, time of year, temperature, whether or not they have a history of the area. To many unknowns to judge.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Actually, they did some good things. There was not a group of guys waiting at the bottom of a hill where the snow would wash out. Also, cutting across the hill is generally safer than going straight up it and then cutting in sideways. After being in one avy, I'm always leary about any hill now. But I do feel better when there are that many trees around.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The first clip - say up to 50secs/1min in - is definitely steep enough to slide - definitely has enough new snow to slide - and definitely does not have enough trees to say they would help prevent that. If you don't recognize that - you need to check yo self.

That said, I have no idea of the knowledge level of the riders and what they did to evaluate the terrain. It's totally possible they had the tools and practice to do that safely.

But generally speaking to Johnny Average watching that - should you go out and ride that slope, with snow that looks like that, with 3 riders on it at once - no.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Agree. Up to the first minute there were too many riders on the same hill and the hill was unsupported(avalanche course wording).
If the hill let go, they would all have been buried with no one available to rescue them.
Other than than having no concept of avalanche safety they seemed to be good riders and were having a blast.

Premium Features