• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Enclosed Trailer Flooring Question

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I've had a couple enclosed trailers, one with LineX and the other is the new Mirage plastic coated floor. Both worked well, each has differences IMO.

I am looking at a gooseneck race trailer I can use for other hobbies and I notice several have the "black coin rubber flooring". I've seen flooring before in Featherlite Race Car Haulers, etc.and they appeared to hold up well to race fuel, degreasers, brake cleaner, water, dirt, etc..

They say it's layed on the plywood floor in one piece, no seams. I guess a guy could just use SLP skins or ski boots, knowing a carbide would probably cut into the hard rubber. Since it's a gooseneck, I'd have to drag them out the back or use the dolly. Do you think you could hose it out still, broom out the snow and ice, mop it on a warm day etc? It looks really nice and appears to be very durable. I know it's a pricey option, that's for sure.

Anyone seen this used in the snowmobile world? Any thoughts or comments?
I figured somebody on here would surely have an opinion! LMAO

Thanks.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Hey Tim,

If it's rubber/plastic, I'd be concerned that spilling the typical oil/grease etc would create a bananna peel effect.

I've been looking at a marine-grade adhesive gel coat that is used to texture fiberglass boat decks - since it would have some grip, and be easily hosed down. It would definitely require ski boots though.

I think I'm going to end up doing diamond-plate with mats and place some of the clear marine gel-texture in the traction areas.

http://www.modulinecabinets.com/photos/photo187.jpg

Best of luck!

MD.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
The blackdot flooring is very nice and the chemicals arn't the issue the skegs are though and will cut it.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I know this has been asked 7 billion times before...

but why will Rhino Liner sprayed on thick NOT work?

I mean yeah your carbides will eventually cut it, but is that really a bad thing? I mean even with that mirage flooring eventually my carbides are gonna wear that out ...

I've been towing my parents Charmac the last couple days, and it has the plain wood flooring, and after slipping sliding, having to get running starts just to load the damn sleds, etc, it's making my Mirage look more appealing all the time...

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I know this has been asked 7 billion times before...

but why will Rhino Liner sprayed on thick NOT work?

I mean yeah your carbides will eventually cut it, but is that really a bad thing? I mean even with that mirage flooring eventually my carbides are gonna wear that out ...

I've been towing my parents Charmac the last couple days, and it has the plain wood flooring, and after slipping sliding, having to get running starts just to load the damn sleds, etc, it's making my Mirage look more appealing all the time...

The Rino coating is expensive. The best and most durable deal is a marine-grade fiberglass and add sand for traction. Very durable.

You can buy a truck bed liner for $20 at the junk yard and make tracks or cut out a section the size of a ski and strap it to the ski and slide it around without hurting the carbides or trailer floor.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Dogmeat - lots of way to do this of course.

I got a quote for $2K to put in Rino lining - and to know that that floor was going to get trashed - forget it. Ski boots do the trick, but get old - especially when it's cold. I don't mind investing in good flooring material, but I'd be more apt to invest if I know it's not going to get trashed.

;-)

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
I've been towing my parents Charmac the last couple days said:
DM, I've got a Charmac and was tired of the exact same things. This summer I spent 50 bucks for a two part epoxy garage floor paint kit. It's light grey.
A couple of buddies donated old truck bed liners they had laying around, and I cut runners out of it.

I've already spilled oil and gas on the floor :(, no problems, and the sleds load so much easier with the bed liner it just about makes me laugh everytime I load them!

Total was about three afternoon of work. Sure was worth it! Bagger

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Thanks for the input. I ended up buying a trailer that has the front/cabinet area in the grey dot floor. I'm going to just put rubber backed mats here, as this is the area we're in/out of the most. The remainder of the trailer was done in diamond plate flooring. I'm going with marine grade gray carpet for this year. I'm thinking of having it LineX'd over the summer. I think it will bond with the aluminum and should wear just fine. Agree?

I got too good of a deal on this brand new gooseneck, only thing wrong is the floor for sledding.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I just put some garage flooring in an exercise room in my house. While I was messing with my trailer I snapped a few together on the floor. 300.00 later and my trailer floor is killer, holds up to harsh chemicals, and doesn't hold ice. The diamond plate pattern makes it not too slippery.

At Costco between 79.99-114.00 a box, depending on if it's on sale.

http://http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11038308&search=garage%20flooring&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=garage%20flooring&Ntt=garage%20flooring&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
I just put some garage flooring in an exercise room in my house. While I was messing with my trailer I snapped a few together on the floor. 300.00 later and my trailer floor is killer, holds up to harsh chemicals, and doesn't hold ice. The diamond plate pattern makes it not too slippery.

http://http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11038308&search=garage%20flooring&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=garage%20flooring&Ntt=garage%20flooring&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Link doesn't work

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11038308&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114|49244|49248&N=4014101&Mo=3&pos=1&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=49248&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10619-Cat49244&topnav=

Not sure if this link will work or if its what he was talking about. If the link doesn't work go to www.costco.com then Auto-Shop Equipment-Flooring and its called MotoFloor. Looks interesting. Sunridge Sledhead can you post pics of it in your trailer.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
How do you do a V-nose with the CostCo stuff?

It looks like they come in square tiles.

Are you supposed to cut them to fit the nose?

M

Mortgage Paul

Dec 28, 1999
No Town
www.TeamMortgageAndCredit.com
Motofloor or Line-x or Rhino.

That rubber nub flooring sucks when snow falls off, melts around the nubs and turns into a thick sheet of ice and you can't scrape it out either. Even if you try to broom out the snow , its a PITA.

SLP ski skins are your friend too.

I've been wanting to do the motofloor thing since I saw it, just haven't had time.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV

It's on sale right now, $30 off a box.

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
I have carpet in mine and love it. I do however have access to a heated shop. Drop the front door and put a boxfan in it and leave the backdoor open a little. By morning everything is totally dry.

Ski skins are always used. Even used them in my other trailers with nothing on the floor. My floors have always looked new when I sold them. I will never use ski guides again. They suck.LOL

J
We spent 1600.00 for Custom Linings.. It's a hot process and it works VERY VERY well. We are in our second season with sleds and there is not ONE scratch in the floor. It's better than the speedliner i have in my work pickup.

We took and cut up an old plastic bed liner for ski guides and track "traction strips" for the front and rear door... works sweet

We do however have to park trailer and sleds inside heated shop to melt everything off... floor does build up and become a scating rink after about a month of riding....

T
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
I have a 4 place enclose trailer that I purchased new. I didn't like the idea of tearing up the original floor and tossed up the idea of plastic covering too. However, here in Mi. sleds with studs will tear up the plastic covering pretty quick. To make it easy, I just bought some pre-sanded 1/4" plywood and screwed it to the existing floor. To preserve the wood, I applied some waste oil and brushed it into the wood (it even gives the wood a nice, textured look). During initial sled start-ups for the day, skegs, studs are embeded into the wood, and with belt and tracks also cold, driving the sleds out the trailers seems to be hard on them, also the exhaust inside the trailer is a pain to deal with too. So, I just dolly the sleds in and out. It makes it so much easier to deal with. And no trailer liners to deal with. It never seems to be a problem getting people to help put the sleds on dollies to tow to the correct tie-down location.

Premium Features