• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gauges in cold weather

Idaho Special

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
What are you using for hour, volts, and temp gauges? Any problems with displays not working in sub-freezing temps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
..... If it is powered by the bike.... With a battery... When it runs on it's in battery you will have issues....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Idaho Special

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
I was looking at the Trail Tech Striker for the temp, volt, hour meter function. I contacted Trail Tech support concerning the 32-140 degrees operating temperature range. They told me that below 32 degrees, the display will not function correctly. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem on a snowbike.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
I have I have the striker on mine and never had any issues with it operating below 32 degrees... Now don't ask me how cold it got because I don't know but it was below 32... I would absolutely recommend it

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
I have the voyager and I keep breaking it. After 2 seasons of -10 to plus 40 F riding half the LCD's don't work. Now granted i also don't have a garage so bikes stay covered but cold all winter. Probably not the best on electronics

M
Jan 14, 2004
I was looking at the Trail Tech Striker for the temp, volt, hour meter function. I contacted Trail Tech support concerning the 32-140 degrees operating temperature range. They told me that below 32 degrees, the display will not function correctly. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem on a snowbike.

Yes I have experienced problems. I have 2 TTO temp gauges, one on each bike. One works perfectly and the other drops LCD bars on the display when it gets cold. The flakey one always starts out fine but quickly stops working.

M5

Idaho Special

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
Well as Trail Tech said it would, my new Trail Tech TTO voltmeter worked fine in the garage, but the display started acting up when outside in 30 degree weather. What other brand of volt gauge works in the cold temps? Any problems with KOSO?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Gauges

I've used both the trail tech and Koso temp gauges and trial tech hour meters. Neither are bullet proof. The Koso temp gauge requires power from the bike and I found a little difficult to see in bright sunlight, but worked at temps as low as I have experienced around -15f. I replaced one Koso temp gauge due to failure but don't know cause. I gave up on the trail tech hour meters after two failures, uncertain if cold was cause but both went blank. Currently waiting for a replacement for a new trail tech temp that I just installed and reads 10-15 degrees low at coolant temps of 200f. My prior trail tech temp gauge on my fx has worked for two years in all temps experienced in winter riding. I'm gonna look for something not made in China next go round. Fwiw.

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
my tto temp loses bars in the cold but my hour doesnt for some reason. temp is even buried in the bar pad to try to insulate. anyways its still legible to tell the temp with one bar missing. I would like a voyager have my worries about the screen. glad to hear some are working.

Premium Features