• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gsxr 1000??

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Nice pics. I’m glad to finally hear from someone who rides something like I’m thinking. I see you went with an R6 frame did you change the fork rake angle? Sport bikes are more vertical. Also do you notice the weight difference?

Actually the R6 is raked out further than my 14 yz450f
(About 5 degrees different)

Common misconception since the fairings hide visible fork rake angle.

I’m planning to make the rake steeper to help handling quickness.

Of course the weight is noticeable.

I’m planning a bunch of small changes for this fall also. (Bars, riser, narrower exhaust, convex track, usd forks, exhaust skid plate and one tooth lower on the gears) currently 13-20 and 17-20

Last edited:

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
K
Jan 3, 2017
I’ve seen that but he is using his home made skid I believe which I don’t really want to do. I’ve been thinking about weight lately and I’m trying to figure what weight to shoot for I figure my kx5LT is around 300#?? I’d love if this thing came in around 350 but that maybe a little unreasonable. I also think upgrading to the new ts ARO ski should help.

G
Apr 5, 2018
I hope you take the time to build this and sort it out. Moving track under weight mass is key to light handling, it lets bike get on top of snow .It allows you to run more weight and not sit so deep in snow.Less weight is always good, balance is were it at .See" moved forward "Yes its more work but next big step in snowbikes kits will be with frames if no stand alone snowbike out there.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I see those bikes and I cant help but think 650 lb turbo Apex. Yah you can ride them in the trees but for how long before you are worn out is the real question.

M5

G
Apr 5, 2018
I know what you are saying,but if you ever get a chance to ride vintage 650 tri in cheney frame that is set up, you can ride all day and it only feels heavy when you have to push in truck.Set up means big disks, in the dirt stopping is what its about it still a lot of mass.

G
Apr 5, 2018
r6 might just be the sweet spot.I know we always say you cannot have too much power but if you put 250 in 125 frame you get a bike that's handles like a 250. I look at number around 100 to 110 as were the sweet spot is .Still looking for r6 but, for now going to put 700yamaha in rotax frame with clutch moved to middle on jack shaft. Not sure what I will get but I know it will sound great.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
These i4 motors need to be revving to have the response needed in deep snow.

That might be more of an r6 thing, having an fz6 myself, a brother with a gsxr6 and a close friend with an r6 I've found that these yamaha engines don't really come alive until after 8k rpm. I'm sure 17,500 rpm over snow has a pretty nice feeling to it though lol. Have you considered a triple for a snowlike build? Something like an fz09 could still be (relatively) light and has tons more torque.

Sweet build by the way, would love to see it in action

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
That might be more of an r6 thing, having an fz6 myself, a brother with a gsxr6 and a close friend with an r6 I've found that these yamaha engines don't really come alive until after 8k rpm. I'm sure 17,500 rpm over snow has a pretty nice feeling to it though lol. Have you considered a triple for a snowlike build? Something like an fz09 could still be (relatively) light and has tons more torque.

Sweet build by the way, would love to see it in action

I considered an fz09 for sure.
The $1100 price tag on this r6 helped my decision.

I think it’s a matter of proper gearing. (Going lower this year)

Also considering a header and or cam for midrange torque.

K
Jan 3, 2017
I don’t know that a gsxr 1000 motor would be the best it is just what I have. Supposedly this motor has good mid range from my research never driven one so I’m not sure. Im finding out this motor is a little more complicated then my kx5! Ive just started disassembling the bike haven’t had much time to work yet on it hopefully later this month. I’ve been thinking about the air box. The way it is set up I think it is going to ingest a lot of snow. Not sure how I will change it. It may depend on how much room I have in the other frame. Here is a before picture hopefully in a few months there will be an after.

Premium Features