• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Truck?

Best overall truck?

• Ford F150

Votes: 277 32.1%
  • GMC Sierra 1500

Votes: 65 7.5%
  • Chevrolet 1500

Votes: 61 7.1%
  • Chevrolet 1500HD

Votes: 137 15.9%
  • Toyota

Votes: 85 9.8%
  • Dodge

Votes: 239 27.7%

• Total voters

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
The key is HAD problems. I didn't have any issues after the J35 recall was done on my 07.5 Dodge 3500. I deleted the emissions stuff 10,000 miles after the J35 mainly for fuel mileage. I would take the 07.5+ without the emissions over the 04-07 5.9. The exhaust brake and 68RE trans make the 07.5 a better truck IMO.

I agree with the HAD problems...the 08's were better off, and so far my 09 hasn't had any problems *knock on wood*. I'm dumping the stock exhaust as soon as the warranty is up...just unplugging the EGR got me 1.5-2MPG more than with it in.

F
Nov 28, 2007
I've had the F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 with 5.4L in model years 01, 04, and 08. Needless to say I've been happy. The 01 had 3.5X gearing and the 04/08 with 3.73 gears. I much prefer the 3.73 gears.

Hwy driving at 2000 RPM (74MPH) I get 18-19 MPG. Over that and it drops to 15 MPG.

City driving is a consistant 14-15 MPG.

I've towed 4 place ATV, 2 place Sled/ATV/Ranger, and a 17ft Crestliner Fishhawk. The boat doesn't affect MPG at all, the others knock the MPG down to about 12-13. Sleds do seem to buck the wind the most.

None of the trucks have gone past 85K before being traded off so I can't speak to longevity but in those miles I have had ZERO issues with all of them.

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
I have the 1500hd chev and I am pretty happy with it. I used to have a 2500 but I wanted a few more options so I traded it in for the 1500. The 1500hd has pretty much identical running gear as my 2500. The dealer told me chev wanted a truck to compete with for in payload and towing so instead of beefing up there 1500 the took a 2500 and put the 1500hd badge. I know salemen tell you what you want to hear but it has 8 bolt rims and it handles 4sleds just like my 2500.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i had a 08 gmc 1500 sle crew z71, HATED IT. Cabs small, interiors cheap, power was mediocre, great on fuel.

Got a 2010 ram sport 4x4 1500 and LOVE IT, huge cab, very nice interior, unreal power, decent on fuel.

I compared the ram to a full load 6.2 chevy and the ram was 5gs cheaper with 20s instead of 18s, the dodge has heated/cooled seats compared to just heated, the dodge interior has a pleather raped dash full center console and console shift, dodge even has heater steering wheel. The dodge has 5 link rear suspension compared to the 18th century leaf springs on the chevy and rear disks over the drums on the chevy.

The NBS dodge puts the older rams to shame in the quality department and if your in to get a new truck i would seriously test drive one.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You need to haul one sled in the back. As in 1 sled. Correct? One?

Despite what this board will tell you.....you absolutely don't need a 3/4 ton, or diesel, or any of that non sense. Just spending more money up front, plus fuel, plue maintenence for no good reason. A 1/2 ton will be MORE than good enough for that job, plus you get a more compliant suspension for driving around empty.

Drive a few and buy what you like.....asking for advice on what car to buy is like asking what to have for dinner. No one can agree and everyone has their preferences.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I've always been partial to Chevy and GMC 1/2 ton pickups, but a 1500 HD doesnt make sense to me really, at that point a 3/4 ton would be the better option. Dodge 1/2 tons are junk, up until the most recent models. All Dodge interiors are poor in all models compared to GM of Ford up until the last two model years. Tundras seem to be good machines, I see plenty of ppl haulin sleds with Tundras now. I'm sure an F150 would be good. they sell like crazy, so either ford ppl are crazy or ford pickups are actually good ;) Go out and test drive. But I wouldnt bother with the heavy half ton chevy.....

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I've driven the new chevy's (07+) and a new ford 5.4 rental. I ended up buying the Tundra. With the 6 speed transmission and 381hp with over 400lb ft of torque it pulls amazingly well for a 1/2 ton truck. I wouldn't hook it up to our livestock trailer and try pulling that but it did very well with a 4 place trailer and 4 sleds on it. I always have more than enough power. Keeping it below the speed limit is half the battle!

Ford's have the best looking interior followed by the NEW dodges. Then I would tie toyota and chevy for last place. Unless you get the limited package on the tundra with all of the leather, then it looks real slick!

MPG: with the stock tires I was getting 17-18 on average but I COULD get around 20 if I was trying to get good mileage. With the 35" mud tires I have on it now it struggles to get 14 in town, but man does it look mean! :)

I never thought I would own anything besides a GM product but I went out and just test drove a new Tundra and knew that's what I was going to buy!

Like an above post said, you literally need to just go out and test drive each of them...you'll know which one you like best after that, trust me. Well at least I did :)

-Justin

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
I went and test drove all 3 companies offerings All 2007's, all Quad/Crew cabs, Loaded, all ~30K miles. This is what i learned for test driving each.

Ford, Decent truck but my least favorite of the 3. Mainly because it seemed underpowered. That was my biggest qualm with it. Otherwise, interior and fit and finish is nice enough, given it is a truck. Ford Trucks obviously carry a strong reputation. I logged 30K miles behind the wheel of a F450 powerstroke for work. I beat that thing hard, generally towing 10,000+ pounds. Held up decently fine other than the 6.0's usual head gasket issues.

Chevy I actually drove 2 of them, one LT with the 5.3 and one with the 6.0 Vortecmax. Again, nice trucks, look more upscale and "nice" in the interior department. I didn't care for the giant over sized Center console of the LTZ but otherwise a really nice, classy truck. 5.3 made decent power, felt better than the Ford. 6 liter felt strong plenty of power in the half ton chassis, you'll run out of transmission life and brakes before you do horsepower.

Dodge was a nice truck as well, I'd put the interior above the Ford but below the LTZ chevy. Hemi offered plenty of power as well. I'm sure it would do just fine towing.

All 3 trucks are very similar. Honestly you need to go drive each one and make your own decision. Any Decent dealership will encourage this. I actually drove all 3 in the same day, at the same dealership. They even said i could hook them onto my car trailer because they knew i was planning on towing with the truck. In the end I couldn't sign the line on any of them. None of them made me totally happy and work was a bit rocky at the time I couldn't justify the expense. I'll keep driving the old truck i already own. Its paid for and runs fine. $25K for a truck will buy a lot of fuel.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
i'd go with the silverado, best ride, good power. love mine, got the 5.3l, thing gets awesome gas mileage and drives like a car. interior is slick, very well made. i just bought mine a few months ago and these cost a little more than the rest but well worth the money...

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
As seen on someone's sig on here...

If it has spark plugs, it's not really a truck.

Put some real trucks in the poll.

Could care less about brand... but bring a gas motor machine to our altitude & they're good for a laugh... that's about it imo.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
but bring a gas motor machine to our altitude & they're good for a laugh... that's about it imo.

Yeah pretty much how my 2002 and 2006 Chevy 1500's with 5.3L's felt. With a 2 place trailer I was literally floored out almost all the way up the canyon. Not to mention horrible gas mileage because of that. Went through a trans on the 2002 near 100K.

My chipped 2005 and current stock 2008 Chevy Duramax's are in an entirely different league. You need a turbo diesel up here to tow anything efficiently. I can now set cruise and stay at low rpms with the extra pulling power. 6spd Auto is nice too. My point is, once you buy a turbo diesel, you will NEVER go back to a gas truck. I'd rather buy a used turbo diesel than a new gas.

Last edited:
T
Nov 26, 2007
I've had access to MANY trucks over the years through a family business, 1/2 tons to 1 tons mostly. Gassers to diesels.

Going off of what you've indicated so far I would look around for a used Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and see if you can find one with the Z-85 package. I had a 2002 ext cab with this and it's a towing package, stiffer swaybar, and trans cooler, along with some other stuff geared toward basically making that occasional tow less "adventurous"

I got a reg cab 8' box 1500 w/ 5.3, 210,000 miles on it, gets 15mpg but it could use a tune up... I've had this truck a long time, even kept it through the years I had a 1 ton Ford Diesel and once I stopped needing the 1 tons capacity I dumped it and so far a 1/2 ton has been more than enough for my "trucking" needs. ie, downsized a LOT of other stuff.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Well having had a new 05 Ford supercrew, a new 07 Dodge Quad cab, and a new 10 Dodge crew cab I can offer the following:
Doing what you are doing, with 95% of your driving being an empty truck, all these guys saying "diesel diesel" are nuckng futs. Yes, we all know a diesel hauls more than a gasser but when it's only needed a fraction of the time for your needs.. it ceases to be a viable option.
Now the 05 Ford had a great interior, lots of room, zero underseat storage in the rear, good heat ventilation in the back, liked the heater diffusers in the dash.. very comfy rig. Only downside was low on power, and the one I had burned oil like it was free. That being said I know I had a lemon and not eveyone is like that. 19mpg at 65mph hwy empty. The 4 spd trans hurt it.
The 07 Dodge had a comofrtable interior, logged over 110,000 miles in it, very good power, mileage similar to the ford at 20-21, but the quad cab was barely bigger than the others extra cab. 5 spd trans worked well, MDS helped economy, towed 8-9,000 lbs easily enough for that truck with 3.55 gears. Of course it worked harder than a diesel, that's just common sense. Kind of loud for cab noise. But even to the day I traded it off,never burned a drop of oil, fantastic in that regards.
The 10 Ram has em all beat hands down. SUPER quiet inside, even with the sunroof. Wind noise is non-existant. Power out the hoo-haw with a tuner added to the stock 395/405 hp tq (And diesel fans shuld note when the power stroke that really jumpstarted the diesel revolution in 95 it was what? (225hp/425tq?) Point being any of the newer bigbore gassers make plenty of power for the OP's expected usage and then some.
All boiled down at the end of this long winded rant is I LOVED the supercrew, looks, decent mileage / power etc. Liked the 07 Ram, but have a mancrush on th the 10 Ram, it's winner winner chicken dinner in my experience. Looks, power to spare, comfort, space inside you name it. Only complaint is the small box, and really, isn' t that what most guys are looking for anyhow? :face-icon-small-win

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
If I was buying a 1/2 ton pickup I would buy the tundra hands down. Right now I run a 3500 chevy dually with duramax, its been a good truck.
I'd really like to find a gmc cc dually in mint condition low low miles with the last year of the 502, i'd slap a whipplecharger on it and never look back.

D
Nov 20, 2005
i have 2 friends who have the tundra and they both really like them. they bought the 2010 i think . iknow they told me they have around 380 hp

Premium Features