• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will you buy a first year sled without a demo ride?

What are your requirements for ordering/buying an Alpha Cat?

• I will only order/buy one if I have ridden one

Votes: 65 30.4%
  • I will order/buy one if I have heard positive reviews from someone I know or trust

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I trust Rob Kincaid and David McClure

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • I have no problem buying a sled that myself and no one else has ridden

Votes: 63 29.4%

• Total voters

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
Dealer in salt lake told me yesterday they will have one “on display” in about 2weeks. No demo rides. At the Yellowstone expo you will be able to ride one out in a field (on flat ground) “for a few minutes”. Better than nothing i suppose. Maybe someday Cat will be healthy enough to have a multitude of color choices.

Which dealer? I want to go see it!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Just talked to my dealer here in Oregon, says he is getting one for demo's in a couple weeks. Said he's already snowchecked a bunch.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Alpha One Snow checked

I voted wrong in this poll.

The videos and reviews have swayed me.
Today I snow checking an Alpha 165"
I can hardly wait!!!

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think I'm going to retrofit my 16 LTD to a
154 ALPHA...
6tooth drivers (aftermarket possibility) or longer chaincase?
I think if they make a 6tooth driver, the antistab will get a constant workout...

Alpha ......

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Looks like they have been getting some demos in. Good move Cat, reviews are all coming in good, and starting to see more video as well.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Just wait till this time next year. Probably pick them up for 10k all day long
Tar.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
My plans

I'm not buying an Alpha, only because it's a 2 smoker. I have however ordered the 165 track, skid, and drivers to install into my King Cat, should make a great sled a little bit better. The worst thing that can happen is I'll wreck the track, and have to put the stock 3" back in with my Kmod, but if it works well, I'll order an Alpha in 2020 for a backup sled and add boost.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Just wait till this time next year. Probably pick them up for 10k all day long
Tar.

I can't even find a used 2018 for that price. If you know of one let me know! I'll bet it takes 2 years to get down to 10k for the Alpha. Fortunately most people don't ride all that much so that leaves some good used options.

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
I'm not buying an Alpha, only because it's a 2 smoker. I have however ordered the 165 track, skid, and drivers to install into my King Cat, should make a great sled a little bit better. The worst thing that can happen is I'll wreck the track, and have to put the stock 3" back in with my Kmod, but if it works well, I'll order an Alpha in 2020 for a backup sled and add boost.
I’ve had the same thoughts about adding the mono rail to my Sidewinder. But there may be problems if you want reverse. I bought a mountain cat Aluminium driveshaft to lighten things up. I didn’t install it when I noticed that it was missing reverse splines.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I’ve had the same thoughts about adding the mono rail to my Sidewinder. But there may be problems if you want reverse. I bought a mountain cat Aluminium driveshaft to lighten things up. I didn’t install it when I noticed that it was missing reverse splines.
Buy drivers and put on to ur shaft.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Like its already been stated, its only the skid that's new. Its going to be extremely tippy, so you will need to learn how to ride like that. [/B][/U][/U]Cat also mentioned that the first prototype design was a hacked up factory skid in 2013 and they still own and use the sled and it has never broke. So if 2 stock rails bolted together and stock rear components cut and welded to work were made to perform I'm sure there won't be a problem with this. Would be cool to try, but not the sled for me. I'll be hanging out on my 17 for another year or two.

I am not sure if a demo would help here or not, opinions are already formed and most likely wont change.

Its going to be extremely tippy, so you will need to learn how to ride like that

C
Mar 15, 2018
i bought a 17MC without riding one. it has been great, no regrets. I like having a green sled. too many sheeple out there. if i ever see more cats than the others around here, i will change brands

That's kind of a goofy criteria for choosing a sled (or anything else for that matter). choosing something because the majority of users prefer it is one thing, but to choose something because the majority DON'T like it??, that's interesting to say the least. I'm sure you could shop around and find a Moto-ski or maybe a John Deere liquifire for sale. There was a local selling an Evinrude not long ago.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
I am not sure if a demo would help here or not, opinions are already formed and most likely wont change.

Its going to be extremely tippy, so you will need to learn how to ride like that
Ive been watching every review, hearing easy to ride, stable on a side hill, effort less. I am sure it will be more responsive so will catch you off guard a few times tell you adapt. Not much difference than every change in chassis that I was around for. The change to m series, then to pro climb then to the new narrow front end in 2016.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Yep, when I stuck the narrow front on my 2014 first ride out I was dropping it on its side every time I pulled it over, didn’t take long to dial back the effort. Same on the 2018 MC. Probably the same on the Alpha. Couple of rides an it will be completely natural, and if you try to go back to your old sled, it will feel like a pig. :face-icon-small-hap

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE

Buy drivers and put on to ur shaft.

Don’t mean to side track too much but no center hex on steel drive shaft. Unless that’s not needed?

5DC785D5-7F95-4E39-98F3-F0034987588E.jpg

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Good catch

Don’t mean to side track too much but no center hex on steel drive shaft. Unless that’s not needed?
Ya, apparently it's not gonna work on the 4S as the driveshafts are different (meaning I would lose reverse). Might still do it and go to another belt drive if like i did on my 1100T if I can find a kit for the 4S.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
That's kind of a goofy criteria for choosing a sled (or anything else for that matter). choosing something because the majority of users prefer it is one thing, but to choose something because the majority DON'T like it??, that's interesting to say the least. I'm sure you could shop around and find a Moto-ski or maybe a John Deere liquifire for sale. There was a local selling an Evinrude not long ago.

took er a little far there. not my criteria, just a fun aspect. proclimbs had a bad rep from the mountain riders elite. like 95% polaris and doo out in my honey holes. none of my friends would even look at one. i read up, asked dumb questions here, and saw all their main issues were addressed, even some of the weight. when they dropped the case and narrowed the boards i was sold. i like showing up with a sled that has the lowest expectations and then hangs with the best of em.
just a fun little slice of life i enjoy but ill prolly get another thumbs down for this,
welcome to the cat section sheeple :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features