• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo OR Sidekick Turbo (AXYS)

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
with the 7lb spring that comes with the kit, is anyone detonating at elevation with pump gas??

I'm not a turbo expert and what I'm about to write is more "cocktail napkin" math than something to 100% hang your hat on. That said, when going on a trip (new elevation) here is what I do to figure out how much boost I can get away with.

Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7psi. Obviously, our sleds were designed to run on 91 octane at this level without issue. In my experience, you cannot push more than 16.5-17ish total air pressure on pump gas without running into DET problems. So at near sea level riding this would mean you could run about 3 (maybe) psi with good fuel and not have any problems. (I'm assuming you are riding 1,000-2,000 feet in this scenario and *starting* at sea level).

Now, lets apply this math to elevation. At 7000 feet atmospheric pressure is 11.3psi; at 8000 feet atmospheric pressure is 10.9psi. At 5psi I'm somewhere between 15.9 and 16.3 psi. Obviously, the higher I go up the less net pressure there is. (boost + atmosphere). The sled has been 100% fine on pump gas at these pressures (haven't hit det yet).

At 11,000 feet atmospheric pressure is somewhere around 9.7. So running 7 puts you around 16.7psi - which is within possible but its not a risk I'd want to take.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. There are other factors at work here too. Temperature, charge air temps (which will go up as you run more boost) etc.

End of story, if you are looking to run pump gas, run the 5psi spring and be on the safe side. Keep the 7, some av gas and the clutch setup that comes with the sled if you want to add an extra 20ish horse.

PM me for clutch setup at 5.

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Well said... I as well would not go over 5 with pump gas. For me at my elevation and barometric pressure I think 4 would be safer.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
After multiple rides with my Silber Axys in 3ft or more with one ride pushing 4ft I haven't experienced the exhaust plugging up.

It's plugged to begin with, with that 120 degree bend coming right off the turbo and the external dumping almost backwards into that bad bend making a cluster of exhaust flow.... Your just used to not having much power:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
I ran 7lbs at sea level with 2 gallons of 110. Never had any issues. I know some people are running 7lbs on straight pump at sea level and are having no issues but I wouldn't recommend it.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I ran 7lbs at sea level with 2 gallons of 110. Never had any issues. I know some people are running 7lbs on straight pump at sea level and are having no issues but I wouldn't recommend it.

What octane pump gas and is it ethanol?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Rode a sidekick in a pine this weekend. With all the talk I had big expectations. I had heard bottom end was better than stock and how flawless they run. Well, the bottom end is not better than stock and it sputtered a few times when mashed from an idle or just above. It had an oil less turbo upgrade and tial exhaust. Don't get me wrong, it ran great but wasn't as good as I expected. If you were going 5 or 10 MPh it was awesome but the bottom end fell short for me. Granted, I can ride my buddies supercharged pro any time I want. The sidekick is not even close on the bottom but his pulley belt broke and no spare. I guess I want to know if it is running right or is he unlucky and something is wrong?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It did have the mta on it. He is from North Dakota and was riding at lower elevation some of the time so they told him to run the tial exhaust for reasons I can't remember. It is just from engagement to where it really spools that I was depressed about. No different than any other turbo I've had and then add in the sputtering. Been about 3 years since I had a turbo and expected more, from what I was hearing.
I was not comparing it to a sc. Really! I just expected the bottom end to be twice as good as it was and no sputtering since you can't tune it.

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Needs to switch over to the Garret. GT. MTA is a big end turbo, super long legs.

Make sure airbox isn't cracked and clutching is up to date. Guessing he doesn't have the new secondary spring.

Nobody I know has had a complaint. That's 6-8 sleds. So thinking there is some problem.

And sorry, seemed like you were compairing SC and turbo. My bad.

Last edited:
C
Nov 15, 2009
Breckenridge, Co
I have finally had the chance to ride my sled. All I can say is WOW! The crew over at Silber did an amazing job on this. I am not sure I can ever ride a stock sled again. If you are on the edge call Silber, you will not regret it.

Thank you Silber!

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I have finally had the chance to ride my sled. All I can say is WOW! The crew over at Silber did an amazing job on this. I am not sure I can ever ride a stock sled again. If you are on the edge call Silber, you will not regret it.

Thank you Silber!

I have special deals going...PM me for details :face-icon-small-win

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
In response to an earlier question, yes, the basic BD GT2860 has way better low end than the MTA. Not even close in my mind

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
That's a tough call. I know a lot of people that think the GT is better on bottom and the GTX is better on top. I run the GTX and like it, but the sidekick with the GT is better on bottom than mine. Granted I am running an intercooler more boost and heavier weights......

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
It did have the mta on it. He is from North Dakota and was riding at lower elevation some of the time so they told him to run the tial exhaust for reasons I can't remember. It is just from engagement to where it really spools that I was depressed about. No different than any other turbo I've had and then add in the sputtering. Been about 3 years since I had a turbo and expected more, from what I was hearing.
I was not comparing it to a sc. Really! I just expected the bottom end to be twice as good as it was and no sputtering since you can't tune it.

You need to ride a standard Sidekick before you give a review... The Tial and MTA are both gonna make the sleds bottom end worse. Since the mapping is for the Gerrett GT and standard exhaust I'm sure it's not gonna be very clean running.
Don't know why anyone would go that route with the Sidekick anyway, at 7psi your not gonna gain crap on top end ... At 15psi it would be a different story.

Premium Features